Those ads with Johnny Depp

(19 Posts)
Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 10:09:57

are all over the place at the moment!

is it just me - these should be pulled shouldn't they?

SpeakNoWords Mon 05-Sep-16 12:22:26

Why? He's got divorced, not convicted of anything. You and I might find them to be tasteless but if the company they're advertising still thinks that JD is a good representative of their brand then it's up to them.

Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:33:04

yes, Speak, that is the answer.

I thought the case was still ongoing when I posted this but it seems it was settled a few weeks ago.

however, I do wonder, if a famous woman was accused of violence to a partner, and then it was dropped, would a company continue to use them as a brand ambassador?

They might have weighed it up and decided most buyers would find it hilarious and be prompted to buy, that's another option.

MatildaOfTuscany Mon 05-Sep-16 12:35:08

Is it just me, or is there more than a hint of irony in the fact that the brand he is advertising is called "sauvage"? Perhaps (sadly) they know their consumers all too well.

SpeakNoWords Mon 05-Sep-16 13:00:06

JDs reputation certainly seems to be considered unscathed after the divorce has been settled. I don't know if he's experienced any negative effects on his career, but I bet Amber will experience some if she hasn't already. The vitriol aimed at her was astounding, with her major crimes seem to be being young, attractive and not afraid to put her point of view about their marriage across.

HemlockIsSpartacus Mon 05-Sep-16 13:45:25

They should, brands should be unwilling to be linked to a domestic abuser, but they wont because they actually don't care.

BrianCoxReborn Mon 05-Sep-16 13:53:03

In a different league, celebrity-wise, but Kerry Katona was dropped from the Iceland ads due to her drunken and drugged up antics.

Seems Mr Depp is ok to be a drunken junkie, cos he's a fittie hmm

Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:53:32

Hemlock, I don't know if it's a case of "don't care" or a case of thinking that the market doesn't care and apparently still worships him so they are going with that?

I guess you could argue they are the same thing.

HemlockIsSpartacus Mon 05-Sep-16 13:54:18

Bit of both I think Lorelei

Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:54:54

Brian - I think there's a different market there - drunken junkie for perfume ad is one thing, drunken junkie for Iceland market different again.

I don't mind the drunken junkie part either way, it's the accusations of violence that worry me.

That1950sMum Mon 05-Sep-16 13:58:26

He hasn't been convicted of anything as far as I know.

He's an amazing actor and a beautiful man and I'm very happy to see him on TV as often as they want to run the ads.

If he's convicted or any of the allegations are proven to be anything other than gossip, then it would be time for a re-think.

Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 14:01:18

1950s, no, he wasn't.

it's different companies of course, but when Tiger Woods was dropped from sports adverts for cheating on his wife, that made no sense to me either. I am looking at this commercially - would anyone buying TW advertised stuff care that he cheated on his wife? I doubt it.

now, what percentage of people will be put off buying this brand due to JD - I thought it would be higher? But apparently not.

HemlockIsSpartacus Mon 05-Sep-16 14:06:33

No, because people are unwilling to accept he's anything other than a "beautiful man" They don't want to be put off the brand, so they aren't. Violent men in the public eye rarely suffer negative consequences, people like to either claim that the women (and let's face it, it's always men who hurt women who get excused by the public) are lying, or just choose not to think of it at all.

That1950sMum Mon 05-Sep-16 14:13:39

Hemlock I meant that he's physically beautiful. In terms of his character, as I've said, nothing has been proven. If he's convicted of any acts of violence I would not want to see him being used for advertising.

We have a justice system that is based on being innocent until proved guilty but that doesn't seem to apply once something appears in the tabloids.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 05-Sep-16 14:28:21

Slight tangent but a friend told me (several months ago, so before the recent news) that when these went up in their city someone reworded them all to "Sausage" grin

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 05-Sep-16 14:32:29

I don't disagree about it being iffy to have him as the face of their adverts but to say it would be different for women isn't true. Off the top of my head I can think of Cheryl, Naomi Campbell and even Amber Heard herself who have all had allegations of assault and are still big celebrity names. I think it's celebrity status that gets people the right to act like arse holes without consequences rather than if their male or female.

Bumbledumb Mon 05-Sep-16 14:44:35

Naomi Campbell has had more than just allegations. She has been convicted four times for assault.

Quimby Mon 05-Sep-16 14:51:52

Hope solo continued to get sponsorship deals

Lorelei76 Mon 05-Sep-16 14:53:18

ah - I didn't know about those women. interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now