Receiving more islamophobia from men

(19 Posts)
Atlas15 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:03:39

Today I had two comments from two different men. One calling me a stupid bitch another just angry muttering whilst giving me a dirty look.
It is quite normal if I'm honest, considering the recent events and the way I am dressed. But I do wonder why it is mainly men who say this to me a Muslim women and not really to muslim men.
If I am walking or shopping with my husband, I may get the odd dirty look but no rude comments, shouting or spitting.
I suppose these men see us as an easy target and therefore say and do things to us instead of Muslim men.

Dayna1 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:21:23

I would think the last sentence of your post is the case indeed.

sixinabed Tue 19-Jul-16 12:23:07

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. It's not fair.

mzS1990 Tue 19-Jul-16 12:23:07

Because they wouldn't dare say it to men..
They target shy youngsters, old men and women.

And also because they are idiots

wizzywig Tue 19-Jul-16 12:24:01

They are cowards who are targetting you as they dont think you'll fight back

LurcioAgain Tue 19-Jul-16 12:36:00

flowers Atlas. You are right - you are suffering the double whammy of racism and sexism, and it is because women are seen as an easier target. (It's not idiocy that drives these people, btw, it's vile, deliberate nastiness).

Ugh. Sorry you are being subjected to such vile behaviour flowers

Sabistick Tue 19-Jul-16 12:59:43

How is your husband dressed? Is he able to pass for a Hindu, secular, or whatever? It's cowardly to abuse anyone and women are disproportionally targeted.

VestalVirgin Tue 19-Jul-16 14:31:52

It is interesting, isn't it, how Islamists target women, and European men claim they are against Islam because it is misogynist, but then it turns out that European men molest Muslim women, because ... why? Certainly not to protect women.

I think it is because they are cowards, but I also think that it is because they don't see women as people.

To men on both sides of the conflict, women are just property, and they want to damage the property of other men.

TheABC Tue 19-Jul-16 14:37:11

You said it yourself; they are picking on the weaker target. The dress for muslim women is more obvious than that for men, especially if they choose a westernised option. I

Xenophile Tue 19-Jul-16 15:02:35

They do it because they're cowards and arseholes. I'm really sorry this happens to you.

What, if anything would you like people who witness men doing this to do to help?

Atlas15 Tue 19-Jul-16 18:13:36

Hi thank you for your lovely comments. My husband wears loose clothing and has a beard but dresses more western than me, he is Moroccan so I guess he can be identifiable as a Muslim but I also guess sometimes not.
Most of the time things happen so quickly and I walk off, I don't want to stand around but if the person is harrassing me in a que or on public transport then I hope that someone would just back me up when I tell the person to leave me alone. But I don't expect people to do anything as sometimes I don't think people are aware of what's going on and might be scared to get involved. Thank god I haven't actually been attacked yet apart from being spat at.
I've started restricted myself to where I go. I became Muslim when I was a teenager and my family live in Dagenham. I will not go there now, growing up it was quite a racist area we had the BNP campaigning at the train station and no one batted an eyelid.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 19-Jul-16 18:17:02

My friend had this happen to her, she was in the supermarket with her two little DC and a woman started yelling at her about Muslims and go back to where you came from and she can't live here now due to Brexit! Friend was very shaken but responded that she was born and bought up here where was she supposed to go with her two DC also born and bought up here.

Terrifying thing is nobody intervened at all.

It was a really awful experience for her poor thing.

I'm sorry you experienced this, you're not alone unfortunately.

OlennasWimple Wed 20-Jul-16 04:40:46

Sorry you have had this OP flowers

moonstruckl8 Wed 20-Jul-16 07:32:36

"To men on both sides of the conflict, women are just property, and they want to damage the property of other men." vestal that really jumped out at me. womens bodies are really the battleground on which the pervasive ideologies are being fought on and over. bikini vs burqah, labiaplasty vs hymenoplasty.
atlas i feel the same. i dislike going out with my children lest they see any abuse directed at me - the child whatever their faith is innocent it is the parents who choose the religion. if i catch any heat for wearing a headscarf i dont feel its fair to inflict that on them too. so instead i leave their dad to take them out who even with a lumberjack style beard still doesnt look muslim. i also find myself appreciating my husband's physical strength and height more than his brains at the moment, nobody would mess with him easily. we should have got beyond looking for brawn in a mating partner though, its all meant to be civilised and intellectual now right?

Flufflepuff Wed 20-Jul-16 07:45:40

flowers fucking awful behaviour from cowardly shits.

Hope this fresh new wave of racism is stamped out somehow, but I'm not that hopeful at the moment based on some of the things I'm seeing and reading sad

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 20-Jul-16 08:43:43

I am really sorry this is happening to you.
There were 2 incidents described in the news yesterday - it must be happening all the time.

drspouse Wed 20-Jul-16 11:58:22

How is your husband dressed? Is he able to pass for a Hindu, secular, or whatever?

I know some Sikh men have had abuse (mainly Islamophobic due to the fact that racists are generally dumb as a box of nails) so I think it is partly the weak target (small boys in their outfits for mosque school may also be vulnerable) plus the identifiable nature of the outfit (I do wonder whether a strapping biker in a Sikh turban would get the same).

ReaWithson Wed 20-Jul-16 15:02:12

Awful to hear this is "normal" for Muslim women in the UK.

I know there was outrage amongst some when a man was arrested for tweeting the fact that he'd "confronted" a Muslim woman in Croydon the day after the terror attack in Brussels... "terrible incursion on our rights to say "silly" things in the street"... What?! No, a man is publicly and proudly declaring that he confronted a woman on the street; something he wouldn't have done to a man or a woman with a man. Why on earth is his 'right' to confront women on the street more important than a woman's right to walk down the street without being harassed?

I noticed this in comments about the report that a "Moroccan man" attacked a woman and her daughters in France for being too scantily dressed. They honestly almost seemed pleased that it had happened and it certainly gave them ammunition to talk about the disgusting treatment of women by Islam but the concern really was not for these particular females who were so terrifyingly attacked, or even for women in general, but for "our" (white European) women.

These very same men have no problem with discussing young girls in swimwear and how it makes them feel uncomfortable if the girls are "too young" or "too old" to be clothed in a particular way. They would be furious if it is pointed out to them though - obviously there is no parallel or connection at all hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now