just been sent a link to this, do you think it defines feminism?

(9 Posts)
sashh Tue 23-Jun-15 09:10:11

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/22/bridget-christie-feminists-sex-men-book-extract

PuffinsAreFictitious Tue 23-Jun-15 09:30:48

I liked it, it pokes fun at the endless boring strawmen that are trotted out by ignorant people every time feminism is discussed and what seem to be deep seated beliefs about What Feminists Believe settled in some women's minds as well.

Is it a definition of feminism? Nope.

SanityClause Tue 23-Jun-15 09:54:03

I can't be a feminist, because I thought it was hilariously funny, and according to the extract, feminist don't find anything funny. wink

Also, I'm shocked that Ban Ki-Moon doesn't Hoover the carpets! shock But maybe they have wood floors? [ponders]

PuffinsAreFictitious Tue 23-Jun-15 10:47:28

Sorry, actually sounded like the humourless feminist there.

I've read it a few more times now, and it's really funny, but has a serious undertone to it.

I'm also beginning to think that the uncomfortableness (and yes, that is a word!) of bras is a small feminist issue. Some of the bloody things actually deserve burning, wooden boardwalk or no.

WoTmania Tue 23-Jun-15 15:27:58

I haven't read the book but read the extract this morning. I heard her series on R4 though and she is a brilliant comedian and made very effective points about feminism.

thatstoast Tue 23-Jun-15 20:06:27

Just taken my bra off so I can read this thread in comfort. I won't burn it. Yet.

I thought it perfectly captured what being a feminist is all about.

Bertrand Russell mentioned on another thread that they spoke to Bridget Christie and now I'm not sure whether she meant the actual Bridget Christie or someone with that user name. I'm pretty confident that Bertrand Russell isn't the real one, as he's dead.

soapboxqueen Wed 24-Jun-15 00:32:14

That really made me laughgrin

Damn it blush

I'm going to have leave now aren't I?

<hands in feminist ID badge. Gets coat >

InnocentWhenYouDream Wed 24-Jun-15 15:43:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LassUnparalleled Thu 25-Jun-15 09:59:03

I can't be a feminist, because I thought it was hilariously funny

I must be one then as I thpight it was as unfunny as anything else I've heard from Bridget Christie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now