Feminism in London conference

(19 Posts)
LauraMipsum Fri 14-Aug-15 16:07:47

I think the papers call this an "infomercial" grin

I know there's usually a MN contingent going - it's over two days this year, 24-25 October. 40 panels, 150 speakers, children's workshops for 7-11 year olds, a creche, teen workshops, a film room, networking room and chill out area, plus a big feminist party on the Saturday night. Children up to and including the age of 11 go free including to the children's workshops.

The fantastic speakers include Shami Chakrabarti, Nawal El Saadawi, Max Daschu, Sophie Walker from the Women's Equality Party, Gudrun Schyman who started the first feminist political party, Rachel Moran, Beatrix Campbell, Felicity Gerry QC and dozens more.

For those who have come to feminism specifically through parenting you might be particularly interested in the panel on human rights in childbirth, the feminist parenting discussion, the "men as carers" panel and the panel on the value of women's unpaid work chaired by Mothers At Home Matter.

And of course considering the outrageous prices of everything else in London, this is a remarkably good value way to spend a half-term weekend if you are bringing children!

Hope to see some of you there: www.feminisminlondon.co.uk

LovelyFriend Wed 19-Aug-15 10:16:39

I'm going. My first ever feminist event (beyond some marches). smile

I've booked for both days and the party, but I don't know anyone else going so it would be great to link up with some MN'ers there.

I'm quite excited.

Perpendiculous Wed 19-Aug-15 10:23:42

If you go to this type of thing do you have to talk to anyone, or can be antisocial (my preferred state)?

LauraMipsum Wed 19-Aug-15 13:40:34

Talking is not compulsory. There are even special quiet don't-talk-to-me rooms for the seriously antisocial.

For the social butterflies there's a networking room too.

Lovely I'm sure there will be other MNers there, but lots of people make new friends there too! Looking forward to seeing you there smile

LovelyFriend Wed 19-Aug-15 16:40:58

There are even special quiet don't-talk-to-me rooms for the seriously antisocial.

Love it! Though I am aiming to leave at least some of my introversion at the door and hopefully meet new lovely people, it's good to know that there are escape options if needed

BakingCookiesAndShit Wed 19-Aug-15 19:53:20

Next year, I'll be there with bells on. This year, I'll be poor and have nowhere to stay.

Will there be podcasts of the speakers?

LauraMipsum Thu 20-Aug-15 11:35:25

Don't know about podcasts yet.... it's on the "hopefully" list.

Heckler Wed 26-Aug-15 09:52:21

Baking - come stay with me. I'll put you up.

Heckler Wed 26-Aug-15 09:53:50

And yes, I will be at the event this year. I've been for the last two, and it was great.

contortionist Sat 29-Aug-15 08:59:34

Does anyone have any experience / feedback of the male allies track? Is it worthwhile attending, or does it feel very peripheral?

YonicScrewdriver Sat 29-Aug-15 09:23:02

Ooh, maybe.

Heckler Sun 30-Aug-15 08:00:02

Yonic do it, do it, do it.

I insist.

YonicScrewdriver Sun 30-Aug-15 08:58:08

It'll depend on DH's half term plan for the younglings, Heckler grin

LauraMipsum Fri 04-Sep-15 18:39:33

Younglings and indeed DHs are welcome! grin

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-15 20:03:17

Oh, I've been to one of these - won't make this year's unfortunately, but it was FAB. Really worth doing. Enjoy (slightly envy!)

If anybody knows when they usually announce the dates, I'd like to try and book myself up for next year smile

LauraMipsum Sat 12-Sep-15 22:20:39

Next year is 29-30 October 2016, Bertie!

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-15 23:34:09

Oh brill! smile Then I shall see what I can do!

LauraMipsum Tue 13-Oct-15 20:25:15

Just a quick heads up for those who aren't on FB / twitter - anyone who gets a ticket before the end of tonight, stands a chance of winning 2 free tickets to next year's conference.

LovelyFriend Wed 21-Oct-15 13:51:39

it's THIS weekend! I'm quite excited!
They are selling tickets online until Friday midday, then door sales on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now