A Blanket for Greengoose: sign up thread for knitters, crocheters and donors.

(561 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 13:48:53

We heard yesterday the very sad news that Greengoose's beautiful baby daughter, Merryn passed away. Greengoose's thread can be found here

We have offered to make a blanket for the family. We hope that it may give whatever comfort it can to them all.

So, we need knitters, crocheters and donors. If you would like to donate wool, then we can match you up with a crafter.

RatherBeOnThePiste will coordinate and match crafters and donors, and deal with the admin side. I'll try to answer any queries you may have and will put together the blanket.

If you would like to be involved in any way, please post on this thread and PM Pistey with your offers: crafting, donating, need wool, etc, and she will match you up.
If you are offering to donate, we would be grateful if you would let us know if you'd like to donate 1 or 2 balls of wool. They cost roughly £5 per ball plus P&P.

Crafters, if you need wool, please let Pistey know if you'd like 1 or 2 balls of wool.
One ball should make at least 2 x 6" squares.

The wool we are using is:

* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (NOT the baby cashmerino)

* or Rowan Cashsoft DK.

They are very similar and can be combined.

* 4mm knitting needles or hooks

* knitters cast on 33 stitches (this is a guide for less experienced knitters)

* 6" squares

The Colours:

Blues, warm purples, pinks, greens, silvers and cream

Ideas for squares:

Birds have a symbolic meaning to the family so if you could incorporate any bird design that would be lovely.

Please don't feel daunted by this as we really love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on the WoollyHugs website. We also have a Facebook page: MNWoollyHugs.

As always, thank you so much for your support.

thanks

Happy to knit some squares, how sad sad

trice Tue 08-May-12 15:14:39

I will do a square. I am going to the wool shop tomorrow.

GetOnYourDancingShoes Tue 08-May-12 15:21:24

Put me down to knit a few.

Treats Tue 08-May-12 15:23:49

I will knit some squares for you - I have a ball of pink Rowan Cashsoft at home left over from the blanket I knitted for my daughter.

I was offered an MN blanket when I lost my DS and - although I declined the offer because I had a lovely blanket already from my knitting club - I always said I would contribute to one for somebody else.

KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 15:28:10

Hello Treats smile Thank you so much for your offer. We were only talking about you yesterday. Lovely to see you here. x

KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 15:30:22

Could I just ask you lovely people to PM Pistey as well as post on the thread, to let us know how you would like to help

helps us keep track, especially with two projects running simultaneously.

Many thanks.

I will knit squares for both but would appreciate a donor for some of the wool.

roguepixie Tue 08-May-12 15:41:00

Have pm'd you, Pistey. Will knit for both.

Such sad news.

MadameMessy Tue 08-May-12 15:55:13

Have PMed Pistey. How dreadfully sad for these poor famillies.
Knotty and Pistey, you are so good to be organising all this again. You must still have the ones for MrsK and Wubblys dh & ds at home or did I miss it Knotty?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 16:02:10

Hello Treats - very nice to see you.

I am on track with all the PMs - SDTG - I need you to PM me your address please, I have a donor for you.

Messy - don't worry, you've not missed anything, the blankets for Wubbly's family and MrsK are still being constructed. If you are on Facebook, and not seen it already, go in and like MNWoollyHugs, because that will be one of the ways we announce finished blankets and link to photos. Or if on Twitter MNWoollyHugs.

5madthings Tue 08-May-12 16:09:28

i cant knit but would love to donate if thats ok, i also have a dd called Merryn and feel very sad for greengoose sad

duchesse Tue 08-May-12 16:20:34

Desperately sad time for that poor family. Please could I knit and be matched with a donor?

landofsoapandglory Tue 08-May-12 16:22:24

I'm happy to knit for this one and MrsY's. I've PMed you Pistey.

MadameMessy Tue 08-May-12 16:25:48

I do like MNWoollyHugs on FB smile was wondering had I missed it will never miss anything on here as I'm never off here!

Pistey/Knotty

I have some of the everlasting lime Debbie Bliss already made into plain 6" grannies. PM me with an address and I'll put them in the post. Pesky ends already dealt with.

So sad for greengoose and Mrs Y sad

It's angelpantser btw

KnottyLocks Tue 08-May-12 16:34:45

Will do Angel. Thank you x

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 08-May-12 16:34:52

Pming you angel smile

Still working my way through Pms, pls bear with me, we are having a truly amazing response X

Have done a PM. I will donate.

I'd like to offer my craft skills - piste I have pm you.

It is so sad that these blankets are needed, but I hope their woolly gigs help Greengoose and her family a little.

Hey
A slightly soggy me signing in as a knitter for this project - so sad.
I'm due in two weeks so will do as much as I can but it probably won't be as much as normal - despite the fact that this project and MrsY's are so close to my own situation - will do my best.
I have some wool left from previous projects but if there was any donated wool I could be sent that will be lovely - will PM.
Hugs and Kisses
KNT

NessaRose Tue 08-May-12 16:48:42

PIstey,PMed you.

McKayz Tue 08-May-12 16:49:44

I will certainly get a square or 2 done for this. Greengoose was a poster in the June 2012 ante natal thread with me.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Tue 08-May-12 16:50:12

I will knit a few squares. I'll pop to the wool shop in the morning.

WhoremoaneeGrainger Tue 08-May-12 17:42:56

Pistey - have pm'd you. I think i may started my post somewhat inappropriately for Mumsnet. Sorry about that......

ceeej Tue 08-May-12 18:07:56

Another devastated poster from the June 2012 bus here, I'm a very slow knitter but would love to do a couple of squares, will PM now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now