I just found out that my boyfriend of a year was following a meninist page

(15 Posts)
yanaleavell Fri 29-Jan-16 19:25:35

He told me that it probably happened by accident (I don't know if that's true or not)
Because he didn't apologize until I asked him to, I said that it's like as if I was following a racist page (he's half black), but I wouldn't ever do that because discrimination of any sort is extremely ignorant and hurts so many people
He said that being racist is worth, basically
So does he think that the pain and discrimination women has gone through and are still going through is not as important as that of black people?

NNalreadyinuse Fri 29-Jan-16 19:30:15

I've never heard of meninist. Is it real or a satirical thing?

yanaleavell Fri 29-Jan-16 19:37:23

Meninism is something that men and other ignorant people created in answer to feminism. They basically say that feminists are crazy and that feminists hate men and want to make men inferior
Although there are certain problems that male gender goes through, feminism is not about ignoring those problems but eliminating them and the problems of females
feminism is about gender equality
However, meninists say that feminism is not needed and full of crazy women who just want to be lesbians

NNalreadyinuse Fri 29-Jan-16 20:03:11

I certainly think that women experience as much discrimination in the world as black people and if your boyfriend doesn't think women's rights are important then he isn't the man for you.

HelpfulChap Fri 29-Jan-16 20:10:21

Never heard of it. Sounds ridiculous.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 29-Jan-16 20:15:04

I couldn't respect anyone who subscribed to 'meninist' views.

DrSeussRevived Fri 29-Jan-16 21:51:04

Welcome to MN.

You don't ever have to stay in a relationship with someone you fundamentally disagree with.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 21:57:45

Racism is worse to him because he suffers it. He also suffers from a lack of empathy.

What do you think his views actually are?

yanaleavell Fri 29-Jan-16 22:05:28

It feels to me like he finds me inferior at times, like my thoughts and feelings don't matter, or that his matter more

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:06:11

LTB then. Life's too short.

yanaleavell Fri 29-Jan-16 22:07:59

Also, he says that he agrees that women should have equal rights as men, however he doesn't want to be called a feminist
I feel like that's because he doesn't want to be associated with the movement

DrSeussRevived Fri 29-Jan-16 22:15:45

Lots of people, men and women, prefer not to self-describe as feminist, whatever their beliefs on equality.

But if you believe he thinks he's superior to you, why stick around?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:16:13

he says that he agrees that women should have equal rights as men See to me that is the least possible that a human being could say. A person who was more my cup of tea would also:

Know that this currently wasn't the case
Look at their own privilege
Not look up or follow sexist drivel

NNalreadyinuse Fri 29-Jan-16 22:19:59

The term feminist has had a bad rep associated with it. I don't know why because all it means is that you believe in equality of opportunity for both sexes. If you think men and women should be treated equally then you are a feminist, whether you like the label or not!

However, your bf just sounds like a twat. All very well saying he believes in equality but you need to start judging him by what he does, rather than what he says. If he doesn't treat you as equal to him, then he diesn't believe in equality. You can do better, frankly. So ltb.

sausageeggbacon111 Sat 30-Jan-16 10:46:18

If you feel he doesn't respect you LTB. If you have a problem with a man being interested in men's rights it would depend on what the issues he is interested in. Men's health, male suicide rates and stranger violence are all things men should be interested in and these are what about the Menz issues where I often read it is something men should be dealing with rather than trying to derail feminism. If it is not derailing feminism but dealing with issues we don't worry about then I am less likely to worry about it. DS1 is interested as a friend of his committed suicide and Menist/MRA sites are much more likely to discuss the issue. I am not going to challenge him on this as he has proven he doesn't believe in VAWG after his girlfriend assaulted him and he just took it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now