I just emailed an estate agent about their sexist advert

(14 Posts)
ClaraLane Wed 24-Feb-16 10:24:30

I've just been browsing local houses for sale and spotted this gem: Ideal for MODERN FAMILY living the open plan/living dining room offers the perfect space for the family with a door direct to the kitchen, so mum can see what is going on
I thought they'd appreciate an email pointing out their blatant sexism and how interesting it is that they're pitching the house at modern families whilst reminding us that only mums have to keep an eye on their children hmm.

Bananapanties Wed 24-Feb-16 10:26:27

Good for you!

caravanista Wed 24-Feb-16 10:29:39

Well done! This kind of casual sexism drives me mad.

FetchezLaVache Wed 24-Feb-16 10:29:48

Excellent work! Please let us know if you get a response from them.

FishWithABicycle Wed 24-Feb-16 10:30:44

I can trump that - when we were selling a previous house (without success when the market was slow) we used to get regular mailings from competitor estate agents addressed to "the householder" to tell us that they could do better. These mostly went in the bin like all unsolicited junk mail but I really lost my cool the day that one such mailing arrived addressed to the male householder so that I need not worry my pretty little head about the important Man Things they wanted to communicate.

ClaraLane Wed 24-Feb-16 10:31:38

Thanks! DP seems to think I'm overreacting so now I feel vindicated!

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Wed 24-Feb-16 10:43:02

Thats presumably so she can watch her DH cooking while she sits on the sofa with the remote....

FetchezLaVache Wed 24-Feb-16 10:47:32

Your DP is quite wrong! We all need to challenge this bullshit casual misogyny.

Wondermoomin Wed 24-Feb-16 11:11:33

It's a pretty old fashioned picture to paint when they're trying to promote it as being ideal for modern family living confused

I rarely cook if my husband is home, it's almost always him. I suppose they mean I could watch him hmm

Hovis2001 Wed 24-Feb-16 11:22:20

Argh, this would have annoyed me too - though I probably would have just let it annoy me and not done anything about it, so well done for taking action!

When DH and I were searching for our first rental together we went into one letting agents where, even though I was the one with the notepad and pen and even though I was asking just as much if not more questions than DH, the agent we were speaking to addressed himself almost exclusively to DH and then very deliberately handed his card to DH at the end, bypassing my outstretched hand. hmm

Yeah, they didn't get our custom.

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 24-Feb-16 18:58:05

I would have complained too, it's ridiculous. Hope you get a decent response back from them.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 24-Feb-16 19:02:11

i recently viewed a house with DH and our kids and our youngest DD started crying and DH was walking her around, the estate agent said 'while he's gone I'll show you the utility room, your domain! Lol'

Really?? I should've told him DH does all the washing in our split of the jobs! It really annoyed me.

DrSeussRevived Wed 24-Feb-16 20:10:42

Well done, OP!

I'm also a little hmm that they feel they need to explain what open plan is any more... So, sexist and patronising (or stupid themselves).

I'm shocked at Hovis' and MPP's stories. Hope you told them why they weren't getting your business. Grrr!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now