Quilt For Edgar - General Enquiries and Sign Up

(468 Posts)
PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:26:10

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:32:59

Message withdrawn

pixie, the thing about returning PM with adress details, do we need to do this if we are happy to just pack and post the squares out of our own pocket, which I am?

ClaireOB Tue 22-Mar-11 11:36:08

Hi Pixie
will be ordering my wool later today so pm me if you want me to send wool to someone else. I think I have more than one set of 4mm needles (need to check) if they could come in handy. Also, where can I donate funds for fabric?

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:36:23

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

Buda Tue 22-Mar-11 11:39:15

Hi Pixie - well done for doing this.

I will knit a square (or more than one). Will do all at own cost including postage so I will just need address to send to and date to have it there by.

I am in Hungary. Have just ordered my wool so will hopefully manage to get it there in time.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:39:58

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:46:25

Message withdrawn

faverolles Tue 22-Mar-11 11:50:47

I would like to donate something, or I could buy wool (if told what to get) and post it on. Let me know which is most helpful.

Are we doing any letters on the squares?

I've been in contact with you already Pixie, as you know I am going to send some money due to my inability to knit or create.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 11:58:41

Message withdrawn

I would be happy to donate some squares, have material so would just need to know where to send them.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 12:00:36

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Tue 22-Mar-11 12:04:54

Have just PMed you, Pixie.

Some ideas for squares can be found on this thread
here. Fabric quilt for Edgar

Message withdrawn

QueenOfFlippingEverything Tue 22-Mar-11 12:09:23

I would like to make an embroidered square and will post it myself if you can PM me an address smile

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 12:09:32

Message withdrawn

everlong Tue 22-Mar-11 12:11:13

I'm not a knitter either but I want to help in someway??

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 12:11:53

Message withdrawn

Another non knitting person, who would like to contribute

KnottyLocks Tue 22-Mar-11 12:32:13

I have just sent 30ish PMs and have just noticed every single one had a typing error. blushApologies to all...DS is 'helping' me today grin

herbietea Tue 22-Mar-11 12:34:58

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 12:35:25

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 12:46:02

Message withdrawn

am starting on my square tonight once DD is safely ensconced in the land of nod

Mouseface Tue 22-Mar-11 13:08:53

Buggeration.

Pixie - I can't get into my hotmail or PayPal. Can I send you a cheque to pass on or can I send it to someone else to buy some wool or fabric.

Or I can transfer some money to someone????

womma Tue 22-Mar-11 13:30:51

Hello,
I'm really sorry, I only found this all of this this morning and have been sat at my desk in floods of tears...I can knit up a storm and would love to contribute. Can you point me in the right direction to fellow knitters who are making squares please?
Thanks for doing this

KnottyLocks Tue 22-Mar-11 14:06:50

Womma, the details for the knitted squares are on
this thread.

strandednomore Tue 22-Mar-11 14:11:00

Sorry - I have obviously missed something but who is Edgar and why is everyone knitting?

KurriKurri Tue 22-Mar-11 14:12:10

Have PM'd you Pixie, - do we have a date when they need to be completed?

KurriKurri Tue 22-Mar-11 14:14:37
womma Tue 22-Mar-11 14:15:45

thanks knotty, sharpening my needles at the ready xxx

EdgarAleNPie Tue 22-Mar-11 14:20:14

any questions please PM us.

i am not very crafty so didn't realise how much thought was required on this!

strandednomore Tue 22-Mar-11 14:21:56

Thanks for the link - how awful sad Haven't been on MN much recently so missed it all.

womma Tue 22-Mar-11 14:22:47

Rightio, please will you put me down for a knitted square? I can do one, or more if needed.

I'll keep checking this thread and I guess I wait for a pm now.

I'm supposed to go out tonight to a colleague's leaving do but I just want to go home and see DD now after reading all of this. We don't realise how lucky we are

Mouseface Tue 22-Mar-11 14:36:23

<hugs Edgar gently>

MummyBerryJuice Tue 22-Mar-11 14:41:29

Making my place on this thread.

KnottyLocks Tue 22-Mar-11 14:47:47

Womma can you PM Pixie to let her know you're in? Ta.

womma Tue 22-Mar-11 14:52:34

Yes of course

herbietea Tue 22-Mar-11 15:11:33

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn

miniwedge Tue 22-Mar-11 16:00:04

Hi,

I would like to knit a square, I have fabric for a square as well.
I will PM Pixie.

Sending you and your family lots of love EdgarAlenPie x x

cant knit or quilt, but am happy to sew knitted squares together xxx

MmeLindt Tue 22-Mar-11 16:40:18

I donated on Paypal but if there is anyone who would like to knit and cannot because of financial difficulties, PM me and I will send you wool and pins, if needed. If you tell me what to send - and I must be able to order it online as am abroad.

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 17:54:04

{squidge} for Edgar and family

You can usually get knitting needles and occasionally crochet hooks in charity shops, but they're kep under the counter because theyre dangerous weapons of stupid H&S rules.

CherryMonster, I've got the construction covered, but it's turning into a gargantuan task, and I suspect that well over 100 squares will be raining through my letter box in the next week or two. I may just take you up on that offer! Or, if you're Dorset/Hants we could work on it together?

MummyBerryJuice Tue 22-Mar-11 19:22:52

What is the deadline on this?

purple, how are you going to work the squares together? Have you got enough of the same coloured yarn to do so? Will the funds for this come out of the donated funds?

Just wondering as I don't want this to be an unforseen financial burden for you.

frazzledblob Tue 22-Mar-11 19:42:20

purple if it is of any help I am in Hants and would be happy to help with the construction even if its just to supply tea and cake

I am off work at easter aswell, pm me if you would like a hand?

Need to find some yarn now as my local shop did not have either Debbie Bliss or Rowan.

Edgar, I am so sorry for you and your family. You are in our thoughts alot here x

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 19:48:31

Mummyberry, I've just been on the knitting thread and will get on the crochet one. BornToFolk is (hopefully) going to organise a yarn swap so people can use different colours without buying loads of wool and anyone who wants to can then send me the remains for stitching. Your kind offer has already been earmarked for it!

I accidentally dropped a ball of teal DB into my basket atJL today blush and have nearly finished a square! I'll probably stick at one for now as MimaPants my little sideline has booked into it's first craft show in a months time shock

missy10 Tue 22-Mar-11 19:48:33

i have sent my wool today i hope that is the right stuff

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 19:49:15

Frazzled, I likey likey that idea! John Lewis in Southampton and Honora in Christchurch are both stockists grin

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 19:50:22

Oh yeah, and I'll just dc the whole lot, that way i can do it a bit of a time.

Missy, thank you [mwah]

LawrieMarlow Tue 22-Mar-11 19:51:54

I am hopefully getting some wool tomorrow - am going into York which I hope will have what I need. Also hoping a charity shop will have sone needles as mine have disappeared (have obviously not knitted since moving house last June).

Are the squares to be in any particular stitch?

OracleInaCoracle Tue 22-Mar-11 19:53:52

I am about to start properly. Im a bit nervous tbh, I just want to do a good job. I got debbie bliss cashmerino DK colour 18024.

frazzledblob Tue 22-Mar-11 19:55:18

just posted on crochet thread about JL. Now just to juggle work and kids so I can sneak a visit into Southampton.

Well done on the craft show! Is it local? <nosey>

Lawrie - you know about the wool shop on Gillygate? Also there's one up the little alley next to Superdrug - does sewing machines but wool as well I think. Also upstairs at Boyes is very good.

frazzledblob Tue 22-Mar-11 19:58:58

lawrie I have loads of knitting needles gathering dust as I am crap at knitting have switched to crochet. I could send you some if it helps?

Mishy1234 Tue 22-Mar-11 20:09:40

I would like to crochet a square (or more). I bought 3 balls of the Rowan Cashsoft in some of the specified colours, so can post on some if required. I hope to do my square over the next couple of days.

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 20:09:54

Lawrie, the yarn type is fixed so that the whole thing washes and dries at the same rate. Blues, lilacs, greys, greens are the suggested shades so that we get something that looks classy and "whole" iyswim. Patterns are up to the individual - if you can k1p1 that's fantastic. If you can do complicated tricksy stuff, that's equally fantastic grin

Frazzled, click my link and find me on facebook! (Brockenhurst - is that local to you?)

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 20:10:42

Mishy, that's brilliant! Come find us on the crochet thread grin

Mishy1234 Tue 22-Mar-11 20:10:53

John Lewis in Edinburgh stocks both types of wool btw.

Mishy1234 Tue 22-Mar-11 20:11:33

ok, will do purplepidjn.

herbietea Tue 22-Mar-11 20:18:48

Message withdrawn

frazzledblob Tue 22-Mar-11 20:20:54

purple Brock is quite close, will have to stick that one in my diary

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 20:43:47

Sounds good, herbie. Add pink to the list - there's a lovely dusky one in the Db range wink

23rd April, Frazzled, in the village hall!

5inthebed Tue 22-Mar-11 20:47:02

How can I help. Can't knit or sew very well, but would like to contribute something please.

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 21:04:06

PixieOnaLeaf has organised a paypal account, if you'd like to contribute hard cash. Or, if you have fabric lying around, a plain 7" hemmed cotton square is absolutely fantastic smile

5inthebed Tue 22-Mar-11 21:10:23

I have lots of fabric. Are we doing a unisex one?

purplepidjin Tue 22-Mar-11 21:13:23

Any and every colour for fabric!

Copied from another of the threads...

EdgarismyDW Tue 22-Mar-11 14:33:51
Hello

We Edgars have been reading this thread (and others) in teary-eyed awe at the outpouring of love for our little boy.

We wanted to let you know that he was called Leo and he loved balloons, cake, his ball, flowers (purple, blue and pink ones), cars, planes and buses. And many other things too - you can't really go wrong with anything.

Any questions please PM us.

KnottyLocks Tue 22-Mar-11 21:29:26

Am updating the above as I've had a PM reply from the Edgars. I Pmed them re the fabric quilt. Apologies if you've already read this on the Fabric Quilt for Edgar thread:

I've heard from the Edgars. They are so very touched by all your efforts.

To add some more ideas, Leo also loved:

the Haahoos and Pinky Ponk from the Night Garden

Space ships

Trains

and Bertie Bus.

They love the idea of all the flowers, daisies and balloons and also incorporating Leo's name.

Mr Edgar also said he will be uploading a photo of Leo onto his profile.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 22-Mar-11 23:56:45

Message withdrawn

helibee Tue 22-Mar-11 23:59:39

I can sew a fabric square. Does the material matter? Is it just to be quilted or does sewn square need anything else on it?

helibee Wed 23-Mar-11 00:01:45

Sorry I missed the last post about the fabric, thats fine, I have plenty appropriate to Leos likes

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 00:03:04

Message withdrawn

Dreya Wed 23-Mar-11 00:16:09

Thank you for your message Pixie x

Hi Pixie, I am fairly new to MN but have been really touched by the Edgar family and how they have been coping with the death of their beautiful Leo. I cannot sew or knit unfortunately, but am willing to donate or whatever you need to make these beautiful thoughtful memory quilts for their family.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 00:35:13

Message withdrawn

Hopefully PM gone to you Pixie, night night

GotArt Wed 23-Mar-11 01:08:36

Can you PM me an address to send an embroidered piece too. Thanks

chickchickchicken Wed 23-Mar-11 01:28:37

i can post some fabric squares, mostly cath kidston type fabrics, very pretty blues and pinks. who should i send them to? do you only want one square from each MNer or should i post a few?

TheBossofMe Wed 23-Mar-11 02:26:32

Have PMd this as well:

Glad to help - am posting from Bangkok, so if you can give me plenty of time to send squares, that would be appreciated.

No need for help with cost - lots of great, really colourful fabric here. Can I just check - is it an issue if the squares are handstitched (no sewing machine) - do you think that would be less sturdy? If so, I can make up the squares and then send to the tailor to get them to overstitch in machine stitch, but obviously that will add a couple of days on.

And do we have to wad and quilt, or just send ordinary squares?

You can put me down for 2 - if you need more, just shout, am happy to do more.

gemmaraffe Wed 23-Mar-11 02:33:21

Pixie - Have PM'd you to add my fabric square

Lawrie - When I was buying wool in York (which was a couple of years ago) the shop on Gillygate was the best place for Rowan - it is a craft shop not a specific wool shop. There used to be a wool shop at the top end of the Shambles (nearest Low Petergate) which stocked Debbie Bliss - seems to still be there and is now called Ramshambles. I don't think that I ever found Debbie Bliss anywhere else. Boyes is good for needles - the wool there is just what they get on bulk so good if you don't need anything specific.

Ignore me if you already knew this - York is such a maze it isn't always easy to find things and I think it took me a while to find shops that are a bit more out of the way.

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 07:04:31

ChichChickChicken,

the fabric would be lovely. Can you PM Pixie so she know's you're in. Can we say two 7" squares to start with the possibility we may have two more if we need them?

It seems that we are gathering quite a few now but to be honest, I have no idea how many we have in production. smile

[good with fabric]

[crap with maths]

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 07:16:12

TheBossOfMe
Fabric Quilt details here:
Edgar's Fabric Quilt

Handstitched is absolutely fine. We've only asked for zigzagged/ overlocked to help prevent fraying - it's not absolutely essential.

Cotton 7" squares, no need to wad and quilt: that bit will be done once assembled.

Thanks.

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 07:38:45

Unfortunately, I have to go to work today and there won't be much opportunity to check in. Will do once home though.

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 08:39:43

Leroy, I'll happily add an extra flower onto my fabric square from you. What colour would you like?

Message withdrawn

MummyBerryJuice Wed 23-Mar-11 09:41:48

I keep looking out of the window for the postman. My wool should arrive today and I can't wait to get started!

UrsulaBuffay Wed 23-Mar-11 10:38:44

Just getting this on threads I'm on & big thanks to Pixie for doing excellent organising!

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 10:42:31

Message withdrawn

MummyBerryJuice Wed 23-Mar-11 10:47:08

Whoohoo. They've come and are gorgeous. Can't wait to get started! Hope DS stays asleep for a little while grin.

purple, I've PMed you.

WuzzAndBuddy Wed 23-Mar-11 10:52:43

I've donated money as I don't know how to knit or stitch but this is really making me want to learn now!

Anyone near Windsor that fancies teaching me!?

sayanything Wed 23-Mar-11 11:03:56

Just marking my place. Now if only my wool would arrive I could get started already!!

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 11:05:43

Message withdrawn

Buda Wed 23-Mar-11 11:09:07

Pixie - is there a deadline?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 11:10:32

Message withdrawn

sayanything Wed 23-Mar-11 11:10:41

Ah yes, Buda, I just PMed Pixie about that - is there a deadline, especially for those of us who are overseas?

Bettymum Wed 23-Mar-11 11:15:43

Just marking my place so I don't miss anything!

TimeForCake Wed 23-Mar-11 12:17:49

Hope the funds are looking healthy Pixie.
I think it's a lovely thought...all of you crafty types all sitting at home with steam coming off your needles and hooks. Like others have said, it's inspired me to want to learn too. Have donated to paypal and TSC's dh's marathon run but it doesn't feel quite the same. Wish I could physically make something, it might make me feel like I was actually helping a tiny bit. Think seeing those gorgeous photos of Leo really brought it all home even more sad.

Here's a brew for all you busy crafters. It's going to look amazing smile.

Here to help if I can x

Look, Pixie, look - I'm here now - you can stop being disappointed in me!! wink

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 12:38:05

Message withdrawn

I do try my best to be a good girl. grin

WuzzAndBuddy Wed 23-Mar-11 12:45:14

<bring cakes and biscuits for the crafters to go with timeforcakes brews>

Will do that Pixie, I've been inspired to learn now! grin

And you're very welcome, glad to be able to do something to help...

LadyOfTheManor Wed 23-Mar-11 12:49:53

Marking my place on the new thread as people are getting mad on the old one... grin

KnittedBreast Wed 23-Mar-11 13:05:37

hiya

I would love to contribute a knitted square, can you PM me details?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 13:13:31

Message withdrawn

Niecie Wed 23-Mar-11 13:31:46

Marking my place so I don't post on the wrong thread again! There seem to be so many but maybe there aren't and I just keep clicking on different links to the same threads. confused

<goes back to knitting pattern which is much easier to follow>

LadyWellian Wed 23-Mar-11 13:59:31

Marking my place too. Pixie should we get MNHQ to close the original thread so people post in the right places?

Also have posted a couple of relatively simple heart patterns on the knitters' thread if anyone is stuck for a pattern.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 14:00:46

Message withdrawn

NessaRose Wed 23-Mar-11 14:01:43

Marking my place to.
Pixie have pmed you.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 14:03:59

Message withdrawn

hackneyzoo Wed 23-Mar-11 14:14:04

My wool just arrived, so I am going to get started, I would liked to9 knit a square with a star on it. I am a beginner but can just about follow a pattern, could anybody link me to a star design pattern?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 14:31:48

Message withdrawn

JulesJules Wed 23-Mar-11 15:25:15

Have PMed you, Pixie, I would like to knit a square.

Can I choose which shade of wool from the list myself?

Thanks.

womma Wed 23-Mar-11 15:35:39

Oh flip, I'm lost with all these threads all over the place!

pixie I've deffo PM'd you about knitting a square.

Just found the wool list and have ordered so there'll be steam coming off those needles when my parcel arrives. Will you let us know where to send them to?

Also, I wondered if it would be a nice gesture to do Edgar's DC's names in swiss embroidery on the squares? I know her little boy was called Leo, but is it untrusive to ask her DDs' names too? Just wondered if that's okay, or is it best to leave it plain? Maybe just initials would do?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 15:39:10

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 16:17:58

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 17:37:55

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 17:47:27

Pixie, that's amazing! Aren't people wonderful smile

<applaudes each and every volunteer>

GentleOtter Wed 23-Mar-11 17:58:54

Yay! <wafts finished square>

I'm going to try the heart one now but have never done a pattern before.

TimeForCake Wed 23-Mar-11 18:01:55

Yippee! grin. And who'd have thought a group of people who haven't met and live all over the place could get this all underway online, to try and bring some happiness to a family in the saddest place. Something to be proud of ladies.

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 18:03:49

Atta girl, GentleOtter smile

Love your blog by the way. You have a wonderful gift with words. And soon you'll be able to add knitted hearts to your skills.

LadyOfTheManor Wed 23-Mar-11 18:40:53

Pixie, so am I just a-waiting for squares in the post? Is that the plan?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 18:52:14

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Wed 23-Mar-11 18:57:15

Thank you, KnottyLocks. smile

EllenJane1 Wed 23-Mar-11 19:30:24

Marking my place. Blinking wool shop didn't stock Debbie Bliss or Rowan! So have now ordered online. Sorry if that makes me a little late.

Thought I'd already marked my place on this thread, but obviously haven't. So here I am. Still busy cutting, sewing, and (and this is so out of character for me), I'm actually...wait for it... ironing the finished squares! smile

MissPenteuth Wed 23-Mar-11 19:34:40

I'm in the same situation EllenJane, I'll have to make a trip to John Lewis tomorrow.

Thanks for the PM Pixie, that's a lovely idea. I'll do that.

thefirstMrsDeVere Wed 23-Mar-11 20:34:15

I havent started yet. I wont be able to until the weekend at the earliest. I should be able to get both done (knitted and fabric) done in one day though. Is this ok.

Someone be kind and remind me what wool I should be ordering. Pleeeeeeese.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 23-Mar-11 20:41:01

Hello. I've had both PMs. I won't be fast (lots of work on) but I will meet the deadline. So if you are the fabric square coordinator, don't fret!

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 20:52:17

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Wed 23-Mar-11 22:35:32

Oh I love it when a plan comes together. grin

MrsDeVere, I'm also in the position where I won't really get anywhere near my squares until the weekend. Worry not, we have time. smile

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 22:47:22

Message withdrawn

FellatioNelson Wed 23-Mar-11 22:47:23

I can buy wool/fabric and post it on to some clever sewer/knitter type.

FellatioNelson Wed 23-Mar-11 22:48:01

that would be sewer as in someone who can sew, not like a sewer with poo and rats. Oh no.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 23-Mar-11 22:49:58

Message withdrawn

LadyWellian Wed 23-Mar-11 23:48:13

Pixie you want to be careful around matches in sewers. There could be methane or anything grin.

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 24-Mar-11 00:11:49

Message withdrawn

Pixie - I've bought plenty of wool (four balls - don't tell dh) - perhaps Fellatio would like to sponsor one of those balls, and I'll knit some squares for her?

Bettymum Thu 24-Mar-11 09:37:30

Started my first initarsia square last night, it's slow going but a lovely blue flower is emerging from the silvery grey...

FellatioNelson Thu 24-Mar-11 10:08:27

Could someone tell me if the wool I sm buying is easily obtainable in the high street? We have a decent knitting shop I think) or will I be better to get it online and is there a good website? I don't want to waste too much time trailing around ten shops only to come back emty handed!

I've already got the wool, if you want to sponsor a ball, and I'll do some squares for you, Fellatio.

FellatioNelson Thu 24-Mar-11 10:14:39

Um, I could but I think Pixie has already matched me with someone and asked me to post some wool to her. I don't want to mess up what must already be a very complicated system!

Can I do anything else? Do you need a ric-rac braiding co-ordinator, or a bias binding postage monitor? confused

(I'm strictly on the artistic direction and administration side though - don't ask em to do anything involving manual labour.) grin

Ohh - sorry Fellatio - I thought maybe you hadn't seen my offer. That'll learn me to make assumptions. blush

Ric-rac braiding coordinator sounds like a very important, challenging and high powered role - I am full of admiration at your willingness to take this on! grin

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Thu 24-Mar-11 13:34:15

Does it go BAA, Leroy?

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 24-Mar-11 14:29:11

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 24-Mar-11 14:29:58

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Thu 24-Mar-11 15:45:00

honestly, one minute we have to do as we're told.
next, we have to ignore her.

Never Happy grin

chickchickchicken Thu 24-Mar-11 18:32:40

hi, wonderful MNers. my squares will be posted this evening first class to address given in PM from Pixie. i've also PM'd you Pixie to say they are being posted and to offer to help with transport

<wanders off feeling thick as got confused and hopes someone corrects politely tells me if this is the wrong place to post>

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 24-Mar-11 18:43:48

Message withdrawn

Pixie, I can't knit or sew but I am happy to order something on ebay or amazon and send it to someone who can. PM me or get someone who is needing stuff to and I will sort.

Marking place not read whole thread. Is there a certain type of wool we should be using?

chickchickchicken Thu 24-Mar-11 19:03:22

smile
<wanders off feeling oh so clever>

KnottyLocks Thu 24-Mar-11 19:05:54

Ferret Knitters are over here. Wool details are on the thread. thanks smile There are some patterns posted there too.

KnottyLocks Thu 24-Mar-11 19:06:28

<pats Chick on the back>

Well done, gal grin

chickchickchicken Thu 24-Mar-11 19:46:30

knotty - say your post from earlier today about two squares before i went to postbox so added another square. any more needed let me know

chickchickchicken Thu 24-Mar-11 19:50:21

*saw

SpawnChorus Thu 24-Mar-11 20:07:53

Are there any knitters/crocheters in Edinburgh who would be willing to go halves/thirds/whatever on the yarn?

GentleOtter Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:08

Knit, knit, knit <hands round malteser traybake> knit

KnottyLocks Thu 24-Mar-11 21:51:25

Ooooooo, malteser traybake.

<gets distracted yet again>

[concentration of a dead slug]

GentleOtter Thu 24-Mar-11 22:27:59

Well I failed completely attempting the heart so that square ended up being frogged.

LadyWellian Fri 25-Mar-11 01:17:36

GentleOtter was that one of 'my' hearts that I completely stole out of a book ? Bit sad if it didn't work. However, frogs are good too. grin

Malteser traybake possibly a bit too distracting (k1, yf over crumb, p2 etc)?

Recipe...?

womma Fri 25-Mar-11 07:59:13

Rightio - first square done from an odd ball of grey wool I found in a cupboard, so I can really get cracking when my order arrives.

I found a site with charts for things, like an alphabet and scotty dog, although I think I'd have to get some graph paper and properly do a chart to get it right.

I've done an L for Leo on this first one, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do really...might undo it and and go for a star and one of Lady Wellian's hearts. What do you think about the L? Maybe I could do an O, V and E too, but that's pretty much spelling his name without meaning to and I'm not sure my knitting would do it justice either.

And I'd like the recipe for the malteser tray bake too please!

GentleOtter Fri 25-Mar-11 08:17:44

LadyWellian - I tried the one colour heart but I'm having to use size 5 needles and 27 stitches. It all went a bit Pete Tong when I took the extra stitches out.
The heart looked like a muffin. grin

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Mar-11 09:43:34

Womma, the Edgars have said that they are happy to have Leo's name on the quilt, so an 'L' on the blanket would be absolutely fine...rather lovely in fact smile

Womma - I like the idea of letters spelling out 'LOVE' - would you mind if I nicked that too?

I was also wondering if anyone knows where I can find a chart for some little flowers and hearts - I thought a square scattered with flowers and hearts would look good (if I can do it properly, that is).

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 25-Mar-11 10:24:40

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Mar-11 10:31:04

I'm craving muffins now. Pah.

Bettymum Fri 25-Mar-11 10:32:48

AAARGH my lovely flower square somehow ended up 7 stitches too short, and I only measured it after I'd done loads...it was only 5" wide so I had to cast off and start again. DH laughing at me as every time I try a new knitting technique it all goes horribly wrong at least once before I get the hang of it. I WILL do it though!
Oooh, nearly coffee time .

Buda Fri 25-Mar-11 10:47:52

I want my wool to arrive so I can start! Am getting impatient.

Bettymum - can I ask where you got the pattern for the flower motif, please?

Mouseface Fri 25-Mar-11 11:01:20

Pixie - I'm going to try and get into PayPal again. It wouldn't let me send any money the last three times I've tried.

I'm more than happy to transfer straight to a bank account of a sewer/knitter etc to pay for materials or postage. I really want to help. smile

Mouseface Fri 25-Mar-11 11:05:06

Nope, it still won't let me send money. It's saying an error occured.

Can I please send the money another way? sad

EllenJane1 Fri 25-Mar-11 11:34:10

Hurray, my wool's arrived! It's lovely. I'm ususlly a cheapskate 100% acrylic crocheter, so this will be a nice change.

LadyWellian Fri 25-Mar-11 11:49:17

GentleOtter if you're doing 27 sts rather than 33 and you want to have another crack, why not just drop the 6 sts from the border pattern - so rather than doing K7 on all the P rows, do K4 instead? Then you'll still be working with the same number of sts in the muffin heart. So basically, subtract 3 from the first and last bit of each row.

I've just done one of the one-colour hearts and am quite pleased with it, though I think I like the two colour one better (bigger heart!)

I'm really loving this Rowan Cashsoft as well. Might take out a mortgage and get some for myself grin.

Bettymum Fri 25-Mar-11 12:24:44

StayingDavidTennantsGirl I got it from a book that I have called Blankets and Throws To Knit, by Debbie Abrahams.
If you click on this link and then go to "Look Inside", you can actually see the pattern I'm doing on page 11 wink, in fact there are quite a few of the flowers charted.
LadyWellian I too am pleased with my one-colour heart .

Many thanks, Bettymum - I actually think I have that book, but hadn't thought to look in it for ideas. blush[strikes forehead with hand]

GentleOtter Fri 25-Mar-11 15:03:35

Thank you LadyWellan. I will try that and lock myself in another room so I can concentrate properly. No more muffins here.

Just a word of warning about washing the squares. Mine went massive shock when I washed it but has gone back to 6x6 now that it has been blocked and dried. The wool seems to sort itself out.

FellatioNelson Fri 25-Mar-11 17:06:03

My wool is winging its way to someone as we speak. It's rather nice shade of pistachio green.

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Mar-11 17:27:28

Pistachio? Lovely.

I'm hungry again.

<downs tools>

womma Fri 25-Mar-11 20:47:42

SDTG-course not, the more knitted love the better in my book

Knotty - thanks for that, I just wasn't sure.

My wool came!! Hip hurrah!

GentleOtter Fri 25-Mar-11 21:00:53

The heart has worked out really well but I have run out of wool with only ten rows to go. I will get more tomorrow.
Thank you for that pattern LadyWellan. smile

So one ball makes two squares with lots of wool left over.

kaiki Fri 25-Mar-11 21:52:13

am i too late ? i posted on the original thread last week but missed this one. i'd like to do something but am horribly cack handed - would be willing to donate or can attempt something (very) simple. please let me know.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 25-Mar-11 21:54:39

Message withdrawn

leeloo1 Fri 25-Mar-11 22:21:57

My wool came today and I've managed 2 squares and some crocheted flowers and stars to applique on.

This was despite the best efforts of DS(2.5 yrs) who wanted to 'do that (knit) too' then picked up the ball of wool, gave it a cuddle and kiss and said 'I like this so much', then tried to run off with it! When I said he couldn't take the wool away, he said 'I help Mummy' - which meant he held the end of the knitting needle was trying to knit with, then carefully sat on the ball of wool - not that helpful, but cute.

The debbie bliss cashmerino is lovely - only downside is because I bought it online the shades aren't quite what I thought - the silver and blue are very similar and the indigo blue is pretty but very dark.

If anyone has any odds and ends of other colours (a brighter blue, lilac, purple or green?) they wouldn't mind sharing to make the applique motifs a bit prettier and more of a contrast then please PM me... I'd be very grateful.

purplepidjin Fri 25-Mar-11 22:30:13

Spawn there's a swap thread in Arts & Crafts for people to change colours without spending a fortune smile

Sorry, been at work for 2 days (26 hours in last 36 shock) will be a little more available over the weekend. I keep sneaking glances at the net from my phone at work to keep up with the Quilt threads blush

FellatioNelson Sat 26-Mar-11 12:44:38

When I went to get my wool yesterday the shop didn't have any of the right colours in the Debbie Bliss. She offered to order me some but I explained I only needed one ball, and I needed it today so I'd go elsewhere. She looked a bit confused so I explained that it was a sort of 'community effort' blanket knitted by different people in different colours, and she said 'Hmmm..Sounds like a very expensive blanket to me,' and gave me a bit of a hmm look.

I felt like saying 'Ah, but this is not any blanket. This is a Mumsnet Blanket.'

melonian Sat 26-Mar-11 14:15:25

Pixie, please could you pm me with details of how to donate? Have been away and missed this until now. You're great everyone!

In fact, is it possible to make the paypal or whatever you're doing public, as you may get random lurkers donating? Sorry if that's a stupid suggestion.

purplepidjin Sat 26-Mar-11 14:21:16

leeloo, see my message to Spawn - you should be easily able to get hold of other colours. Also, the Edgar family have since let us know that Leo liked bright colours. When the blue/green/lilac decision was made, it was very early and we had to come to some kind of consensus or nothing would have got done!!

Fellatio, you're very right. One person making a blanket this size (around 600 square inches shock) would have to be very very rich.

At 3 squares per ball as an estimate (crochet takes less than knitting) this project will :

Use about 30 balls of wool
Weigh approximately 1.5kg or 4lb
Cost £150 in materials, probably nearer £200 including postage
Have brought a priceless amount of happiness to all the people involved

Thank you smile

leeloo1 Sat 26-Mar-11 14:38:58

Thanks purplepidjin I saw your message last night and thought it was to me and you were calling me names. grin

I've left a message on the swap thread, but it seems a bit underpopulated... will see what happens.

'Also, the Edgar family have since let us know that Leo liked bright colours.'

So are we going to try and change direction with the blanket or stick to the original colour scheme? This could be an odd idea, so feel free to ignore, but if all the squares are blue/green/lilac then doing the border/sewing up in a rich red possibly something like this might make the whole thing brighter and provide a nice contrast, without needing to change whats already been done? Just a thought.

EllenJane1 Sat 26-Mar-11 14:39:03

Too true purplepidjin. You can't really put a price on it.

purplepidjin Sat 26-Mar-11 14:48:12

We're sticking to the original plan, but there is tolerance for the occasional outburst of other things wink

I was hoping that enough people will send me their leftovers with their squares so I can do the sewing up. I will then start on a border...

I still haven't dared tell DP what I'm doing. I'm even half tempted to get everything sent to work (which is where I do most of my crochet - sitting and chatting to residents) so he never finds out LOL

I'm happy to include cards and letters when I send of the finished woolly thing, and was thinking about getting a cheap photo album to put them all in and keep them safe. So feel free to tell stories about your own experiences etc and I'll make sure it gets passed on smile

LadyOfThe, would you be prepared to do the same?

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 14:50:09

Hello all!

Alll is going well, I have received 3 parcels so far. Quick question, would you like me to, on the back, embroider everyone's name who has contributed a square or not?

Keep them coming, they are beautiful so much work has gone into them!

BigBadMummy Sat 26-Mar-11 15:03:46

Just seen this thread and haven't been able to read through all nine pages.

I want to do something but I don't know what.

Would somebody mind dropping me a PM with info on either sending cash to somebody or some material (I have a box of bits).

Can't sew / can't knit but would love to do something as I was so moved by the original thread

purplepidjin Sat 26-Mar-11 15:05:30

BBM, send a PM to PixieOnaLeaf and she'll send you the details. There are specific threads for those knitting, crocheting and sewing in Arts and Crafts if you fancy a chinwag, need advice or can offer it smile

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 16:06:45

Yes purple I have chocolate bouquets ready to add I'll also add some photos of the progress as I get through it?

leeloo1 Sat 26-Mar-11 17:55:11

'We're sticking to the original plan, but there is tolerance for the occasional outburst of other things'

Am loving the sound of that - I have visions of a sea of bluey-green with a wacky orange square in the middle! grin

I was hoping that enough people will send me their leftovers with their squares so I can do the sewing up. I will then start on a border...

Sounds like a plan, I'll definitely do that.

Another thought - could people put pics of the squares they've finished on their profiles? I'd love to have a nosey look at what other people's squares look like and check mine don't look too amateur.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 18:56:30

Leeloo- the quilted squares have been sent to me, I'll post some photos on Monday once some more have turned up.

I'd still like Pixie to respond! Should I embroider all of our SN on the back of the quilt? (The materials have turned up with the most bizarre array of names...!) Or just put a backing on?

With me posting the pictures of progress I meant on to my profile and not posting as in physically posting them..!!

EllenJane1 Sat 26-Mar-11 19:34:37

Hi, I'm just finishing my second crocheted square and as I got 2 balls of wool I've got enough to do some more. Should I or will you end up with too many? I'd want at least one to go into Edgar's quilt, but wouldn't mind if others became charity baby blankets.

KnottyLocks Sat 26-Mar-11 19:35:29

Calling all makers of squares

I will shortly be Pming the Edgars with a couple of questions. If you have anything you urgently need to know, could you Pm me? I wouldn't want to overload them with messages when one will do.

Ta muchly. As you were.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 19:37:27

I have PMed you.

bebejones Sat 26-Mar-11 19:43:36

LadyOfTheManor - It's nice to 'see' who is piecing the quilt together! Hope you got my first 2 squares? Can't wait to see pics of the progress.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 19:52:14

Yes! Here I am !!

You embroidered yours yourself (am I talking about the right ones? one with a beautiful flower embroidery and you have done the edging?)

bebejones Sat 26-Mar-11 20:10:14

Yes I did a flower Glad they arrived. Have decided to do a little train so shall send that to you later in the week!

Happy sewing!

FellatioNelson Sat 26-Mar-11 20:23:26

I think stronger colours could work so long as we stick to the same harmonising group of colours. The reason I had so much trouble getting my wool was that the first shop had blues, greys, purples etc, but only in really strong shades and I wasn't sure if I'd be throwing a spanner in the works! Anyway the green I got was not pale and pastellish, but it would go well with any colours that were.

I just posted on the fabric thread but can I officially sign up please? I have lots of fabric and can make some 7" squares with appliqued designs on them tonight.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 20:34:49

OMDB, can you inbox Pixie for the details on sizes etc?

I'd like to stress it isn't necessary to hem them, I can do that and in some cases it'll be easier, but feel free if you can do it problem free!

Yep Lady I can hem them, will pm pixie.

I gather you need a 7" square after hemming?

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 21:05:50

They will end up as 6 inchers...I think....

PM Pixie as I'm just the end sewer and I have my own instructions!!

<is all confused>

Right, have pmed pixie. Will await instructions!

LadyOfTheManor Sat 26-Mar-11 21:45:28

That's the safest thing to do.

There's a reason I'm not in charge of anything.

frazzledblob Sat 26-Mar-11 21:50:55

FellatioNelson I think I may have received your wool this morning - shade 509?

Will post a pic on my profile of the square I have completed - was there any design in particular that you would like me to do on your behalf?

purple that is a lovely idea re cards & letters

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 08:15:21

Overmydeadbody, I've replied to your post on the fabric quilt thread. smile

Purple, another vote for the cards and letters idea. It would bring our quilt and blanket to life: after all they are so much more than an ordinary blanket and a quilt, aren't they?

EllenJane1 Sun 27-Mar-11 10:08:32

Hi all.

I read a post suggesting putting photos of squares on our profile page, so I have! I did one with a pink flower in some yarn I already had once I read that Leo liked pink flowers. Hope it'll be OK as its in some silky material.

The photo makes the colours look a bit too green, but I used 503 and 508.

Happy crocheting smile

LadyOfTheManor Sun 27-Mar-11 10:28:34

Speaking of which, if someone wants a photo on their quilting square, send the photo and square to me and I can do that also. (Pixie has my address).

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 12:22:24

EllenJane1, they are beautiful. Am very envious of your crocheting skills.

<awards a gold star>

EllenJane1 Sun 27-Mar-11 12:37:03

<Sticks gold star on jumper> Thanks! My friends round here think it's all a bit 'old lady'. I tell them I love the maths behind the patterns and they think I'm even stranger!

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 12:44:28

Old lady? shock Crafting is the thing to be doing, doncha know.
I think crochet is very lovely but whenever I've tried I've always got in such a muddle. Now you've made the maths connection, I understand why I struggle. I'm a mathematical duffer grin

EllenJane1 Sun 27-Mar-11 13:01:04

I'm hopeless at sewing, which is why I'm so glad someone else is doing that bit. I hope Edgar and family are coping. I looked at the lovely photos that Edgar's DH posted and had another little cry. It's really great to be able to do something positive. I'm really grateful to all you organisers.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 27-Mar-11 13:23:11

Message withdrawn

magicOC Sun 27-Mar-11 13:24:11

Heh guys. How many squares are being done aprox? Will be som size kntted blanket in the end grin as will the crochet and fabric ones. I still can't view pics (no idra wher im oung wrong) so maybe someone could email pics of the finished results? My squares will be in the post tomorrow.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 27-Mar-11 13:24:26

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 27-Mar-11 13:25:56

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 15:20:42

pixie- you, my lovely, can have a whole constellation. smile

womma Sun 27-Mar-11 17:08:26

second that, and a few for knotty too

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 17:24:44

Excellent. Ta Womma, I'm running out.

LadyOfTheManor Sun 27-Mar-11 17:27:47

I'm not too sure if there is to be 2 quilts or if I'm incorporating wool and material or if there's 2 blankets to be made?

Pixie, how many squares am I to be expecting? Can I have a aye or nay for stitching names on the back (depending on the amount of squares I get?)

Littlefish Sun 27-Mar-11 17:47:06

Marking my place.

Mamathulu Sun 27-Mar-11 17:52:05

I'd love to sign up for this - am a fairly keen knitter, so just say what's required and I'll do it! Haven't read the whole thread yet, but will do so now!

EllenJane1 Sun 27-Mar-11 18:00:04

Lady, one woollen blanket and one material quilt.

LadyOfTheManor Sun 27-Mar-11 18:03:03

righty-oh.

Ok well my question still stands for embroidering names and how many squares I should be expecting.

Haven't got the envelope with me right this second, but the Cath Kidston fabric is beautiful (whosever it is)

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 18:49:58

On the Fabric Quilt thread, posters have started to upload photos onto their profiles. Have a look. They are wonderful.

Lady, panic over! Just fabric for you, me lovely smile

I like the idea of embroidering the names - wouldn't it take you ages, though?

Pm Pixie re number of squares: she may have a rough idea, although it appears that many who offered to do one have actually done more.

KnottyLocks Sun 27-Mar-11 18:51:31
LadyOfTheManor Sun 27-Mar-11 18:52:31

No it won't take long at all. I don't mind.

purplepidjin Sun 27-Mar-11 19:36:17

LOTM, according to Pixie we have been promised over 200 squares between fabric and woolly. That's a lot of embroidering!

I'm inviting people to include a letter or card with their woolly donations and I'll get a photo album to put them in and send with the blanket - that might be an easier way for you too?

LadyOfTheManor Sun 27-Mar-11 20:02:45

Yes fab, whatever everyone is happy with, it's not bother either which way for me.

The more squares the better as it'll make a decent sized quilt. 60 squares would make a tiny lap quilt so it'll be better with more!

purplepidjin Sun 27-Mar-11 21:04:00

60 squares would be 3'x5' - I'm in awe because I thought 60 would be a struggle to get to. The efforts people are going to, and the amount of people wanting to make that effort, have me absolutely gobsmacked

LawrieMarlow Mon 28-Mar-11 05:56:01

I have knitted one square and am onto my second. Wonder how many there will be altogether.

LadyOfTheManor Mon 28-Mar-11 09:13:26

I think I will be using my own material to make the quilt a bit larger (e.g. every4 squares using a filler square).

Depending on whether they run onto the back I think I shall embroider names on the back, so make sure you send your screen names with the squares!

Niecie Mon 28-Mar-11 09:19:41

LadyofTheManor - do you need more fabric squares then? I am knitting squares as I am better at that than sewing but I can send some fabric squares to save you using all your fabric if you don't think you have enough.

Are you sticking to the blue theme too? Would white or cream be OK? Sorry, not been keeping up with the quilt side of things so I am not sure what you are up to. blush

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 09:36:31

Niecie, the fabric quilt is multi-coloured - no specific colour theme.

Lady, if you need some more fabric, let me know. I've got a fair bit hidden away from DH who has no idea how large my stash really is.

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 09:39:38

Pixie, I think it might be a nice idea to have this thread moved to Art and Crafts at some point. Then if the Edgars want to look at it at some point in the future, it will still be around.

LadyOfTheManor Mon 28-Mar-11 10:23:54

Yes any colour is fine. My mother is a seamstress and a quilt maker and has thousands (literally) of boxes full of material.

I am happy to receive any extra (the ones so far have been so beautiful!).

So if you want to send an additional few then that'll be really kind, if not I'll raid my mother's sewing room...!

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 10:42:17

envy at your mum's sewing room.

I've got some pretty spring like florals somewhere. I stick some in with my squares...once I get round to finishing them!

purplepidjin Mon 28-Mar-11 13:01:09

Knotty do you think mnhq might do us the honour of putting this in classics? It would be lovely to preserve the evidence of so much generosity and kindness

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 13:23:14

Pidjin, I think that's an excellent idea. I'll ask them smile

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 14:43:44

I've just reported myself grin

We'll see what they say.

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 16:15:55

They are ignoring me...don't blame them, really.

<starts painting placard>

MegaTrump Mon 28-Mar-11 20:08:45

Hi All,

Just finished a knitted square, will post tomorrow to the address provided by the lovely Pixie, I haven't read all this thread though so can anyone tell me if there is anything else I need to do?

Thanks

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Mar-11 20:11:56

Knotty no need for the placard, we have heard you and thought that moving this thread to Arts and Crafts would preserve it for Edgar and perhaps be seen by others who would like to help?

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 21:32:33

What a waste of a placard!

Ta Rebecca smile

You may have one of my gold stars.

You'd get another much bigger one if you did a square wink

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 28-Mar-11 23:04:11

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 23:13:43

I've dropped four very unsubtle hints now...probably why they ignored me grin

KnottyLocks Mon 28-Mar-11 23:32:10

<shuffles in with new placard>

What do we want?

SQUARES

When do we want em?

NOW

(or by the 8th of April. Ta.)

Mirage Tue 29-Mar-11 08:22:42

I've done two,but on one of them,the design isn't exactly in the central 6 inches [sorry,didn't realise],I'll send it anyway,because it has a 1" hem,so perhaps could be adjusted by a clever person.I'm up to my neck in work at the minute,but rain is forecast tomorrow and Thursday,so will hopefully get some time off to do a few more squares.[does rain dance around the living room].

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 08:33:49

Mirage, I'm sure LOTM, who is doing the quilting bit, will be able to sort it for you. I appreciate that work can get in the way so thank you so much for making the effort smile

<awards a gold star>

<ignores pile of work papers>

LadyOfTheManor Tue 29-Mar-11 08:46:34

Mirage that's no problem, I can either unpick it, or mount it whichever is less likely to cause damage to the square! Do not panic!!

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 09:14:01

See? grin

Sorry if this has already been cleared up, but are we getting a SAE through the post if we gave Pixie our address, or not? I was supposed to receive wool through the post from a donor, but have not, so I went out and bought my own wool, have knitted 2 squares, will definitely get a third out of the ball, and now need to know where to send them to.

Sorry if I should know this already but I am still in the dark! smile

LadyOfTheManor Tue 29-Mar-11 09:35:51

I'm bumping this as I don't know how the wool one is working.

It's like Christmas for me, new parcels every day grin

Oh am I on the wrong thread? blush confused

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 09:40:22

Dumbledoresgirl, I suggest you PM Pixie. I'm not sure if she's sent the envelopes out yet. She's the brains of the organisation grin

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 09:41:13

Er, no offence meant to Pidjin, obviously. blush

LadyOfTheManor Tue 29-Mar-11 09:47:39

grin

purplepidjin Tue 29-Mar-11 09:48:32

Don't worry knotty I work with teenagers I' pretty hard to offend <chucks cotton wool from between ears int washing machine to aid concen... Ooh look a squirrel>

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 09:51:57

grin

Thanks Knotty smile

I won't bother Pixie just yet as I have already badgered her about the donation of wool that didn't materialise - she will think I am a pita if I badger her again. I just thought, reading through this thread, that people already knew where to send their squares which made me wonder if the SAE idea had been shelved. But now I think people were talking about the quilt.

I take my hat off to the organisers. It all seems horribly complicated from where I am sitting.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 10:59:50

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 11:27:22

She doesn't say that to me shock

Fair enough, I am a pain in the arse grin

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 12:16:33

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 12:45:27

Aww shucks blush

LOL.

I am a PITA actually - or rather, a control freak who finds it a lot harder than the average person to be part of a team rather than running it. blush

Anyway, no worries now. SAE arrived just now. smile I will get my squares finished and if the other Mner's wool turns up, it won't take any time at all to knit up some more squares. smile

My SAE arrived in the post today (thank you pixie) and I am on my fourth square. I've got ideas for a couple more, too, so will carry on knitting up to the deadline.

The quilt squares that people have posted pictures of are absolutely gorgeous - it is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Can I ask if it's possible to have pictures of the completed quilt and blanket, as a sort of virtual memento for the people who have contributed in whatever way?

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 12:55:04

Message withdrawn

EllenJane1 Tue 29-Mar-11 18:21:12

Yay, got envelope today. Thanks Pixie. May have crocheted too many for envelope but the address and stamp will come in useful.

purplepidjin Tue 29-Mar-11 18:36:18

I will be taking pics of the woolly one in various phases of completeness! Although it remains to be seen whether I have to hire the church hall to spread it out in... And if I'll be able to get the whole thing in shot even then shock

LadyOfTheManor Tue 29-Mar-11 18:40:43

Pixie when is the completion date?

<she says with her 9 squares>

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 19:09:46

I think we said to post by the 8th, LOTM. Although there may be a couple who will be later.

Buda Tue 29-Mar-11 19:36:13

Yay! My wool arrived. Now just need to find the knitting instructions. I should have printed it off!

Wish me luck - I may be some time!

LadyOfTheManor Tue 29-Mar-11 19:39:55

Righty-ho.

purplepidjin Tue 29-Mar-11 19:48:31

Buda get thee to the knitting-specific thread and take inspiration! Also lots of lovely people with advice grin

<very lethargic excited dance at prospect of lots of lovely squares coming my way>

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 20:56:17

Message withdrawn

Buda Tue 29-Mar-11 21:48:03

Purple - I did just that! Have started a square. Printed the instructions to do a heart too.

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 22:23:41

Will be at work tomorrow and Thursday but will pop in to see some fantastic squares....please grin

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 22:29:53

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 22:43:22

No they haven't, Pix!

Rebecca wished she could help with a square but can't sew or knit. Bloody rubbish excuse grin

Embrace new experiences, woman!

She did say it was a very lovely idea though, so I may let her off.

<ponders>

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 22:44:26

<considers that MN Towers is more than Rebecca>

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Mar-11 22:47:11

<strokes chin>

There are enough gold stars. Better than a Blue Peter badge. Honest.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 22:51:45

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 29-Mar-11 22:51:58

Message withdrawn

KnottyLocks Wed 30-Mar-11 07:09:12

grin

purplepidjin Wed 30-Mar-11 09:06:34

Buda that's awesome and I look forward to seeing it!

Knotty if mn towers south dormy has anyone in dorset or hants I'll provide the wool time and hooks so they can crochet a square :D

I'm a bit late to this project - just saw it on Raverly but i'd be keen to knit a square if it's still an option... i have the yarn lurking at home already!

purplepidjin Wed 30-Mar-11 14:15:58

Of course, knitter. Send a pm to PixieOnaLeaf and she'll pass on the details

Lady Of The Manor - Just read your post re including our names so you can embroider them...whoops!

I appreciate you're probably disappearing under a bigger and bigger pile of beautiful patchwork as we speak but when you receive the envelope with

A gingham yacht
A pink cupcake
A pink "L"
A smiley balloon
and a couple of 'plain' squares........
Well, they're from me! smile

KnottyLocks Wed 30-Mar-11 17:56:27

you'retheone, bravo! They are all gorgeous smile

LadyOfTheManor Wed 30-Mar-11 18:21:32

Ooo they sound fab! Really looking forward to it! I can't wait to get started! (how many exclamations does one need?)

Buda Wed 30-Mar-11 18:37:15

Do I remember right that someone is taking photos of the squares? How do I see them? Nosey mare me!

LadyOfTheManor Wed 30-Mar-11 18:40:48

Various contributors have put some on their profiles. I shall be taking photos step by step of the quilt and posting those!

UrsulaBuffay Wed 30-Mar-11 18:44:25

Can the folks who donated stuff even though they're crap at crafts me have their names added? cheeky

purplepidjin Wed 30-Mar-11 18:44:38

Ditto for the woolly one, can't let this go unrecorded!

LadyOfTheManor Wed 30-Mar-11 18:46:45

Oh yes on the quilt I'm doing I'll try and add everyone's names. I shall get Pixie to compile a list of who has contributed (in any way) and get the names sewn onto the back.

purplepidjin Wed 30-Mar-11 18:48:44

Oh and I'm going to put any cards and messages in a photo album and include it with the blanket - so if you're knitting or crocheting put it in with your square or if you're sewing or just want to pass on condolences let pixie know.

UrsulaBuffay Wed 30-Mar-11 18:54:49

Oh they're looking lovely, been looking at all the piccies on people's profiles. How lovely!

UrsulaBuffay Wed 30-Mar-11 18:56:03

Thanks LadyOfTheManor tries not to say 'lovely' again

WuzzAndBuddy Wed 30-Mar-11 19:43:03

Just been looking at your pics youretheone, your squares are lovely, so personal and thoughtful.

Can't wait to see the finished quilts smile

Why, thankya, WuzzAndBuddy. I can't wait to see it finished either. I'm just glad I'm not responsible for the organising of this amazing 'get-together'!

WuzzAndBuddy Wed 30-Mar-11 20:32:53

Lol, yeah I wouldn't know where to start with it all!

purple thanks for the reply. I've done one square already this evening and have plenty of yarn left so will do some more. I've pm-ed Pixie and will await the details....

<brew and cakes made for all the knitters, those sewing and donating for this wonderful project> (chocolate cake and carrot cake, I'm afraid it won't post very well, so I wil share it here instead.....)

I was just wondering how many people are involved in this project from the craft side of it to the financial donating side?

Did I read it right that all our names will be stitched on to one of the blankets if we have donated money etc? I think that is a lovely idea...I haven't got a crafty part in my brain so I donated money instead to help with costs and it would be great if those of us like me who weren't practically helping were included too. Well done by the way to everyone...the photos on profiles look amazing.

Enjoy the cake

Just what I needed Am36. Thanks! smile

Carrot cake presumeably counts as one of our 5-a-day, too, doesn't it, AM36??! grin

<accepts cake and coffee very gratefully>>

These will help energise me for sewing in all the ends on my latest square - it is mid blue with random bobbles in 3 other colours, and each bobble means two more ends to sew in.

Staying actually carrot cake could count as 2 of your 5 a day as there are raisins in it-
I could make the next one with some orange peel, lemon peel and crushed pineapple too so that would make 5 of your 5... an extremely healthy cake...(apart from the sugar, butter and the creamed cheese topping that is!

Niecie Thu 31-Mar-11 12:19:19

Purple - have you any idea how many knitted squares you are going to have? I was just wondering, if you end up with more than 100 or 144 squares (to make either a 5ft or 6ft blanket) whether you could put the left over squares together as another blanket and maybe raffle it for charity? If everybody is in agreement, that is. Edgar gets to chose the charity maybe.

Its just a thought. It seems everybody is producing loads of squares that this could be one mahoosive blanket!! smile

purplepidjin Thu 31-Mar-11 12:58:39

Niecie, I have absolutely no idea! I have 10 already!

I've started a thread http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/arts_and_crafts/1183725-Woolly-shoutouts-to to track what's arrived smile

TimeForCake Thu 31-Mar-11 22:31:44

<whispers to Ursula> I was quietly cheekily wondering that too. Can't produce anything nearly as good as the beautiful squares I've seen on here so far, so contributed to the funds, but glad we'll be part of the blankets still.

Keep going everyone! Can't wait for more photos.

bebejones Fri 01-Apr-11 09:25:02

LOTM - Another square in the post & winging its way to you!

Keep up the good work everyone!

EllenJane1 Fri 01-Apr-11 12:54:36

Some crocheted squares and left-over wool on its way, today. To purplepidjin, I assume. Have fun sewing them all together. Pictures on my profile.

purplepidjin Fri 01-Apr-11 13:50:11

Thank you - they're GORGEOUS!!!

KnottyLocks Fri 01-Apr-11 16:34:31

I feeling under pressure. Everyone's squares are so loverly.

<stitch, stitch, stitch>

<swig>

Littlefish Fri 01-Apr-11 16:59:25

EllenJame - lovely squares. I've always wanted to be able to crotchet. I can knit well, but just can't get my head around crotcheting.

On your profile it says you are Midlands/South West - I wonder if you are anywhere near me - I'm Worcs/Midlands.

Littlefish Fri 01-Apr-11 16:59:58

EllenJane, not Jame!

EllenJane1 Fri 01-Apr-11 17:06:09

Littlefish, it's the posh side of Gloucestershire, IYKWIM.

FellatioNelson Fri 01-Apr-11 17:09:16

All these squares are so beautiful. I feel humbled. (though my choosing and posting of wool took some skill, I can tell you. You have no idea.) I love this thread so much. It's making me weepy. I love it and I love you all. (not drunk.)

Littlefish Fri 01-Apr-11 17:32:14

Ellen - I'm not sure which the posh side is grin.

I was in Cheltenham yesterday - that's quite posh!

EllenJane1 Fri 01-Apr-11 17:37:53

I believe it is, isn't it? <Ahem>

Littlefish Fri 01-Apr-11 17:39:12

I may need to come and see you for crotchet lessons then!

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 18:50:40

Today I have cooked a roast dinner, done 2 loads of laundry, cleaned 3 bathrooms, taken a minibus load to the circus, done 5 lots of washing up...

And the blanket measures 5' x 18" grin

I've only joined the "rows" not the "columns" iyswim as I want it to be as neat as possible on the back so I'm trying to use a continuous line of the same colour. If anyone understands what I'm trying to say and can advise on whether that's the best way please do!

1 1/2 hours of my shift left and it's evens on whether I'll stay awake grin

LadyOfTheManor Sun 03-Apr-11 18:59:22

Had a load more squares turn up! I can start pinning, hurrah!

I shall take some photos this week of the progress for you all to admire criticise grin

EllenJane1 Sun 03-Apr-11 19:01:34

Half way there? Or not if you get loads of squares. How does it look? smile

Sewing the columns all at once sounds like a good idea, in a contrasting colour? Depends what you've got.

Again, many thanks for all your work along with Pixie et al etc organising this.

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 19:18:33

Yay lotm!

I will be putting pics up at www.facebook.com/mimapants which is my business website. I'm doing it there because I can dedicate an album to it and upload easily!

It looks brilliant I'm putting the squares in fairly randomly just trying to mix the colours up a bit. Currently working in mid blue because that's what I have most of. I have 8 more unattached squares but they're all blue shades so will wait for more so I can carry on mixing!

Pics will go up tomorrow when I have access to the camera and computer <yawn>

LadyOfTheManor Sun 03-Apr-11 19:21:50

Ok fab, I'll follow that link now. I'll put mine on my profile on here as of about Thursday

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 19:57:31

Lol there's nothing edgar-related there yet!

Littlefish Sun 03-Apr-11 20:16:11

purplepidgin - when I do a blanket with squares, I do exactly what you've done - ie. I sew the individual squares together into a strip first, and then do a continuous row of stitching to join the strips together.

I'm still waiting for my wool to arrive angry

I bought it from a seller on e-bay, so if it doesn't turn up tomorrow, I'll chase her up. I'm a pretty quick knitter, so the square should still be with you by the end of the week.

LawrieMarlow Sun 03-Apr-11 20:35:25

I have knitted two squares and am doing one and maybe two more. When do they need to be in by? (I do knit quickly )

Littlefish Sun 03-Apr-11 20:36:29

I think they have to be in by 8th April LawrieMarlow.

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 21:29:44

The end of this week-ish is fine. The sooner I have woolly ones and LOTM has fabric ones, the sooner we can put it all together and send it to the family

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 21:40:19

Hi Purple, thanks for putting the pics on your web site (tomorrow) as I cant access the pics on here for some strange reason. Would be lovely to see the finished product. I did take pics myself of my own squares, but, cant wait to see them as part of the whole blanket. smile

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 22:11:30

I have other pics on my profile, can you not see them?

And if I could figure out the mysteries of Photobucket or Flickr I'd do it there. In fact, if anyone wants a job maybe they could put all the pics into a public album so they're all together...

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:20:01

Pidj, I can see clothes, a cat, a pretty little girl and some crochet items.

<polishes crystal ball harder>

Nope, that's all.

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:20:54

No. When I click to see your pics it comes up saying sorry couldn't fnd that picture??????

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:21:39

...a tall dark stranger...a move eastwards...

Nope, still no squares.

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:22:57

...an African spiritual guide... a door with the number 7 on it...

<wafts hands mystically>

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:23:02

Wonder if there is something wrong with my settings?
I have one pic on mine, can you see it?

sharbie Sun 03-Apr-11 22:23:04

hi knotty smile

i can't sew or anything but would love to do something to help - what can i do ??

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:24:30

<adjusts coined headscarf>

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:25:33

This is weird..........I can't even view my own pic now LOL

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:26:40

Hello Sharbie, me lovely grin

You could PM Pixie to see if there is a job for you. Or find a nice piece of cotton fabric, cut a 7inch square - job done. No sewing necessary.

purplepidjin Sun 03-Apr-11 22:27:10

Knotty, you're half right. DP is 5'4" and his parents are Jamaican... Work is east of my house and one of the other homes is number 7... Bloody hell you're good!

Magic, that's a beautiful heron!

Sharbie, Pm PixieOnaLeaf and she will direct you to a PayPal account set up to help cover costs like materials, postage etc smile and thank you

sharbie Sun 03-Apr-11 22:27:48

will pm pix then thanks smile

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:28:09

Magic, all can see is a crane.

<wafts, oooooooooooooooooos a lot, and wafts>

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:29:06

Tha =nks Purple, i'm very pleased with that pic. If only I could view it grin

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:29:42

Bloody hell, I've frit meself now. Psychic powers, who knew shock

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:30:25

So can anyone advise me how to view it then LOL

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Apr-11 22:33:33

Er, I just clicked on your name, Magic.

Obviously my psychic ability doesn't stretch to technology grin

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 22:35:30

Ha ha ha Knotty.

I click on it as well but comes up the usual cant find that pic.

I think a little note to MNHQ is in order, see if they can help.

Hey all - finished my square - just need to know where to send it now?

Aghhh, i've looked at some of your piccies and mine is a million miles from being as good/polished as any of your lot I'm a bit embarrassed.

EllenJane1 Sun 03-Apr-11 23:33:27

Don't worry, Katy, a mix of plain and fancy will look lovely.

EllenJane1 Sun 03-Apr-11 23:34:30

PM pixie, she'll give you an address.

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 23:48:43

EJ1 Pm purple, she is the person who you will need to send it too.

magicOC Sun 03-Apr-11 23:49:41

Sorry EJ ythat message was meant for Katy oops smile

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 03-Apr-11 23:57:04

Message withdrawn

LadyWellian Mon 04-Apr-11 00:11:14

Just marking place as I've been talking a lot of nonsense on multiple threads over the weekend and this one has dropped off 'Threads I'm On'.

Have photos on my profile now too - finally spurred me to download all the pics on my memory card!

KnottyLocks Mon 04-Apr-11 07:07:57

Welli, they're lovely. The zigzag one is definitely trying to make a run for it;where to I wonder. Gold star grin

Katyathegringa - I think your little russian doll is really lovely! Inspired me to do something similar for a cushion for my sisters birthday. (If you don't mind me nicking your idea)! wink

KnottyLocks Mon 04-Apr-11 09:24:34

Katy, sorry missed your little doll. It's very cute indeed. Gold star! smile

Aw shucks, thanks Feel a bit better about it now.

You're more than welcome to nick the idea youretheoneformefatty

purplepidjin Mon 04-Apr-11 10:17:42
PixieOnaLeaf Mon 04-Apr-11 10:38:08

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 04-Apr-11 10:41:45

Message withdrawn

magicOC Mon 04-Apr-11 11:28:21

oh purple thanks for posting the pic. Loving all the beautiful work especially the crochet, never been able to o that no matter how many times ive been shown. I guess im just happy doing the knitting.

purplepidjin Mon 04-Apr-11 12:03:43

magic, I'm the same with knitting. I think it's like cats and dogs - some people love both, most people prefer one of the other grin

magicOC Mon 04-Apr-11 12:42:53

and i like both but lurve lurve lurve cats

KnottyLocks Mon 04-Apr-11 12:44:40

That blanket is going to look amazing. grin

I posted on the other thread started by KnottyLocks, but it seems you are all gathered over here! I have also posted a pick of my quilt square in case anyone fancies a quick look. Took longer than I was expecting, but can get it in the post today.

Everyone is so clever, I can't wait to see the finished product smile

bebejones Mon 04-Apr-11 12:47:59

Wow! The wooly one is going to be so beautiful! I have such enormous admiration for anyone who can knit (I am useless) and I am very envious of those who can crochet as I desperately want to learn!

Katya - that little Russian doll is absolutely beautiful, I LOVE it! Well done you!

KnottyLocks Mon 04-Apr-11 12:50:34

Purveyor, I spotted you on the other thread and posted a messge for you. Most excellent work. <applauds>

magicOC Mon 04-Apr-11 13:19:19

im just envious of those who can view pics, i cant lol. Except on purples link of course. gorgeous work guys. smile

EllenJane1 Mon 04-Apr-11 14:04:46

Katya and Purveyor, you're both so clever, they are beautiful.

Thanks for the work in progress picture, Purple. It's going to be lovely and snuggly.

Littlefish Tue 05-Apr-11 14:22:43

My wool has arrived. I've finished one square, and will finish another tonight. I'm working tomorrow, so I'll try and post them to you on Thursday.

LadyOfTheManor Tue 05-Apr-11 17:46:30

Had about 15 parcels today! The hungry caterpillar one is from anonymous but it is really beautiful!

LadyOfTheManor Wed 06-Apr-11 09:28:56

Ladies,
Had another load of parcels. Whomever sent the one with where "Noah" helped is incredibly gifted-they are incredible!

I have to ask though-please make sure the squares are cotton and NOT satin or felt (as these will shrink when washed and satin will snag when stitched). I can manoeuvre around these two but please don't send any more unless they're cotton! They are so beautiful and well thought out I have kept all cards,notes and letters to send with the quilt at the end. Please note it is ME making the quilt and not Pixie, so please don't address the letter as PIXIELEAF as my postie is giving me bizarre looks. I am pinning as I type this, so I'll get a photo of the squares so far and post them in about 30 minutes