NI bravery

(11 Posts)
PalmerViolet Tue 24-May-16 17:31:26

Guardian article about three women who have handed themselves in to the police in NI in protest that women there don't have proper or equitable access to healthcare like their sisters on the mainland.

Will have to see if women in the Isle of Man follow suit.

geekaMaxima Tue 24-May-16 18:25:39

Good on them! I admire their courage (and hope they have a good solicitor).

I don't know enough about the current tide of opinion in NI to be sure their action will help, but I really hope it does.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 24-May-16 22:03:19

This will be very interesting. I don't think they will be prosecuted.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 24-May-16 22:04:07

I think it will help.

PalmerViolet Tue 24-May-16 22:05:51

I don't think they will either, but if enough women do it, then eventually, surely, someone has to do something?

Or am I being a ridiculous optimist?

I think they are incredibly brave.

AHellOfABird Tue 24-May-16 22:36:25

Hoorah for them

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 25-May-16 06:05:31

What brave women to take this direct action.

FreshwaterSelkie Wed 25-May-16 06:32:59

Fantastic- brave and bold and much needed. I particularly love that they're older women, for some reason. Gives me hope for feminism across the generations IYKWIM? Women of all ages standing together for our rights.

I wonder what will happen next?

treaclesoda Wed 25-May-16 06:48:27

I know social media isn't an accurate representation of people's opinions but I've been very surprised recently to see lots and lots of women I know sharing very anti abortion opinions on facebook etc, along the lines of 'we don't want the abortion act extended to NI', ever since this has gained such publicity. It really surprised me because I thought the tide was turning but I'm not sure that it is. I know very few people (maybe 3 or 4?) who say they want the law here to change.

PalmerViolet Wed 25-May-16 07:49:52

Blimey treacle, that's really sad to hear.

I have the opposite from NI friends, so I had got complacent, but you're right, this isn't going to be a cake walk, and that for me serves to increase the bravery of these women.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Thu 26-May-16 01:39:34

Google comes up with around 68-70% wanting change but this is for the "rape or incest and fatal fetal abnormality scenario".

It was debated in Stormont earlier this year. Jim Allister, leader of the Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) opposed the rape amendment, calling it a “charter for abortion on demand” and claiming that it’s easy for a woman to cry rape: “All you have to do is to allege indecent assault it seems - rape - and you're entitled, on the nod, of a medical practitioner to abortion.”

Whilst his comments are obnoxious his stance does at least recognise the absurdity of "abortion is OK for rape" stance.

He is wrong in assuming it would be that easy but he is right in recognising (although unintentional and he I come to different end conclusions) the difficulties which would be thrown up by making abortion legal in only those limited circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now