Miss GB stripped of title for having sex

(28 Posts)
iremembericod Sat 18-Jun-16 09:12:12

www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/17/miss-great-britain-title-sex-itv2-love-island-zara-holland-alex-bowen

Just when you thought this sexist objectifying contest couldn't get any worse. The current winner has been stripped (love it when they use this word in such a humiliating way) of her title because she had sex and that just isn't befitting of Miss GB

The slut shaming is off the scale.

I feel like she may need some feminist hugs

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 18-Jun-16 09:20:52

She had sex on a TV reality show - not sex in private -

Is this what we want for our daughters?

PotatoBread Sat 18-Jun-16 09:22:32

She wasn't stripped of it for having sex, she was stripped of it for having sex on TV. Big difference.

treaclesoda Sat 18-Jun-16 09:23:42

TBH I don't have much sympathy for someone who would enter a Miss GB contest or go on a reality TV show.

LIZS Sat 18-Jun-16 09:24:15

She brought the title and therefore the organisation into disrepute by her public behaviour. Most jobs would have similar in the contract. Whatever happened to self control confused

originalmavis Sat 18-Jun-16 09:27:03

Well it is a beauty pageant. If you go in for that guff then you follow their dumb rules.

I can't get worked up over a woman choosing to enter that sexist, caveman bullshit then whinge when the sexist, caveman bullshit rules are enforced.

Shakey15000 Sat 18-Jun-16 09:29:42

I've little sympathy either for anyone getting involved willingly in trash TV. It's not like no-one wouldn't know what these programmes are like unless they are spectacularly dumb.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Sat 18-Jun-16 09:34:26

She was in a beauty pageant.

And then she went on a show that appears from the article to be about seeing how quickly you can 'couple up' so other people can watch you having sex.

So basically you have got to get a man, as quick as possible? Boak.

Do they count same sex couples? Do I even care?

I think she needs an intervention and I think the real feminist and social issue is how fucked up are things that either of these two shows even exist?

emilybohemia Sat 18-Jun-16 09:38:13

I have sympathy for her. She's twenty and the show has had a negative impact on her and left her feeling that her value lies in her sexual attractiveness. Increasingly, she seemed to suffer from low self esteem in the show and a need to 'prove' her worth.

Taking the title away from her is slut shaming and confirms how chauvinistic the competition is. At times, the show also treats the female contestants like they're in a meat market. I feel for Zara in the midst of a society that values looks so much and I quite like her for her realness. I worry about the impact of all this on her mental health after the show as there have been so many negative comments about her. Predictably enough, the blokes on the show don't get the same judgement.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 18-Jun-16 09:38:18

There was a long AIBU thread about it. I didn't post as most posters were outraged by the fact she had "been stripped of her title" overlooking the enormous elephant in the room of why the hell does Miss GB even still exist? (I didn't know it did and am depressed to find out its corpse seems to have been reanimated)

Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title for refusing the draft for Vietnam- she is not quite in the same league.

emilybohemia Sat 18-Jun-16 09:40:22

Yes, it is fucked up that both exist and the show is very misogynistic and outdated. No opportunity for same sex couples to 'couple' up either.

TeiTetua Sat 18-Jun-16 13:11:52

I can't get too worked up over someone who knowingly participates in a rotten system, and then gets treated rottenly by it. Two rotten systems actually, the contest and the TV show. And she wasn't physically hurt and probably got well paid for her time. One should not inquire into how much she enjoyed the sex (if it was real).

VestalVirgin Sun 19-Jun-16 16:51:05

Is this what we want for our daughters?

No ... but neither is being "Miss GB" what I would want for my daughter.

It is stupid. This nonsense thing is about beauty, so why do they strip her of her title because she had sex, whether on TV or not? Does having sex make her any less beautiful?

It's not a "be a role model for our daughters" competition, it's a fucking beauty pageant.
They basically give her the title of "Woman most men want to fuck", and then complain when she actually lets men fuck her. It's so ridiculous.

So, makes no sense. She really should have known, though. Perhaps she doesn't really mind. Whatever.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 20-Jun-16 12:44:39

She's likely to remain semi-famous for a lot longer this way than by holding the title blamelessly for a year. Whether that was a factor in her decision to act as she did I am not in any position to comment, but it won't necessarily be a bad thing for her career in the long term.

BarbarianMum Mon 20-Jun-16 13:44:57

I sat next to a couple of 'Miss World' contestants on a long-distance flight some years ago. Other than keep their make-up flawless (this was a lot more work that it sounds, I don't wear make up and was by turns horrified and impressed by the amount of work it took) they were busy writing their personal statements on how they would make the world a better place if they won. They explained that the winner does a lot of touring, supports charitable causes, makes speeches about empowering women etc Certainly it was clear that you are supposed to act as some sort of spokesperson for the Miss World brand for the year of your victory and I guess I can see how shagging virtual strangers on TV conflicts with that. Not sure I'd count it as slut shaming though, although without a directly comparable 'Mr World' competition it's hard to be sure. <on fence>

scallopsrgreat Mon 20-Jun-16 14:22:44

I think the fact that there isn't a 'Mr World' competition with the same expected standards of behaviour, says it all really.

originalmavis Mon 20-Jun-16 15:27:42

Wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger Mr Universe?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Mon 20-Jun-16 22:46:06

Mr Universe is a body building competition. It's not really comparable.

originalmavis Mon 20-Jun-16 22:56:35

I know, bad joke.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Mon 20-Jun-16 23:42:47

Sorry.

Lilacpink40 Mon 20-Jun-16 23:46:20

I don't watch much TV and this post reminds me why I don't!

CoteDAzur Tue 21-Jun-16 22:12:58

So having sex is gets you disqualified but being male doesn't? confused]

FrameyMcFrame Thu 23-Jun-16 07:55:57

It seems she invested a lot if time and money into getting this title, why should she then have it revoked for doing a blowjob? It wasn't even broadcast on t.v, just implied that she'd taken part.

I'm very angryfor her, I may not agree with her choices but it's extreme misogyny to PUNISH her for having sex.

originalmavis Thu 23-Jun-16 08:53:40

But that's the rules. if even I know that then she certainly would have. I believe you can't have had kids either.

Now the cynic in me is wondering if she did it on purpose with her eye on more lucrative reality TV deals? I'd never have heard of her if s hadn't happened.

KittyLaRoux Thu 23-Jun-16 09:04:37

She broke the rules that she agreed to.

Its that simple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now