Support thread 3 - further blanketeering

(509 Posts)
tribpot Sat 16-Jun-12 08:16:45

Oh no! The previous thread has become full and suddenly we need a new one, with no way of linking old to new. I hope people will find this one. smile

This is a continuation of our thread supporting MNers creating blanket squares for Woolly Hugs. All are welcome.

Ophelia, you're on - I've put you above the line where 'here be dragons' as otherwise it's only DAISY and me representing the North of England, with Formerly technically on the right latitude but in another country grin If you live just south of the line, I'm moving the line down!

I'm surprised to hear Chester is short on wool shops, I would have thought it'd have a few naice places.

I'm off today to my 'knitting with colour' workshop so I am insanely excited to learn how I've been doing it wrong all this time.

PurplePidjin Sat 16-Jun-12 10:12:53

grin Todaysa

Soupy, i thought you'd be glad to have company?

MOS i shall crochet up a little boat specially smile

purplewithred Sat 16-Jun-12 10:14:56

Hello! knitting right now.

MOSagain Sat 16-Jun-12 10:15:29

ooh Purple, glad you are here. Before I start (hopefully in an hour when DD at ballet) can you tell me which colour would set off your boat best? Pale blue or a darker blue?

PurplePidjin Sat 16-Jun-12 10:19:07

Either, i'll be doing the boats in beige and the sails in whatever leftovers I've got enough of. So i can match the boat to the background iyswim.

Stripes would be cool if you fancy a challenge?

MOSagain Sat 16-Jun-12 10:20:24

shock ooh I don't think so, not just yet, clearly you over estimate my abilities! I learnt to knit less than a month ago and have so far achieved two plain (and not too wobbly) squares. Stripes really would be pushing it!

RedRosie Sat 16-Jun-12 10:23:44

Simple squares are GOOD.

Simple squares are ESSENTIAL.

this is good as all my squares are simple

I was thinking of a mega-poem incorporating all the regular's names? It will need some planning though ...

HairyPotter Sat 16-Jun-12 10:28:12

Hello, imcompetent knitter here again!

Right!! I'm now on my 3rd that's right! 3rd attempt at knitting a plain square. Plain! Nothing else! And I still manage to make an arse of it.

When I cast on 33 stitches, it only measured 4.5" so I kept going until I had 6" worth of stitches on needle. Then when I knitted until it was 6" long I cast off and the fecker had exploded to 7". angry

So I started again. This time I made sure it didn't cast on to many, but again 10 rows in it was huge.

I'm clearly a lost cause. This time I have just cast 33 on but it looks v small. I'm going to keep going and cross everything it turns out ok.

I'm in sw Scotland btw if you are plotting a countrywide map grin

RedRosie Sat 16-Jun-12 10:33:17

HairyPotter!

Cast on 33. Knit a few rows. Then measure. It grows after the cast on stage.

smile

PurplePidjin Sat 16-Jun-12 10:33:40

Hairy, would you be up for a meet if we've got someone more experienced in the area? This map could prove extremely useful, Trib. I know Pistey has lots of addresses but that's solely for the purposes of matching and is therefore private. This way is both approximate and voluntary!

Glaikit Sat 16-Jun-12 10:41:05

Where are you hairy? I'm west Lothian pretty bird is in Glasgow if you are central belt one of us or both of us can help!

Btw I cast on 35 it measures just over 4inches to start with but when knitted up is 6inches perfectly.

HairyPotter Sat 16-Jun-12 10:42:46

But how can it grow??? And by so much?? Grrr! Well the 33 stitches I started last night seem to be behaving at the moment so I will optimistically keep going.

I have dd2 teeny tiny 6" ruler next to me at all times and am checking after every couple of rows grin

pidge a meet up could very well be an idea I think I might prove too much of a challenge though grin

HairyPotter Sat 16-Jun-12 10:46:01

I'm in south lanarkshire.

35 you say? Tempted to start again now 4th times the charm right?
grin

PurplePidjin Sat 16-Jun-12 10:46:48

Love is more important than skill for these projects!

HairyPotter Sat 16-Jun-12 10:48:43

That bodes well for me!

I have to cast on 36, and knit 47 rows. I think everyone's tension is different, so it's just trial and error.

Funsponge Sat 16-Jun-12 11:50:14

Im in the middle of a pink one but will swap back to blue when this one is done.

SoupDragon Sat 16-Jun-12 11:54:13

My family are Southern Dragons.

RedRosie Sat 16-Jun-12 11:58:30

Southern Dragons are special Dragons Soup.

Glaikit Sat 16-Jun-12 12:00:12

35 is just for me though. I'd keep going with what you have, knotty, pidj and pistey can work wonders with undersized square.

You probably are too far from me if you want to meet up somewhere. Although I'm hardly an expert I knitting.

OpheliaBumps Sat 16-Jun-12 12:18:07

Do southern dragons drink shandy soupy?

As in 'a shandy drinking southern tart dragon' grin

Signing in! Back later when I've started my snowdrops

MOSagain Sat 16-Jun-12 12:53:17

Well, I cast on this morning, 33 like last time and did a few rows and the bastard thing was 7 1/2 inches. So I frogged it and ended up on third attempt with 30 which after about 5 rows appears to be 6 inches. Clearly I must be a little loose grin

SoupDragon Sat 16-Jun-12 13:01:37

Shandy? SHANDY?

<<rolls eyes>>

prettybird Sat 16-Jun-12 13:13:37

Booksandchocs and Hairypotter : Welcome to more fellow Scots smile. As well as Glaikit (West Lothian) and me (Glasgow), there is STDG who is Paisley. We'll need to organise a Blanketeers meet-up smile

Pistey - I have posted a square for Greengoose or MrsY's blanket, together with a square for Matilda's one. They may or may not have got today's post from my local post box, but after the incident last time, I wasn't going to risk going on further to the post office as my knee is still badly bruised and scabbed blush

prettybird Sat 16-Jun-12 13:19:02

Tribpot - an continuing ok with my brioche square. 29 stitches was about right for a 6" square. Made a couple of mistakes which if I had been doing it in a single colour you wouldn't have noticed, but show up in the contrast colour. Having said that, the two colours help make the brioche/yarn over stitch very clear. If you do make a more serious mistake though, it's an absolute bugger to tink back! hmm. Better make no more mistakes then! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now