Report from Women & Equalities Select Committee meeting

(10 Posts)
ArcheryAnnie Sun 18-Sep-16 21:17:36

Have just seen this on twitter - it's a report from Stephanie Davies Arai, of the "Transgender Equality: What Next?" event held last week. It's really compelling reading but also really depressing.

stephaniedaviesarai.com/cwc/transgender-equality-what-next/

The one I am most depressed by is Ruth Cadbury. She's supposed to be one of the good 'uns, and pearls of wisdom from her during this meeting include "I am not threatened by transwomen" (how nice for her, but tell that to the 15 year old Davina Ayrton raped), "not all men", and "we didn't have time" when asked why women hadn't been invited to speak to the select committee after submitting written evidence. (There's never time for women.)

Thank you, all you women who went to this horrible meeting, and who had to endure threats and insults to do so.

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Sun 18-Sep-16 21:34:15

It was an excellent write up. Spotted it on twitter myself.

Very depressing reading. I just can't understand why people can't see trans rights and womens rights can go side by side.

It was very telling that there were few/one? transmen there.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 18-Sep-16 21:36:53

They didn't have time to consider how it will impact women. Ffs.

PoisonWitch Sun 18-Sep-16 21:53:36

The women and equalities committee didn't have time to have women speak on an issue which directly affects women. Words fail me.

Xenophile Sun 18-Sep-16 22:50:48

I have no idea why anyone is surprised that they 'didn't have time' to listen to women here. They had men speaking for us. Men always speak so much better than women.

WankingMonkey Sun 18-Sep-16 23:52:02

This is just depressing..some are perfectly happy with the direction we seem to be going in. I just don't understand it.

IBelieveTheEarthIsFlat Mon 19-Sep-16 08:13:53

Now is the time for all those lurking journalists to report on something newsworthy!

Come on. THIS is a bloody scandal

IBelieveTheEarthIsFlat Mon 19-Sep-16 08:15:00

Now is the time for all those lurking journalists to report on something newsworthy!

Come on. THIS is a bloody scandal

IBelieveTheEarthIsFlat Mon 19-Sep-16 08:56:50

Oops sorry for doubler

Beachcomber Mon 19-Sep-16 09:30:53

Thanks for the link. That is really well written.

Very very concerning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now