blooming disney princesses

(35 Posts)
flabbyapronbelly Wed 21-Apr-10 07:07:52

Grrrr
Have until now managed to avoid them but my dd has just had her 4th bday. She had quite a large party and so she has been given loads of tat, including lots of Disney Princess bits.
Have just sat down to read a little library of the princess books. Am quite shocked and can't help but think that they are part the route down which an unhealthy body image lies. They all have ridiculously proportioned bodies and not to mention their obsessions with beautiful dresses, sparkly things, being beautiful, having a handsome boyfriend. All so inane. I know quite a lot of dds friends are obsessed by them, but I worry about the influence it is having on them long term.
I know that this kind of thing has been written about loads before on mn but just wanted to vent as think most people I know in rl would think I'm a loon if I tried to talk to them about it!

fuzzpig Sun 12-May-13 21:47:12

Chunky I would be FUMING at the 'boys can't play with pink'. Inexcusable from a nursery worker, IMO.

DD actually got a bit upset and very confused after she'd been in reception a while. Started getting tearful and saying she wasn't allowed to play with trains anymore, and that DS couldn't play with dolls. Turned out some of her classmates had been saying it. Had a quiet word with her teacher and she sat the whole class down that day to discuss it and tell them that children can wear and play with whatever they wanted. smile

fuzzpig Sun 12-May-13 21:39:54

I feel your pain. It is really annoying - I generally love Disney and so do my DCs but the princesses 'sub brand' is just yuck. I was so sad to see the merida picture on facebook. And apart from the sexism, I find that most of the 'sub brand' products (often found in £shops etc) tend to be far lower quality than proper Disney store stuff.

I agree that it's good not to make a big deal about it. My DD likes the princesses, it started in preschool when she loved putting the snow white dress on. She's had presents of princessy stuff - really had to swallow my feelings when teen DSD gave her a disney 'stories for girls' book <gak> (despite the fact that DSD is quite often raging at sexism in adverts etc, so I was quite surprised at the choice) but we never banned anything and it never became an obsession. It's her 6th birthday soon and she will be getting Spongebob Lego among other things grin

Ah just realised this is a zombie thread but still relevant so I'm hitting Post anyway! smile

HullMum Sun 12-May-13 21:17:30

chunky have you told your little boy that you were a little girl once? (assuming that you were) Maybe he will see that being a girl is great too that way?

Royalmailer Sat 11-May-13 19:02:00

Tei those photos are just adorable

I sort of have the opposite problem! I did as much as I could to make my son a bit more gender neutral always dressed in yellows, greens, red etc he's now 3.6 and is what everybody always calls "a proper little boy" it makes me so angry! I know that he is just becoming his natural,self but there are so many other influences, I actually made a complaint to his nursery recently when he came home and tried to bin all of his pink stuff (and I'm talking bowls, cups, plates, t shirts, toys etc) because "boys can't play with pink!" Apparently his key worker had told him that little gem!

Winds me up no end because he has now taken this as gospel so he will quite often say "I'm not playing with this anymore, it's for girls only! I will have x y or z because that is for boys" and "Mummy look. That little girl has a blue Tshirt on, that is for boys!" And even through me explaining that actually it's nothing to Dow itch colour you wear, play with, eat off whatever you want he just doesn't seem to hear me!

TeiTetua Sat 11-May-13 18:48:47

This mentions Disney princesses and then presents an alternative (since the mother is a professional photographer).

www.jaimemoorephotography.com/2013/05/09/not-just-a-girl/

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 11-May-13 17:17:56

..good !

PeggyGuggenheim Sat 11-May-13 17:17:32

I think you'd all enjoy a website called A Mighty Girl - they have a very active FB page too. It's American ,a huge big site of girl-empowering books ,toys ,clothes etc. They started the Keep Merida Brave campaign which has 50000 signatures now ,and also a campaign to get female superheroes onto girls' underwear! they have thoughtful intelligent discussion and alternatives to offer, in terms of what other books / films to go to. Really

HullMum Sat 11-May-13 15:06:08

DD is obsessed with my neighbor totoro. It's also very appropriate for young children /toddlers. The mother is ill so the father is in charge of the children and a competent parent which I find a refreshing change from the bumbling dad. But the little girls are just brilliant especially satsuki the older daughter. oh and it's full of cute animals that kids love but you haven't got to worry about running in to any of the merchandise -unless you live in Japan, I suppose.

Catmint Sat 11-May-13 10:01:25

The paper bag princess is a good antidote book.

And the princess knight.

I agree with the pp that princess smarty pants is also good.

My dd is now 6 and has seen and enjoyed a few Disney princess films. She likes dressing up as a princess.

We did / do allow princess dresses, and even a bride dress that she wanted, but we always choose generic ones. They are much nicer and break the Disney connection a bit.

Our policy has been to provide princess stuff when asked but to actively offer a range of other role models.

Dd is currently obsessed with power rangers, so basically we have substituted one corporate cynical marketing exercise for another. hmm However, there is less princessification, so I am moderately happy.

Good alternative films are Kiki's delivery service or My Neighbour Totoro. Dd recommends princess mononoke. All these films are by studio Ghibli.

kim147 Sat 11-May-13 09:19:48

And Merida from Brave has had a makeover. Lost weight and her dress is more off the shoulder.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/merida-brave-makeover_n_3238223.html

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 11-May-13 08:22:30

Roald Dahl books are of their time - the police are men etc.

Try amightygirl.com for book and film recommendations.

HerrenaHandbasket Sat 11-May-13 05:53:02

Interesting info about Aladdin, I never knew that!

Disney princesses are the work of evil. I have two DSs and am sworn by my principles to get them tiaras and dresses and such should they request them. They are very small so haven't done so yet, thank goodness!

YokoUhOh Sat 11-May-13 05:34:19

I have a relative whose job it is to 'be' a Disney Princess at little girls' parties shock She gets paid to turn up and pretend to be Cinderella (I presume it's not a job you could do if you were overweight or facially challenged; it helps that she looks like a Disney Princess). Her mum used to be a staunch feminist, not sure that she is now her (grown up) children worship at the altar of Disney confused

memberfor Sat 11-May-13 05:22:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mulan is not so bad, Belle in Beauty and the Beast is at least obsessed by books rather than sparkly things, and in The Princess and the Frog they've specifically tried to cancel some of the most frequent criticisms.

But in general I entirely sympathise.

Yes, that chipmunks movie was my DD's first ever cinema trip. I was appalled by that scene

thumbwitch Wed 21-Apr-10 19:57:14

Ryoko - see the wiki page on Aladdin - I also thought it was about a Chinese boy, which the original story was, even though it was one of the 1001 Arabian Nights stories. So DIsney did kind of bugger it about, but then they started doing that. The Little Mermaid is the most annoying one, imo - nothing wrong with the original ending except that it doesn't allow for sequels!

Lutyens Wed 21-Apr-10 16:28:22

Ryoko, Alladin IS a middle eastern folk tale. The name Alladin is pronounced Allah-dheen and means "gift of Allah"

Disney got the location right but gave all the characters American accents and gave the princess an Asian name (Jasmine isn't Middle Eastern - the correct equivalent is Yasmeen)

MaryBS Wed 21-Apr-10 15:53:10

My 10yo is a former Disney Princess who is now into Star Wars and Dr Who. It DOES pass!

sweetkitty Wed 21-Apr-10 15:52:05

Yes they are very annoying but I think what a 3yo likes is completely different to a 15yo IYSWIM. I tell 5yo DD1 that the stories are fairytales and all make believe anyway.

I have one DD who loves Disney Princesses and another who loves snakes and dinosaurs, oh and a little one that loves Waybaloo grin

azazello Wed 21-Apr-10 15:41:48

I sympathise. I have a nearly 3yo DD who goes to playgroup so has decided that she likes disney princesses and pink is her favourite colour.

With the pink thing we are making it very clear that she might like pink but mummy likes blue best, daddy likes green, granny likes orange etc. My heart did sink when my grandma gave DD a whole set of the books of the film of the little mermaid etc... at the moment the mermaid is rescuing the prince because she is a doctor and that is what drs do.

phokoje Wed 21-Apr-10 15:36:31

am totally with you on the chipmunks sequel tho! i also though that particular scene was very bad. and i dont think i am over analytical. i sincerely hope that if a group of boys was ever so dismissive to DD that she would view it as the appalling behaviour it is, and to do that, she needs me to react to stuff like that in a negative way (like your 'how rude!'BDSM)

Ryoko Wed 21-Apr-10 15:06:08

Get her a book of the Brothers Grimm and read her some proper fairy tales.

Where all this happy ever after stuff comes from I don't know, even Disney wasn't like that when he was alive he stuck to the fairy stories with no sugar coating.

I still don't know how Aladdin suddenly ended up in the middle east confused

I think the princesses could be lumped along with all the other tripe that little girls seem to like - Princess Poppy, Bratz, Barbie ..

What is the antedote (reading, TV, film) for all this??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now