Another blanket sadly needed :(

(949 Posts)
purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 10:52:57

I've just heard the sad news about Magic8ballhasstheanswers leaving 6mo twins and a 4yo sad

If anybody would like to show their condolences, post here and we'll organise it. I'll take on construction again unless someone else would like a turn?

IvySedai (who messaged me to let me know) is happy to co-ordinate so PM's from Donors and Crafters needing a match to her please.

Previous squares were 6", knitted or crocheted. Blues, pinks and purples were the most popular colours. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino or Rowan Cashsoft DK (links are just the first ones I found on google) It's also available in John Lewis.

Lastly, was there anything in particular that Magic liked and could be incorporated in the design?

TadlowDogIncident Thu 18-Aug-11 11:59:38

Another one here who can't knit but would gladly donate. So sorry for magic8ball and her family.

pamplemousserose Thu 18-Aug-11 11:59:59

I can do granny squares. What size do they need to be?

pamplemousserose Thu 18-Aug-11 12:01:01

Where was magic 8 based?

Narketta Thu 18-Aug-11 12:03:04

Have PM'd Ivy. smile

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 12:03:08

OPTIONS FOR DONORS:

The best way is to use the links in the OP and buy a ball (or balls) of wool for your Crafter, enter their address for Delivery.

Or, go to JL, buy it and post it.

Or, money to MissPenteuth (this is the hardest option for us to co-ordinate)

The wool is around £5 per ball, and one ball makes 3-4 squares. Extra wool can be sent on to me as I will use it to join the squares together, or crafters are welcome to make multiple squares!

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 12:04:46

SpannerDog, please check the OP to see if you have the right wool - if it's not the right weight and mix of fibres, the blanket won't wash and wear well (sorry to be bossy)

Pamplemousse, 6" please.

I'll go find some patterns on Ravelry...

TadlowDogIncident Thu 18-Aug-11 12:06:20

Have PM'ed Ivy, thanks.

setara Thu 18-Aug-11 12:11:09

Have PM'ed Ivy, this is a wonderful idea btw

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 12:19:49
StickThemWithThePointyEnd Thu 18-Aug-11 12:25:03

I'm making a spreadsheet to try to match donors and knitters/crocheters.

Would be grateful if you could pm me, so I can coordinate addresses etc.

thank you to everyone who is getting involved. The response on these threads is always absolutely overwhelming.

Magic8 (Natalie) lived in London.

Muser Thu 18-Aug-11 12:26:15

I'll knit a square, she was a friend and I can't believe she's gone. I'll make sure to buy the right sort of wool. I've only got the baby stuff at home so will go and get more. Happy to send the excess on to aid joining together.

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 12:27:07

Thank you, Muser

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 18-Aug-11 13:01:50

I have Rowan Baby cashsoft DK, will this be OK?

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 13:06:12

Sorry, NK3, it's a different weight sad PM IvySedai and she'll match you to a donor?

trumpton Thu 18-Aug-11 13:12:29

I will do 3 squares of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK. So sad to have to have to do this again yet so priviledged to be part of the caring that is Mumsnet. ( Anniversary of my Mum's death today ) x

Still to the same address ? Might need a reminder.

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 13:21:42

Thanks, Trumpton. I'll resend my address once we know who to send it to iyswim.

MilkNoSugarPlease Thu 18-Aug-11 13:28:18

Oh god...this is so so sad....fucking hell

Will buy wool and post (but can't until next week) if easier option (knitting/crochet us not my thing)

TimeForCake Thu 18-Aug-11 13:31:15

So very sad sad. Have PM'd Ivy about donating wool to someone more skilled than me.
Once again, MN at its best.

Bogeyface Thu 18-Aug-11 13:31:55

Have PM'd Ivy.

Thank you for organising this. Its so heartbreaking sad

MugglesandLuna Thu 18-Aug-11 13:37:55

I cant knit for toffee, but I can buy wool and send it to someone if I get pointed in the right direction.

Such a tragedy sad

purplepidjin Thu 18-Aug-11 13:40:58

All offers are gratefully received, whether to craft or to buy. Thank you.

ComeWhineWithMe Thu 18-Aug-11 13:43:44

This is so sad, will be happy to donate or send some wool.

rushofbloodtothefeet Thu 18-Aug-11 13:44:04

I've been matched to crafter (thanks Ivy) so I'll get a ball or two sent off. Do we have a colour pallet in mind? Or softer/stronger or lighter/darker suggestions?

I have pm'd Ivy.

So sad sad

DraculasMum Thu 18-Aug-11 13:49:43

If you need any assistance with getting the blanket to the family I am in east anglia (peterborough).

Such sad news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now