Friendly sexism

(7 Posts)
780539gjg Sat 16-May-15 18:57:55

Does anyone have strategies for dealing with this? For example, I'm shopping with my dd and she whines. Shopkeeper says, "but girls are meant to love shopping". Comments about little girls "making eyes", "flirting" etc. There is one particular old bloke on the counter at my local supermarket. Every time we're there he makes a comment. The latest one was in relation to my dd playing with some coins: "all you women are the same, you all like shiny things" (like magpies?!)

He just thinks he's making small-talk. He doesn't mean to be rude or belittling, although that's how it feels to me. I've tried just smiling blandly, but that makes me feel like I'm agreeing. How can I challenge this without ruining the atmosphere?

ItsAllKickingOffPru Sat 16-May-15 19:08:33

"Oh, I don't believe in all that women are/men are rubbish!" and a little laugh and smile.
They might be nonplussed but it doesn't come across as particularly rude.

YonicScrewdriver Sat 16-May-15 19:35:23

Good one Pru.

780539gjg Sat 16-May-15 19:42:50

Brilliant pru I'll give it a go.

NotReallyAPrincess Sat 16-May-15 19:52:57

Yes you can make the point but still keep it light. 'Oh that's just rubbish, you don't believe that do you?!' And repeat forever until they get it. <years of practice with FIL>

kickassangel Sat 16-May-15 23:31:09

"Oh, I think plenty of boys/men like money (or whatever) as well."

whatdoesittake48 Sun 17-May-15 00:14:02

Say "boys love those kinds of things these days" makes t the point that you think he is old fashioned but not in a nasty way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now