Yay for my workplace! Challenging sexist behaviour...

(12 Posts)
TeamEponine Wed 21-Sep-16 15:12:21

There is loads of construction work going on at my workplace, has been for nearly a year. Other than the noise, all fine until this morning...

One of the workers, up high on scaffolding, was shouting at the females walking past (smile, nice arse, etc.). One of the women it was directed at was young and looked quite intimidated by the whole thing. It actually really shocked me because I realised that for a year I have been working in and walking through a building site everyday, and not heard one sexist comment from the workers.

So, I decided to email Estates about it.

Within five minutes they replied, copying in the site manager telling him to deal with it, that we have a zero tolerance policy on this kind of behaviour, and that it will not happen again. grin

Not really sure why I am posting this, other than it made me proud of my workplace and I wanted to share it, but there isn't anyone in the office at the moment to share it with.

MostlyHet Wed 21-Sep-16 19:14:23

Hooray!

venusinscorpio Wed 21-Sep-16 20:04:22

Well done OP!

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Wed 21-Sep-16 21:11:13

That's fantastic smile

alicemalice Wed 21-Sep-16 21:18:09

Well done OP.

Just to mention, a lot of building work is done under the Considerate Construction scheme now.

You can call the number listed outside a building site to complain about any harassment. I had a positive experience - was dealt with very promptly and taken seriously.

SpidersFromMars Wed 21-Sep-16 21:22:47

Good move - and good response.

LBOCS2 Wed 21-Sep-16 21:25:54

I work for a very large construction company and they're signed up to the considerate construction scheme and I know that they come down really heavily on inappropriate behaviour. It's reassuring to see actually.

KindDogsTail Wed 21-Sep-16 21:31:13

Well done for bothering - to both you and your workplace. It is good to know you can make a difference.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 21-Sep-16 22:23:27

The Code covers all sorts of things, not just harassment e.g you don't have to put up with builders' radios blasting out all day.

WankingMonkey Thu 22-Sep-16 02:01:26

Any jobs going at your place? My job..it seems I am expected to put up with a load of sexist drivel but I am used to it as I have always done bar work and such. Its so peaceful being at home now even though I am currently off with chronic pain issues. I don't get hit on 10 times per night or asked to get ya tits out for the lads at least...

Kr1stina Mon 26-Sep-16 21:27:53

Good for you OP

Trills Mon 26-Sep-16 21:49:38

Well done them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now