Sainsburys unisex school shirts....

(60 Posts)
BertrandRussell Fri 02-Sep-16 22:22:16

...are, in fact, boy's shirts. Of course.

Velvetdarkness Fri 02-Sep-16 23:03:47

In what way? Is it to do with the way they button?

BertrandRussell Fri 02-Sep-16 23:06:09

Yep. They are straight up and down shirts that button the boy's way. And they are being sold as "unisex".

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 02-Sep-16 23:07:15

Well surely there's only two ways they could button and would kids even notice anyway?

Cherrypi Fri 02-Sep-16 23:08:11

Isn't that better than having girl ones with heart buttons? (Like the trousers)

JigglypuffsCaptor Fri 02-Sep-16 23:09:04

Maybe they should have done alternating buttons? grin that could have been interesting in a rush!

SavoyCabbage Fri 02-Sep-16 23:10:33

They could have done a two pack with one of each way of f buttoning.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 02-Sep-16 23:13:46

Maybe a zip is the answer

steppemum Fri 02-Sep-16 23:16:03

not sure what the fuss is.
My dds hate the 'girls' shirts, because they have narrow sleeves which are shorter. They are also narrower in body and so less comfortable.

I have always bought 'boys' shirts, and dds are very happy and comfortable in them.

The whole issue of buttons is a non issue for me anyway as half my shirts etc are mens.

BertrandRussell Fri 02-Sep-16 23:17:20

Maybe not assuming "male" as default might be the answer?

JigglypuffsCaptor Fri 02-Sep-16 23:33:45

But a males shirt is going to fit everyone, a fitted shirt with darts is not going to fit a boy very well because of their structure.

The only solution is a straight shirt which is commonly, yes a man's shirt.

BertrandRussell Fri 02-Sep-16 23:41:56

But why boy"s buttons?

GunnyHighway Fri 02-Sep-16 23:52:01

Wow Bertrand, you're going all out to find offence here.

BikeRunSki Fri 02-Sep-16 23:53:30

Why not? They've got to go one way or the other.

The side buttons are on originates from the days when women had dressers, so "boy's side" buttons make more sense if you are getting yourself dressed anyway.

There are a lot bigger gender equality issues in kids' clothes and shoes than which side the buttons on a unisex shirt are.

coolerthanthereddress Fri 02-Sep-16 23:53:36

A straight up and down shirt absolutely does not fit everyone. What about girls who have breasts?

Balletgirlmum Sat 03-Sep-16 00:03:43

Dd much prefers girls shirts as they fit her better.

Surely girls & boys should be free to wear clothes that are both comfortable & that they feel flatter them (which is presumably why M& S have several styles including blouses with an extra bit under the buttons so they don't gape over the breasts

Dd hates wearing boys style (for wAnt of a better word) shirts as they make her feel shapeless & frumpy.

She wishes that the girls Blazers were cut differently to the bits (at her brother's school the girls Blazers are a lovely fitted style)

norabattyapparently Sat 03-Sep-16 00:09:42

Nobody is forced to buy them

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 03-Sep-16 00:25:54

But a males shirt is going to fit everyone

No it does not. As Cooler says a straight up and down shirt absolutely does not fit everyone.

Many years aho I occasionally used to borrowed a plain white shirt from my husband to wear with a black tailored suit when we were both chest 34'. His shirt was too wide at the collar, too baggy round my waist, too tight round the hips and too long in the sleeve.

FRETGNIKCUF Sat 03-Sep-16 00:29:14

Silly Bertrand stop making a fuss.

It's boys way because boys couldn't possible button up the feminine way as that would be gay.

Why is it the boys way???

FRETGNIKCUF Sat 03-Sep-16 00:29:49

Large breasts will not fit in a boys short without being massive at the shoulders.

FRETGNIKCUF Sat 03-Sep-16 00:29:58

Shirt

CodyKing Sat 03-Sep-16 00:42:49

I have twins so needed boys white tops and girls white tops - so I knew who's was who's

I brought tescos one girls - one boys

Both exactly the same!!!

I want a bit of edged collar or buttons the other side - but no!!!

I agree why not 'girls' side?

thedogstinks Sat 03-Sep-16 02:31:10

But male and female bodies are different. It makes sense to design the fit differently.

Or are we talking very little kids? Like up to 7 or 8?

As an aside, on my first trip to Hong Kong 25 years ago I had a lovely pair of silk slim fit slacks made for me. Perfect, if I'd only, ahem, dressed 'to the left'.

BertrandRussell Sat 03-Sep-16 08:21:19

These are for 16 year olds. They would fit some, but I suspect not many, 16 year old girls.

The fact remains that a decision has been actively made that a "unisex" shirt will button up the boy's way.

It's not an occasions for outrage or offence. Just another tiny example of maleness taking precedence.

Mide7 Sat 03-Sep-16 13:00:52

Surely they are unisex buttons on a unisex shirt?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now