Are these examples of everyday sexism?

(9 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Sun 06-Mar-16 14:55:56

I feel as though as I'm getting older I see little bits of sexism all the time, but do wonder if I'm just reading into things.

One example, I've noticed that a few times we've given fil a lift (dh and I), fil has automatically jumped into the front of our car. So dh driving and me in the back. Dh says it's a size thing, but his df isn't exactly giant. So the next time dh made a point of saying to me "you can sit in the front if you want to", as though I need permission.

Other things like if dh or bil make the teas and coffees, or help clear up. Everyone pipes up saying "oh you're good aren't you".

My absolute pet hate, that a man doing household chores is helping the woman. I get that one a lot, people asking if dh helps me.

I almost wish that I didn't notice these things.

Siolence Sun 06-Mar-16 14:58:51

Ha! My ex FIL tried that on with me, where if he was driving Ex H and I sat in the back with MIL in the front. Amazingly if I was driving no one expected EX H to sit in the back.

Drives me potty, all of it. I've turned into a harpy.

BarefootAcrossHotLegoPieces Sun 06-Mar-16 16:43:52

Yeah, YANBU on the car sitting thing!

LilacSpunkMonkey Sun 06-Mar-16 16:50:06

Today a friend posted on Facebook 'Happy Mothers Day to all my Mummy friends and also the Dad's, especially the Dad's doing it on their own as they work so hard'.

Well, first, it's Mothers Day. Fathers Day is in June. They do get a day of their own. Secondly, single Dad's work no harder at it than single Mums do but that whole 'oh, he's so brave/amazing' bollocks that gets trotted out is sickening.

Worst thing is, my friend is a single Mum herself yet still buys into the 'it'a so hard for single Dad's' crap.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 06-Mar-16 17:01:40

My ex FIL tried that on with me, where if he was driving Ex H and I sat in the back with MIL in the front. Amazingly if I was driving no one expected EX H to sit in the back

I don't follow your point here. In the first scenario the driver's partner is in the front. In the second scenario you are the driver but you say no one expected EX H to sit in the back so exactly the same- the driver's partner is in the front.

Unless there is a huge discrepancy in size, I always sit in the back if my husband is driving and he always sits in the back if I'm driving- the guest, as it were, gets the front seat. If there are 2 passengers plus us I would leave it to them to decide who gets the front seat.

PalmerViolet Sun 06-Mar-16 17:22:07

YANBU on any of it OP.

The giving men cookies for doing things that women are merely expected to do makes me really sad for the women in their lives.

Siolence Sun 06-Mar-16 17:30:59

But if ex H was driving I was supposed to move for FIL. And the guest scenario was never reciprocated. If it was a guest gets in the front - fine. Not a FIL calls shotgun.

NeverEverAnythingEver Mon 07-Mar-16 10:26:36

I detest Mother's Day. It's like being nice to me once a year is good enough. It's like giving a fucking card makes up for all the fucking pointless arguments I have to listen to day in and day out. No. No. No.

(Sorry, not had a nice weekend and not having a nice day.)

quencher Mon 07-Mar-16 10:57:57

Yes op. The car thing is sexist and ageist too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now