Anyone joining the Women's Equality Party as a founding member?

(17 Posts)
ToGrapefruit Sun 05-Jul-15 20:44:37

The Women's Equality Party are now open for people to join as 'founding members' (if you join before October).

I am strongly considering it, and wondered if anyone else has thought about it/ joined?

I read a mumsnet guest post and following thread about the WEP a couple of months back, and it didn't fill me with much hope and confidence as the thread of comments descended into insults and some issues were not dwelt on enough, but I've re-thought about it, and feel I might join now.

I'd love to read anyone's opinion or thoughts on it,

and also any suggestions of how you think it could be made 'good' or effective at tackling inequalities in society.

AnathemaPratchett Sun 05-Jul-15 20:45:18

Mulling it over...

ToGrapefruit Sun 05-Jul-15 20:46:41

BTW, Here's the initial guest post and subsequent thread I mentioned in my OP.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/guest_posts/2356808-Guest-post-Weve-set-up-The-Womens-Equality-Party-and-we-need-you

(Also they have a new website if you google them, and they're on FB and twitter.)

YonicScrewdriver Sun 05-Jul-15 21:03:16

I'm not thrilled so far with what I've heard but then maybe I should be on the inside mKing change not outside critiquing. I will have a think.

CoogerAndDark Sun 05-Jul-15 21:06:03

The tiers of membership according to how much you can afford to contribute are a bit off putting tbh.

ToGrapefruit Sun 05-Jul-15 21:17:05

Yes, Yonic, I feel the same.

I think I want to be in it to try and help make it something good now.

Cooger, yes the membership scale is a bit odd. I read a thing that one of the members put on FB about this, they said it's like a crowd funded thing at the moment, and that they want to hear what people have to say about this whole issue, so that pleased me. I'd be joining at the lowest tier! £2 a month, so I'd not be getting anything fancy, but that's OK with me. And I'd still get entered into the draw for the 'Founders Dinner'!!

this is a huge draw for me, shamelessly eager to meet Sandi!

CoogerAndDark Sun 05-Jul-15 21:19:26

It was the hey, it's me, Stella Duffy, replying personally! in that bit that Irritated me. Seems very Name driven atm.

ToGrapefruit Sun 05-Jul-15 22:38:35

IKWYM Cooger.

I'm off to bed now, but shall be back to the thread tomorrow smile

InnocentWhenYouDream Mon 06-Jul-15 14:03:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToGrapefruit Mon 06-Jul-15 16:25:20

Hello, that's great to hear Innocent!

I think I will join. Would love to hear more views though generally.

I wonder if I should put a thread in Chat for traffic?

rogueantimatter Tue 07-Jul-15 11:53:05

Also considering joining despite not usually being politically active.

ToGrapefruit Wed 08-Jul-15 22:35:54

Joined. Very excited! And there's a webchat with Sandi Toksvig on Friday, so that's good too.

Lio Sun 12-Jul-15 20:32:07

I have joined.

avocadotoast Sun 12-Jul-15 20:46:33

Hmm, I really dislike the Kickstarter-style contribution scale. I know they can't invite everyone to a Founders' Dinner, but it does not seem very inclusive to me!

maybemyrtle Tue 28-Jul-15 16:41:51

Sorry I know this is an old-ish post but I have just found out that there's a local branch to me, so I've been looking at their website, FB etc.

I can't work out why they've set up as a political party rather than a campaigning organisation, and how (if?) they're different from eg the Fawcett Society. I'm genuinely interested, can anyone help or point me to something more substantial than their website?

Turtletea Tue 28-Jul-15 17:08:43

I wish it was called the equality party instead of the women's equality party. It seems so divisive at the moment.

maybemyrtle Tue 28-Jul-15 18:09:20

Yes I agree with that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now