Sandhurst has its first female commander!

(8 Posts)
TallulahTheTiger Sat 15-Oct-16 07:39:02

Lieutenant Colonel Lucy Giles has just been presented with an Inspirational Award and named as Woman of the Year winner! Not sure if this should really be in feminist board or not but well done Ma'am! It is newsworthy but I look forward to a time when it's not and is just seen as a change of command!

The first female commander of a College at The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Lucy has been in the British Army for 25 years and has served on operations in Sierra Leone, East Timor, Bosnia, Iraq, Northern Ireland and Afghanistan.

building2016 Sat 15-Oct-16 08:30:00

Brilliant. Thanks for posting. I don't follow military news particularly but am pleased about this.

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 15-Oct-16 15:17:26

Hallo OP, just moving this over to Feminism Chat at your request.

GunnyHighway Sat 15-Oct-16 15:35:36

Nothing new, there have been 3 women COs of Battalions and my corps has now got a woman in charge of our RHQ (full Col) we have also had several female WO1 both RSM and I technical roles

Xenophile Sat 15-Oct-16 20:19:53

Nothing new maybe, but a female as CO of RMAS is a major step forward. However, this isn't really news as she was appointed at the beginning of the year.

MostlyHet Sun 16-Oct-16 17:00:36

But still worth celebrating. Heavens knows, I need something to celebrate right now!

Xenophile Sun 16-Oct-16 17:04:11

Absolutely, sorry if my post seemed to imply otherwise.

1DAD2KIDS Mon 17-Oct-16 21:49:38

I don't see that it's a big deal in the modern army. Many female offices have held prestigious postings. Has been that way for years. I don't gender is a big deal in the forces when it comes to promotions and postings. Congratulations Lieutenant Colonel Lucy Giles . I just see it as a big deal in Forces circles. I agree it is a shame it is in media circles. Maybe the civilian environment has a lot to learn from the MOD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now