erasing women - a good idea?

(8 Posts)
PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 11-Jan-16 09:54:22

ok this is just a thought experiment (translation might be total rubbish)
if trans did erase women as a class, and you couldn't tell women from men by simply looking, would all people who loooked woman be discriminated against or because they couldn't see who was who they would give up?

Dragonsdaughter Tue 12-Jan-16 12:17:22

What?

parachutesilk Tue 12-Jan-16 14:25:30

I don't think trans ideas at the moment will do this as they seem to be all about rigidly reinforcing a gender binary that depends on corresponding markers of names, pronouns, hair, clothing and so on.

I wonder if large numbers of people who say they are 'nonbinary' and want to use a mixed bag of identifiers (names, pronouns, clothing, hair and so on) might eventually likely to lead to that type of change, though? In a way, that moves us towards something I'd see feminism as wanting - a time when physical sex (while still, importantly, being nameable, via 'man' and 'woman') is irrelevant for most things in life, and only noticed when truly relevant and even sometimes requiring a polite direct enquiry rather than the reading of dress codes. It would however depend on the people who label themselves 'nonbinary' not being seen as special snowflakes cases.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 12-Jan-16 14:36:49

You can't tell who's gay just by looking but there's still homophobia.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 12-Jan-16 16:15:57

Very good point countess.

slugseatlettuce Tue 12-Jan-16 19:59:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertrandRussell Tue 12-Jan-16 20:02:01

Interesting that nobody's suggesting erasing men.....

RufusTheReindeer Tue 12-Jan-16 20:06:41

bertrand

Someone would take that as a threat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now