MRAs on radio 4

(25 Posts)
MoonriseKingdom Wed 09-Mar-16 11:39:27

For anyone interested there was a documentary on radio 4 today (1100) called out of the ordinary: the red pill. It is about men's rights activists. Worth a listen on catch up although I will warn you some the views are v offensive.

hedgehogsdontbite Wed 09-Mar-16 14:15:20

shock Oh my word, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. 'Bitter' doesn't do them justice.

glowfrog Wed 09-Mar-16 14:15:39

Thanks, will check out.

MoonriseKingdom Wed 09-Mar-16 15:44:34

Several of them just seem inadequate and trying to find (spurious) reasons why their life didn't go as they may have wanted. Some, however, seemed down right nasty misogynists. I notice that in all the talk of women running everything there was no mention of the under representation of women in boardrooms and high levels of government.

The end was particularly ridiculous to me because I am happily married but have always earned more than my husband. Apparently an impossible feat according to the man being interviewed. My parents are also in the same position and are still married.

hedgehogsdontbite Wed 09-Mar-16 15:50:33

The one that struck me was the guy proudly explaining how he works just enough minimum wage hours to support himself and that his system meant his ex didn't get a penny out of him. Give the guy a medal for his awesomeness at outwitting her. Except he'd only have to give her money if she was raising his child. So he's gloating on national radio that he pays fuck all to support his child.

grimbletart Wed 09-Mar-16 17:05:01

Oh dear. Once I realised that the first interview was Mike Buchanan, I realised that it would start by plumbing the intellectual depths - then fall further. grin

What a bunch of saddo losers.

But think positive. If they are all going to become MGTOWs as they claim, they are removing their genetic contributions from the gene pool. Result!

glowfrog Wed 09-Mar-16 17:05:42

I thought they were hilarious. The very definition of losers. Though probably many have serious social interaction problems and should most definitely be pitied than anything else. Would have been more interesting to hear from less extreme people like Milo Yannapoulos (though I find him quite loathsome).

MoonriseKingdom Wed 09-Mar-16 17:32:16

Some of you are obviously familiar with people mentioned and their views. I had heard MRAs mentioned on here (and occasionally popping up on threads) but didn't know the extent of their views so was listening in the car like this shock !

OddBoots Wed 09-Mar-16 17:35:48

I wonder if this will give them a chance to listen back and realise what dicks they sound - probably not.

grimbletart Wed 09-Mar-16 17:36:36

Moonrise: most were simply projecting their failure with an individual woman on to all women everywhere - and us bilious feminists in particular. grin

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 09-Mar-16 17:36:37

I had the same face on moon
It'd be a hilarious parody but it was somewhere between baffling and tragic.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 09-Mar-16 20:09:13

I caught bits of this (annoyingly work got in the way).

I just felt sorry for them. As grimble says no great loss to the gene pool.

partialderivative Thu 10-Mar-16 22:40:12

Did they actually have any points in their message that could easily be argued down?

I didn't hear the article, so can't really comment.

Meeep Thu 10-Mar-16 23:13:02

I heard half and it was fascinating. Also scary.
Also, depressing.

glowfrog Thu 10-Mar-16 23:33:23

Everything they came out with could be easily argued down. The worst bit was one particular MRA basically saying cot death is an excuse women use to kill their babies.

Another guy thinks that men have a worst deal always - take Afghanistan. Would you rather be a woman and controlled by men and subject to abuse, or a man? Well, a woman, obviously, because poor ickle Afghan men have to do all the providing and then they are the ones who fight and get killed.

You set up this culture, you fucking morons.

MoonriseKingdom Fri 11-Mar-16 08:17:48

In the list of the woes of men there were many things that were actually the negative side for men of living in a patriarchal society rather than the fault of feminism.

Lots of men die fighting in wars - well it's not women starting wars, invading countries or running dictatorships. Also female citizens in war zones do very badly what with rape and forced marriages.

Higher suicide rate - this is very sad and does need addressing. However, the barrier to men seeking help is often not wanting to discuss emotion or appear weak. This comes from patriarchal notions of 'manliness'. Also feminism is not responsible for the systematic underfunding of mental health services.

turoide Fri 11-Mar-16 10:56:25

I haven't heard about a Men's Right Activist before. Why do you all act as if it's a bad thing if anything it's a good thing if men are trying to do something about male suicide/prostate cancer funding.

I know we say feminism is about equality but in reality it's not really it's actually just about women's issues and women's issues only.

slugseatlettuce Fri 11-Mar-16 11:39:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoonriseKingdom Fri 11-Mar-16 11:47:18

I think male suicide and prostate cancer are very worthy of campaigning. I have a brother with a very serious mental health condition who has had several psychiatric inpatient admissions. I work in health care myself and I my job is made much harder by the extremely poor funding of mental health care services. I am well aware that men often present late with symptoms of cancer because they are too embarrassed/ don't want to make a fuss sand many other reasons. I think campaigns like Movember are a great idea.

But the problem with the MRAs is they claim feminism is reason for these problems. If only women knew their place these things wouldn't happen! If they stuck to campaigning and fund raising for worthy causes it would be no issue to me.

grimbletart Fri 11-Mar-16 12:33:15

But the problem with the MRAs is they claim feminism is reason for these problems.

What's more many of them think it is feminism/women's job to fix them.
Campaigning for help for would-be suicides, for men with prostate cancer, men who suffer violence etc. is brilliant (and you know what, there are many women concerned enough about their male loved ones to be doing just that), but bugger MRAs who blame feminism for their own ills and their own inadequacies.

glowfrog Fri 11-Mar-16 12:48:42

What's more many of them think it is feminism/women's job to fix them.

Yep - completely missing the irony of putting more crap onto women's shoulders.

On one hand they say men's problems are ignored.

On the other they seem to think it's not up to them to sort them out.

If it's such a big deal, bloody sort it out, then!!!

LastGirlOnTheLeft Fri 11-Mar-16 13:54:54

So turoide feminism is bad because it focuses on women's issues but MRAs are good because they focus on men's issues? Is that what you are saying?

glowfrog Fri 11-Mar-16 14:08:34

^^ LOLZ.

PalmerViolet Fri 11-Mar-16 14:42:39

I haven't heard about a Men's Right Activist before.

Right you are, Ted.

bullshit

antimatter Fri 11-Mar-16 15:21:39

turoide this is your first post here
what made you to join this conversation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now