Trouser uniform policy

(35 Posts)
CuntingDMjournos Mon 09-May-16 21:58:01

Uniform policy at the secondary school I would otherwise want my children will attend :
Boys: Blazer, white shirt and grey trousers (non specific)
Girls: tartan kilt or tartan trousers
Now, I see these children walking to and from school. Not once have I seen a child wearing tartan trousers looking like Rupert the bear. The uniform suppliers do not list tartan trousers on their uniform lists for the school. I bet they are about four times the price of plain grey trousers which can be purchased from any supermarket.
It feels like a gesture saying we'll make you look like a fool for wanting to dress as a boy, silly females
Thoughts?

OnceThereWasThisGirlWho Tue 10-May-16 01:59:42

I think it's more a case of insisting that girls and boys have to wear different clothes, for various social non-reasons. It was the same at my school - after much protest and petitioning, girls were allowed trousers but only a very specific school style, that were so horrible no-one wore them. I did wonder if that had been done on purpose at the time but think it's more to do with women's clothes being expected to be decorative. So the trousers were fitted and tapered (but looked awful and unflattering on most people, a bit like the sort of nylon trousers your grandmother would buy mail-order!), whilst those tartan trousers are more decorative (though hideously) than the boys'.

Actually, reading that back makes me think there may well be an element of expecting girls to not look, er, "tempting" (because how can males control themselves, how else to keep an acadamic atmosphere in a school? Plus looking/being feminine AND being educated don't mix of course... hmm). Both styles of trousers are suitably hideous to stop all those young temptresses, style of thing.

With the added bonus that the styles are so specific they have to be purchased at great expense. I've never worked anywhere without a uniform but I believe this is also an issue with women's smart workwear.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 10-May-16 02:04:41

If you've never seen a child wearing the tartan trousers, and they aren't available to buy from the the uniform suppliers, then it sounds like the school haven't got around to updating all the places where they publish their uniform details. I'd ask the school for details of their current policy and query the tartan trousers as they seem to be an obsolete option.

GreenTomatoJam Tue 10-May-16 06:08:36

What you also need is a nice scottish lad who asserts that it's his cultural identity to wear the kilt, to highlight the absurdity of the uniform restrictions.

VestalVirgin Tue 10-May-16 08:03:21

Suggest to the school that your children will attend, but your daughters will wear standard grey trousers.
If they refuse, your children will go to another school, simple as that.

What you also need is a nice scottish lad who asserts that it's his cultural identity to wear the kilt, to highlight the absurdity of the uniform restrictions.

He'd probably be forced to wear a grey kilt, so that the pervy men in the vicinity don't accidentally molest him instead of a schoolgirl. angry

TheVermiciousKnid Tue 10-May-16 08:42:09

At my daughter's school, girls are not allowed to wear trousers - because according to the headteacher they would look like boys if they did. hmm And she (headteacher) apparently also said that if trousers were to be allowed, she would make sure they would be as hideous as possible so that no girl would actually want to wear them. Sometimes it's hard to believe we're actually in the 21st century.

VestalVirgin Tue 10-May-16 08:55:35

because according to the headteacher they would look like boys if they did

I would be sorely tempted to reply "Maybe you would look like a man in trousers. My daughter is prettier than that." (I wouldn't do it because it'd be unfair to the decent women who have masculine facial features, but I would be tempted)

Your poor daughter. Any chance for her to change schools? flowers

TheVermiciousKnid Tue 10-May-16 09:00:09

Yes, I almost always wear trousers but I don't think anybody would mistake me for a man. Ridiculous.

Luckily she's only got a few weeks left, she can't wait to leave...

WriteforFun1 Tue 10-May-16 12:47:24

I can't believe this isn't covered by equality legislation. My mum was pushing for girls to be allowed to wear trousers in school and we still haven't got there?

OP, I would make a big deal out of this one. Tartan trousers! I think a boy wearing the kilt would make no point at all, because men wear kilts. I note you say "otherwise want your children to attend" - please say they won't be going because of this!

GreenTomatoJam Tue 10-May-16 14:39:53

Exactly Write.

Men wear kilts, women wear trousers, makes neither less of a woman or a man, because how our legs are clothed has no effect on the rest of our body.

ie. it's the same point.

noeffingidea Tue 10-May-16 14:58:52

This would be a reason for me to send my daughter to anotyer school.
IMO, it's skirts that should be banned at school. A uniform should be as unisex as possible.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 10-May-16 16:40:07

IMO, it's skirts that should be banned at school. A uniform should be as unisex as possible

Forcing girls to wear trousers then ? "Unisex" doesn't mean unisex does it?

VestalVirgin Tue 10-May-16 17:14:55

Forcing girls to wear trousers then ?

I don't see how that would be more wrong than forcing boys to wear trousers.

Unless, of course, the school does not provide proper, sex-segregated bathrooms.

In that case, the girls need skirts to be able to pee outside on the school grounds without exposing their genitals.

Other than that, I see no reason why girls would have more need for skirt-wearing rights than boys?

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 10-May-16 17:25:41

I would email the school and ask them for the stockists for the girls' trousers as you are considering the school for your DD who will be wearing trousers. Wait to see what they say.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 10-May-16 20:05:29

Other than that, I see no reason why girls would have more need for skirt-wearing rights than boys?

Why should girls not wear skirts if they want to? The post I was querying was proposing banning skirts and making the uniform "unisex".

Except "unisex" means trousers- as if a garment traditionally worn by boys is inherently better than a garment worn by girls. I really hate this attitude.

VestalVirgin Tue 10-May-16 20:36:28

Except "unisex" means trousers- as if a garment traditionally worn by boys is inherently better than a garment worn by girls. I really hate this attitude.

Trousers have been a garment worn by girls for a very long time by now. And that is because they are more practical in most circumstances.

I wouldn't mind if everyone was allowed to wear trousers AND skirts - where I live, school uniforms of any kind are not a thing, anyway. But if we must be limited to one, then trousers it is.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 10-May-16 21:30:59

But if we must be limited to one, then trousers it is

Why ? That makes no sense. There is this assumption on here that girls and women hate wearing skirts. And that trousers are always so much more practical. Why should girls be denied the choice of wearing skirts?

WriteforFun1 Tue 10-May-16 21:41:22

You again on this topic Lass... Gah.

Vestal, I agree, if we had one I'd say trousers as they are so much more practical and don't involve ruddy tights. But I would offer both choices to all.

Hope op comes back to update us if there's any feedback from the school. I imagine they would be horrified if all the girls started wearing tartan trousers.....

SenecaFalls Tue 10-May-16 21:49:09

But in this case and others that posters on MN have described, it appears that the style trousers allowed are specifically designed to discourage girls from wearing them, thus creating a de facto skirt only policy. That is sexist. As an American, I do have to admit that I find it very odd that essentially the state can force girls and young women to wear skirts in this day and age. But then I find the whole concept of school uniform a bit odd.

steppemum Tue 10-May-16 22:02:16

dd1 only ever wears trousers
dd2 pretty much only ever wears skirts.

I am not sure why EITHER of them should be discriminated against.

There was a court case a couple of years ago from a boy who wore the 'girl's' skirt from their uniform policy. Interestingly he didn't actually want to wear a skirt, (ie was not trans at all) he was not wanted to 'dress like a girl' he did it purely to challenge the policy because her thought that it was sexist to have only trousers for boys and only skirts for girls.

Can't remember if he won though.
Totally agree with Lass, all schools, trousers or skirts, for boys and girls.

MrsKCastle Tue 10-May-16 22:11:42

I think all schools should stop having any kind of sex/gender differences in their uniforms. Under the heading uniform, it should just say 'Choose from grey trousers/grey skirt/tartan kilt etc.

I also don't buy into the argument that trousers are inherently more practical than skirts. I think skirts and dresses are great, especially in the summer when they're loose and cool. Both of my girls prefer not to wear trousers and I sometimes get the sense that they're looked down on for choosing 'girly' things.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 10-May-16 22:13:31

You again on this topic Lass... Gah Sorry I don't recognise your username? Have you and I debated this before?

And everyone else is free to push their point of view? Including the "trousers are so much more practical " despite the fact you will be wearing the same clothing winter and summer no matter what the weather is?

PalmerViolet Wed 11-May-16 13:04:57

Apart from the shorts in the summer of course grin

Maybe you'd be happier to have the unisex uniform all skirts? Given how jolly practical they are, I'm sure the boys would be perfectly happy to wear them.

deydododatdodontdeydo Wed 11-May-16 13:45:39

Which schools allow shorts in summer?
Maybe some do, but none that I've heard of (apart from a few schools where shorts are required summer and winter grin ).

SenecaFalls Wed 11-May-16 13:49:23

Shorts are allowed all year round for boys and girls in the schools near me. But I live in Florida.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now