A book for a dad of a one year old son

(16 Posts)
BrightSunshineyDay Tue 09-Jun-15 11:56:37

Hi can anyone recommend a good book for the father of our one year old son please?

IhadsexwithanelfinIceland Tue 09-Jun-15 11:58:44

What kind of book?

AvocadoLime Tue 09-Jun-15 12:03:26

I think you need to give more information, OP!

BrightSunshineyDay Tue 09-Jun-15 12:13:49

Oops sorry my phone died!
Ds dad is very traditional in his thoughts with regards to roles/presents/upbringing but when I try to discuss things with him I feel he doesn't take on board what I am saying merely because it is me saying it. He regards himself as progressive but his actions say otherwise.
Just wondered if there was a 'gentle' introduction type of book that he could read that would make him think about automatic choices he makes with regard to our son?

BrightSunshineyDay Tue 09-Jun-15 12:15:29

I really gope that makes sense. I've had 2 hours sleep last night and a ridiculous row with him re boys only toys

BrightSunshineyDay Tue 09-Jun-15 12:17:32

Oh and we are not together.

scallopsrgreat Tue 09-Jun-15 12:56:42

I am relieved to hear you aren't together grin.

Cordelia Fine "Delusions of Gender" might be good? Especially if he likes a bit of science with his theories.

BrightSunshineyDay Tue 09-Jun-15 13:10:11

Thankyou! Ds is my 3rd son - I've managed to raise my other 2 boys (& daughter) quite well I.think but on this I fear a battle! Really don't want it to be.

scallopsrgreat Tue 09-Jun-15 13:13:49

The other thing I was thinking about was the Let toys be toys campaign. I don't know if they have any literature as such but it might be something to point him at for ideas or reasons why its a good idea to let kids play with a whole range of toys.

BreakingDad77 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:08:37

Commando dad is good as its written by an ex army guy!

messyisthenewtidy Tue 09-Jun-15 20:47:25

Achilles Heel is good.

Keepithidden Wed 10-Jun-15 07:54:00

I found The Equality Illusion, by Kat Banyard really good for opening my eyes to Feminism.

00100001 Wed 10-Jun-15 07:56:19

What makes you think he will read it??

PuffinsAreFictitious Wed 10-Jun-15 09:40:48

If she doesn't try, he definitely won't though, will he numbers?

00100001 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:03:21

true

BrightSunshineyDay Wed 10-Jun-15 10:27:45

Thankyou for all your suggestions. I told him about the books and sent him a link to the let toys be toys website. Just recieved this response from him
'I've had a good look at he link.totally see your point now.I don't feel I was sexist in my thinking before...gender targeted marketing wasn't something I'd even payed much attention to.now I see how powerful an influence it is and how limiting to boys and girls.I'm sorry about how we got here but at least we got here.it is important and thank you for bringing it up'
So he has recieved the recommendations well and hopefully will follow through.
Thanks again! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now