Support thread 2 - new blankets

(1000 Posts)
tribpot Tue 22-May-12 10:30:24

This is a continuation of our thread supporting MNers creating blanket squares for Woolly Hugs. All are welcome and I'm hoping to post a link soon to a collection of our fave patterns, pics and links to keep them all in one place. In the meantime, this new thread will allow phone-based MNers like RedRosie to return from Special Phone Exile where she goes whenever the thread has too many messages on.

This is a thread of peace where knitters and crocheters, donors and crafters are all equally welcome.

RedRosie Tue 22-May-12 17:21:05

"k4, ssk, yfwd, k1, ywd, k2tog, k3, rep from k1?"

Faints. Dead. Away.

Wibble.

tribpot Tue 22-May-12 17:35:54

Well that description just sounds wrong, bird. I'm gonna try that tonight. THERE SHALL BE NO DEFEAT.

tribpot Tue 22-May-12 17:53:26

Oh and Rosie I can do a written pattern for Cat 3, which I think is the one most likely to be doable in a single colour. I don't know if anyone's tried any of the others that way but obviously small designs won't stand out if purled on a knit background in the way they will if done in two colours.

MinnieBar Tue 22-May-12 17:56:05

upside down star square (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone

MinnieBar Tue 22-May-12 17:56:34

Whoops, didn't mean to c&p the last bit!

prettybird Tue 22-May-12 18:06:39

Actually - that line isn't as bad as it sounds RedRosie : ssk is just slipping two stitches on to the right hand needle (as if you are going to knit them, but forget to wind the wool around) and then putting the left needle back through the two stitches as if you were going to knit them and then completing the knit stitch. Sounds confusing, but the diagrams helped me. this video shows it better than my explanation

It's another way of doing a decrease, like "k2tog" (Knit 2 together). One slants to the left and the other slants to the right (apparently - I just follow patterns)

ykwd is simple - bring the yarn forward (as if you were about to start purling, but if the next instruction is knit, then effectively you get an extra stitch, as the wool has to go back over the needle. (ywd was a mis-type on my part - should have been another yfwd).

Umami Tue 22-May-12 18:09:00

<Pops in to visit from Soupy's secret Team Hooker quiche>

<Made that up>

What on Earth can I do now I've done my squares?

<jonesing>

Hi there! My squares were posted today!

RedRosie Tue 22-May-12 18:14:49

<Picks self up off floor>

Yes please Trib. That would be lovely.

<Remembers k4, ssk, yfwd, k1, ywd, k2tog, k3, rep from k1. Wibbles. Falls over again>

PurplePidjin Tue 22-May-12 18:29:48

Evening, all brew

KnottyLocks Tue 22-May-12 18:34:43

Oi! Who let those cats in here? hmm

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 22-May-12 19:03:41

Cats?

RedRosie Tue 22-May-12 19:09:44

Rosie likes cats. Cats are nice. Nothing beats the smell of newly minted kitten paws.

Begone k4, ssk, yfwd, k1, ywd, k2tog, k3, rep from k1!

I'm going to think about kittens. And Trib is going to send me a pattern so I can make my very own. <Hugs self>

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 22-May-12 19:14:01

I am with BIWI when I say I have no idea what you are talking about on this thread, with your abbreviations and wotnot...

Umami - I wish Soupy did have a secret Hooker quiche. Mind you, she might do hmm We may never know..

I'm thinking tomorrow there may be more squares arriving <squuueeeeeeeal>

Umami Tue 22-May-12 19:15:32

Secret hookers grin

tribpot Tue 22-May-12 19:15:42

Cats are good. Cats are essential. You can't sew them into a blanket like you can plain squares but other than that, I stand by my assertion.

Umami, are you looking for a new crochet project to get your teeth into? I like the Masa bag.

KnottyLocks Tue 22-May-12 19:17:24

Cats is not essential

<sneezes>

KnottyLocks Tue 22-May-12 19:18:03

<ponders hooking a cat onto the blankets>

RedRosie Tue 22-May-12 19:22:38

Cats is essential Knotty.

You just haven't met the right one grin

Pitsey - do you feel wibbly if someone says k4, ssk, yfwd, k1, ywd, k2tog, k3, rep from k1?

tribpot Tue 22-May-12 19:29:04

Btw Treats I have that squares book from Refuge as well, it's bonzer. In fact the crazy spiral square came from there.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 22-May-12 19:33:51

Rosie I just feel as if I need a gin

and a lie down

in a darkened room.

grin

KnottyLocks Tue 22-May-12 19:35:44

Amen to that

prettybird Tue 22-May-12 19:42:32

RedRosie - Pistey definitely has the wibbles if you talk about anything other than plain knitting. But I'm going to teach her purl when I see her in July grin

tribpot Tue 22-May-12 19:42:55

Well the first step is admitting you have a problem, Pistey wink

notpodd Tue 22-May-12 19:45:01

Evening - passes wine

This thread is not accepting new messages.