Kate Smurthwaite of Cruella Blog pickets Sebastian Horsley's funeral

(1001 Posts)
dittany Thu 08-Jul-10 20:35:21

Sebastian Horsley being the prostitute (ab)user the media and chattering classes loved to love who died recently. He claimed to have paid for sex with over 1000 prostituted women, and as a reward got gigs writing in the Sunday supplements about his abusive exploits. To all his supporters he was worth a horse drawn carriage funeral through the streets of Soho - the place where he had made use of so many women.

Kate's sign said:

"Where are the horse drawn carriages for the VICTIMS of prostitution?"

cruellablog.blogspot.com/2010/07/threatened-with-arrest.html#comments

And for holding it up on the pavement outside the church she was threatened by the police with arrest for harassment.

I think it was incredibly brave of her. Somebody needed to say it.

Prolesworth Thu 08-Jul-10 22:51:52

oh I read about this: absolutely superb and yes, it needed to be said

(must confess I had no idea who he was before I read about Kate's picket though)

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 08-Jul-10 22:51:54

good for her. I have never been able to work out why Sebastian Horsley was so lionised - he didn't even write particularly well.

dittany Fri 09-Jul-10 08:34:00

The biggest misogynists and patriarchs are always the most popular in the patriarchy. It's why Martin Scorsese is regarded as the No 1 film director or everybody thinks that Martin Amis, Tony Parsons or Norman Mailer are fab.

Woman abusers have a very special place in most people's hearts. If you want to achieve adulation, just ensure that your work in some way displays utter contempt for women.

Meglet Fri 09-Jul-10 08:37:55

Thanks for posting this dittany. I was aware of SH but never realised the extent to which he used prostitutes.

Drives me up the wall that Polanski is still adored in Hollywood angry.

Yes, echoing that thanks.
And reading the mention of Amis made me think of this review of one of his books, which was delightful to read

sethstarkaddersmum Fri 09-Jul-10 12:31:27

grin @ 'Fond Memories of Vagina'.

tabouleh Sun 18-Jul-10 11:31:05

Oh is Kate the lady who was in the BBC3 documentary about the London Feminist Network - the comedien?

I really admire people who get involved in direct action.

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 10:36:02

Picketing the man's funeral? What a disgrace.

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 14:13:59

The woman who congratulated her at the funeral posted this on Kate's blog:

"It was me who came up to you at the church to offer my support and appreciation of your stand. It was a brave thing to do and yes, without a doubt, Sebastian would have appreciated your guts and enjoyed the shock value. because it was indeed a bit shocking to see you standing quietly and determinedly right at the entrance to the church with your placard. Amongst all the velvet, corsets, top hats and trussed up bosoms it was you that sent a ripple of shock waves through the mourners. Well done."

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 16:15:13

Yes, and others posted that they didn't agree (and others who haven't posted will not have agreed). Just like I am disagreeing. Oh, and Dittany, "The biggest misogynists and patriarchs are always the most popular in the patriarchy"?? What a bizarre remark. If you did an extensive poll of people in the UK, I doubt most people would have a clue who Sebastian Horsley was. As for Martin Amis, well - if you're going to go on book sales alone, I think you will find that Dan Brown and JK Rowling have outsold all MA's books many, many times over...

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 17:01:32

Can't be bothered arguing with you LadyThompson. I posted that person's remark because she was actually there, an eyewitness and a participant at the funeral.

Sebastian Horsley's friends turned this into a public spectacle with their horse drawn carriages through Soho which Kate Smurthwaite had every right to picket, particularly as Horsley's fame comes from his abuse of women. He was of no public interest otherwise.

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 17:20:30

You could have picked other people's remarks. You chose to pick that one, as if it was representative of all the comments there. But then, similarly, ANY funeral where the coffin goes through the streets could be argued to be a 'public spectacle', not just his. Picketing a funeral is low - not that I expect you to appreciate that, though if it was someone other than him, perhaps someone you admired, for instance, I strongly imagine you'd be outraged hmm Furthermore, it's rather glib of you to insist that his fame came from his abuse of women. I'd say he was more well known for abusing himself (the crucifixion, the drugs) but I do realise you are only capable of seeing things from just the one perspective, so any discussions with you tend to be less than fruitful. Anyway, he's dead, and anyway, your lauding of some bird who turned up with a banner at his funeral would not bother him a jot, I quite assure you.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 23-Jul-10 17:33:43

Personally I don't think picketing a man's funeral is appropriate.

Picket and campaign against the bloke when he is alive, yes. Not picket his funeral - he is dead and won't give a shit, it is not his relative's fault he was a vile human being.

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 18:14:20

" You chose to pick that one, as if it was representative of all the comments there."

Thanks for telling me my motivations. I'll have to remember to consult the next time when I don't know why I did something.

Actually I chose it because it added to the story. Kate Smurthwaite reported on the person who congratulated her, so her point of view was an interesting addition.

"your lauding of some bird"

Would you look at that misogyny. No wonder you don't give a shit about all the women Horsley abused if you feel happy to refer to women in those sorts of derogatory terms. Using prostituted women is low, not that I'd expect you to understand that. And it's glib and callous of you to ignore it.

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 18:15:49

"would not bother him a jot, I quite assure you"

Were you his friend? Did you ever challenge him on his abuse of prostituted women. Kate Smurthwaite did.

LadyBlaBlah Fri 23-Jul-10 18:26:02

Yes, why didn't she do something when he was alive?

LOL @ Lady Thompson - I agree - He was quite deliberately shocking in many ways including his religious provocation, open drug use and class snobbery. But I thought more than anything he was a bit sad - and furthermore was a prostitute himself at some times in his life, so he wasn't simply a black and white misogynist case as you suggest

<<sighs Nick Cave>>

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 18:37:09

I don't give a shit about all the women Horsley abused? I don't know where to start with that extraordinary remark - in fact, don't think I'll even bother...And you have the cheek to accuse me of telling you your motivations! Ridiculous!

I know you think that using words like 'bird' smites at the heart of what you see as the incessant and worldwide subjugation of women, but I am afraid I simply don't agree. Actually, I think your bellyaching about such things merely distracts from the real and more pressing feminist issues. I don't expect you to understand what they are, as you don't appear to have any perspective, so please don't bother hectoring me about it. I hope I can inculcate in my daughters (the one I have and the one I am carrying) the very perspective on issues you appear either to lack.

Oh, and I'm not really very interested in how Kate Smurthwaite conducted herself in conversations with Sebastian.

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 18:38:29

Oh, and that previous post was addressed to Dittany in case there was any doubt!

LadyBlaBlah - yes, I agree.

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 18:41:04

I didn't finish that final sentence of my third paragraph, and I can't really be bothered; but I am sure you get the gist.

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 18:45:27

She did LadyBlaBlah, she debated him.

"And you have the cheek to accuse me of telling you your motivations!"

If you don't like it, don't dish it out, it's not complicated. Good grief. Anyway feel free to demonstrate you care about all the women Horsley abused. Smurthwaite did, I'm sure you can find something to say about it if you want. I'd be happy to withdraw that comment.

"Sebastian"

First name terms . Was he really your friend? That's like an Asian Briton being friends with someone in the BNP. So self-defeating.

LadyThompson Fri 23-Jul-10 19:00:35

I don't have to justify or elaborate on my thoughts about women in prostitution to you, Dittany, though I will say that only a monster would think it wasn't a tragedy when anyone, man or woman or, God forbid, child, is forced into prostitution.

However, please refrain from your shabby observations about what you feel it may have been like to be a friend of his. Or even if can't/won't, I would simply suggest to you that they reflect more negatively on you than on me.

wukter Fri 23-Jul-10 19:03:56

Low, low, low, to picket a funeral.
Hardly affected the man himself, just made a difficult more difficult for his loved ones.

Cannot support that action.

dittany Fri 23-Jul-10 20:06:01

"though I will say that only a monster would think it wasn't a tragedy when anyone, man or woman or, God forbid, child, is forced into prostitution."

Indeed. Sebastian Horsley was prepared to pay to use quadruple amputees:

"I was in my kitchen making a shepherd's pie, or something equally wholesome, when a friend showed me a photo on his phone that he'd been sent by Sebastian Horsley. The picture was of Horsley in Amsterdam. He was grinning at the camera, naked – with a prominent erection, and a prostitute splayed out underneath him. Run-of-the-mill stuff for Horsley. What made it worth the photo was the fact that the prostitute was a quadruple amputee."

www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/amy-jenkins-theres-a-fine-line-between-the-rebellious-and -the-farcical-2004813.html

Must have been great to be a friend of Horsley, being complicit in his abuse of women.

This thread is not accepting new messages.