A Blanket for Greengoose: sign up thread for knitters, crocheters and donors.

(561 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 13:48:53

We heard yesterday the very sad news that Greengoose's beautiful baby daughter, Merryn passed away. Greengoose's thread can be found here

We have offered to make a blanket for the family. We hope that it may give whatever comfort it can to them all.

So, we need knitters, crocheters and donors. If you would like to donate wool, then we can match you up with a crafter.

RatherBeOnThePiste will coordinate and match crafters and donors, and deal with the admin side. I'll try to answer any queries you may have and will put together the blanket.

If you would like to be involved in any way, please post on this thread and PM Pistey with your offers: crafting, donating, need wool, etc, and she will match you up.
If you are offering to donate, we would be grateful if you would let us know if you'd like to donate 1 or 2 balls of wool. They cost roughly £5 per ball plus P&P.

Crafters, if you need wool, please let Pistey know if you'd like 1 or 2 balls of wool.
One ball should make at least 2 x 6" squares.

The wool we are using is:

* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (NOT the baby cashmerino)

* or Rowan Cashsoft DK.

They are very similar and can be combined.

* 4mm knitting needles or hooks

* knitters cast on 33 stitches (this is a guide for less experienced knitters)

* 6" squares

The Colours:

Blues, warm purples, pinks, greens, silvers and cream

Ideas for squares:

Birds have a symbolic meaning to the family so if you could incorporate any bird design that would be lovely.

Please don't feel daunted by this as we really love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on the WoollyHugs website. We also have a Facebook page: MNWoollyHugs.

As always, thank you so much for your support.

thanks

I'll PM Pistey to knit

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 18:30:42

Taking the opportunity of my PM box being empty to go and chivvy on the homework front. Back later.

But thank you to everyone for such an amazing response. Brilliant thanks

KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 18:33:58

thanks Pistey.

And thanks to all who have offered so far. thanks

RedRosie Tue 08-May-12 18:49:57

So sad. Again.

I will knit. Can you match me Pitsey?

PurplePidjin Tue 08-May-12 18:50:19

Signing in. I'll be constructing MrsY's blanket but will use up some leftovers in the meantime sad

Count me in, I'm up for creating a few squares. I've just met greengoose on another thread and would love to be part of the wooly hug.

PM'd you Pistey, but MN went wonky just as I sent it. sad

Pastabee Tue 08-May-12 19:01:57

So sad that two blankets are needed. Have pm'd you.

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Tue 08-May-12 19:10:07

I would like to knit a square.

Umami Tue 08-May-12 19:19:51

Signing in for a couple of crocheted squares, and have PMd.

Pleiades45 Tue 08-May-12 19:23:06

I've pm'd Pistey

have pm's pistey. and thanks for organising us all.

doh. reckon it's me that has the pms...

greengoose Tue 08-May-12 19:58:12

Em, don't really know what to say. You've all made me cry, but in a good way...

Thank you so much. This is just so incredibly thoughtful of you....

I have said elsewhere, but I think I should share this here; As we were coming home from London after Merryn died I was trying to find something to give me hope, or some sort of peace or something. My DH agreed that the gift we had from our little time with Merryn was to be shown the incredible kindness of people, often of strangers. This has been demonstrated time and time againg over the three weeks since. Your blanket will be how I explain this over the years to my boys... Every square a proof of it. How amazing. Merryn was so small, but she has changed this about the way I see things.

A lovely lovely mum called 5Madthings has donated a ball of 'kingfisher' wool its a blue green colour.... She's got a little girl called Merryn too, and has been so kind...l would really love if some of this wool made it into our blanket if possible, it would be nice to think of the other little Merryn when we get it.... I hope that's ok to ask..... Thanks again.

PurplePidjin Tue 08-May-12 20:01:52

Greenhouse, thank you for having the courage to post here so soon. I'm sure 5Mad's Merryn's wool can be given pride of place thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 20:02:26

Hello my lovely X

Sending love to you and your family and thinking of Merryn. And 5Madthings' kingfisher wool will be in your blanket, you can rely on that
Xx

KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 20:02:28

Greengoose, this is your blanket and we will do whatever we can to make it as personal and significant as possible for you, your family and Merryn.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on this thread. I know how much this has meant to crafters and donors on previous projects.

Much love to you and your family. x

DonkeyTeapot Tue 08-May-12 20:09:47

Signing in, have PM-ed Pistey. Sending love to Greengoose and family.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 20:24:29

The brilliant response continues, heartfelt thanks to everyone.

thanks

TimeForCake Tue 08-May-12 20:27:45

sad sad

Pistey, I shall be PMing you shortly.

greengoose your family are in my thoughts and it will be an honour to make a little square for your blanket.

5madthings Tue 08-May-12 20:30:08

greengoose you have made me cry blush holding you and your precious Merryn in my thoughts xxx

5madthings Tue 08-May-12 20:40:34

the ball of kingfisher wool is ordered, and being sent to the address i was given by piste xxx

mummyinspain Tue 08-May-12 20:55:40

I.m not in the Uk but if someone can get wool to me I will knit. I lapsed many years ago (last thing I knitted was a blanket for my friend who's DD went to sleep at 6 months) I can't think of a better reason to start knitting again. I would love to help so if someone felt they could send some wool to me I would be very grateful.

mummyinspain Tue 08-May-12 20:59:48

sorry sleep is supposed to be stars, dam auto correct

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 21:02:00

mummyinspain - I shall PM you, hang on......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now