How utterly depressing are DV stats

(23 Posts)
Tribblewithoutacause Sun 28-Feb-16 21:25:10

I'm doing research for a project, and have read a few of the WHO reports and one of the 'Everyone's Business' reports that was made recently. They are seriously the most depressing things I've ever read.

One of the stats I read on another website (Living without Abuse) that 400 people a year commit suicide because of DV. Two women a week are murdered by their partners. Women are more at risk of violence in the home than in any other place. One in three assault with injury records are because of domestic violence.

This is reality, and it's utterly, utterly crap.

lynholmerpark Sun 28-Feb-16 21:29:43

And if a woman is pregnant risk of DV is significantly increased.

pastmyduedate0208 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:38:20

Are these global stats? I though the UK/Eurozone was more progressive.

scallopsrgreat Sun 28-Feb-16 23:08:03

That's just the UK I think. In the US the figures are much higher. Gavin de Becker quotes that a woman is killed every 2 hrs by their partner. Which is horrific.

meringue33 Sun 28-Feb-16 23:16:52

One month ago my best friend was murdered by her violent ex partner

scallopsrgreat Sun 28-Feb-16 23:34:12

Oh meringue sad. I'm so sorry x

HairyLittleCarrot Sun 28-Feb-16 23:38:57

oh my god meringue. I'm so, so sorry.

SheldonsSpotOnTheCouch Mon 29-Feb-16 06:43:46

Meringue, I'm so sorry.

Male violence towards women is real issue in our society. The stats never seem to improve. It's very depressing.

And is it really one woman every two hours killed in the US? [Shock]

VestalVirgin Mon 29-Feb-16 09:15:31

Meringue, that's terrible. sad

Women are more at risk of violence in the home than in any other place. One in three assault with injury records are because of domestic violence.

And yet, some newspaper writers bemoan the fact that more women than ever live alone as if it were something bad.

From a safety point of view, it's actually safer than living with a man. Though debatably, living with a woman would be safer in case an expartner from outside the flat attacks.

BeyondBootcampsAgain Mon 29-Feb-16 09:44:42

I'm so sorry meringue. sad

A friend of mine was murdered by her dp. Then he rolled her up in a rug and dumped her in a field. Not just killing her, but violating her body by dumping her like rubbish angry

A man i went to school with dated a friend of my sisters. He murdered her, stabbing her 27 times.

We dont need feminism in the uk though <roll eyes>

VestalVirgin Mon 29-Feb-16 10:07:57

Beyond, that's horrible.

You don't need feminism in the UK, you need a revolution. angry

HairyLittleCarrot Mon 29-Feb-16 16:43:49

Beyond sad awful, so sorry.

I bet far too many of us have stories like this.
When I was young a teacher embarked upon an affair with a student and then he included her in his plan which killed his wife and staged a failed cover up.

sad

Owllady Mon 29-Feb-16 16:49:55

Beyond, that happened to one of my MILs neighbours sad confused he dumped her at the end of the road though of where they lived. Luckily he'll never leave the secure mental hospital he is in, but he's ruined the lives of so many people - not just the life he took sad angry

Beyond and meringue, I'm sorry about your friends flowers

These figures are awful

HairyLittleCarrot Mon 29-Feb-16 16:53:19

kareningalasmith.com/counting-dead-women/

msrisotto Mon 29-Feb-16 17:01:48

God it's just so so sad. I'm sorry to hear about your friends. To be honest, with the rates being so high, I imagine more than a few of us will know of people close to us lost to these murderers.

maybebabybee Mon 29-Feb-16 17:10:30

How long before the "men get abused too" brigade show up I wonder.

meringue flowers

cadnowyllt Mon 29-Feb-16 17:45:24

Men get abused too ?

PalmerViolet Mon 29-Feb-16 18:55:43

Owl, beyond and Meringue, I'm so sorry.

It happened to my best friend's mother, she was bludgeoned to death in her kitchen, wrapped up in a shower curtain and dumped in a river by her lodger and his boyfriend.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 29-Feb-16 19:22:34

My god, such sad stories on here.

Tribble is it a public document that looks at suicide due to DV? I'd like to look at it if possible.

Wizwo Mon 29-Feb-16 20:24:46

DV is so widespread that lot of people will know or know of a woman who has been murdered or seriously injured by an intimate partner - but even then they refuse to join the dots about what that means about patriarchy.

A friend of mine's grandmother was murdered by her partner. My friend, who was a young teenager at the time, witnessed it.

HermioneWeasley Mon 29-Feb-16 20:30:25

It is depressing and you're right, it really doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Tribblewithoutacause Mon 29-Feb-16 22:45:33

Felicia I need to go find that one, I got the stat off of the living without abuse website (but I do need to find academic sources for these things). It's just so ruddy horrid.

meriange I'm so sorry.

emilybrontescorset Sun 06-Mar-16 09:33:21

Disgusting.

Yes it does appear women are much safer without men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now