OXO Cubes Advert - Everyday sexism

(42 Posts)
ImGoingForATwix Tue 11-Nov-14 12:03:28

There's an OXO advert on at the moment with Jenni Falconer and a mum cooking soup using oxo cubes. The slogan at the end is something along the lines of "mums choose oxo".

What about dads? Or families where woman aren't the household skivvy/cook?

This everyday sexism really gets on my nerves so i've complained to the ASA. (Please feel free to join me in doing the same if it outrages you too - you can complain online). It was on during This Morning on ITV at approx 11.40am.

Here's a link to it www.youtube.com/watch?v=keKbfTlVN44

ImGoingForATwix Tue 11-Nov-14 12:06:21

where women

elQuintoConyo Tue 11-Nov-14 12:31:08

I agree, It's just lazy and shit.

And DH is in charge of the gravy I our house. DS (age 3) also helps cook by putting the oven chips on the tray for us and sticking his pre-licked fingers in cake batter I cannot abide lazy men.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 13:01:01

Or how about if you don't have children? I hate all that 'mums do X' shitty, lazy marketing too.

FuckOffGerbil Tue 11-Nov-14 13:11:35

I get pissed off that "mums" go to Iceland when it's a z-list female sleb.... . But "pete" go to Iceland not dads. WHy is that? He's got loads of fucking kids.

almondcakes Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:48

It is an advert where one woman cooks soup for herself and another woman. They then both sit down and eat it together, enjoying each other's company with no kids or men around. One of the women does say she has kids and her kids enjoy this too.

ImGoingForATwix Tue 11-Nov-14 23:15:28

I'm not sure if it's still on the packet but Kellogg's rice crispies used to have instructions for kids on how to serve themselves a bowl of the cereal and it had a line along the lines of "get mum to help". Because, you know, dads are incapable of managing the complexities of cereal pouring.

ImGoingForATwix Tue 11-Nov-14 23:18:39

Also, ASDA put 'approved by mums' on a lot of their food too.

ApocalypseThen Wed 12-Nov-14 06:24:51

I'd be more outraged if the bulk of responsibility for shopping and preparing food didn't fall on women. To be honest, I don't think there's much wrong with advertisers targeting the section of the audience most likely to purchase the product.

Stealthpolarbear Wed 12-Nov-14 06:26:43

Why would you be more outraged if that was the case?

Stealthpolarbear Wed 12-Nov-14 06:27:35

Oh hang on I get it smile and agree

I read that as you'd be really angry if 'dads' had to do the bulk of shopping and cooking grin

ImGoingForATwix Wed 12-Nov-14 10:10:44

I understand why the advertisers do it but I think this everyday sexism annoys me more than the big one off things that get the headlines. We don't even notice it half the time. Anyway, back to feeling less outraged today and more "meh". What can be done? Not much.

ApocalypseThen Wed 12-Nov-14 10:18:14

You're missing the real sexism though, which is that women are largely responsible for planning, shopping and preparing meals. That reality is the actual sexism, acknowledging it isn't.

ApocalypseThen Wed 12-Nov-14 10:19:24

As to what can be done? Men can do their fair share. When they do, crappy stock will be marketed to them, too.

BreakingDad77 Wed 12-Nov-14 11:00:43

Im getting irritated by the 'biggest balls' theme at the moment, the bingo advert with barbara windsor and Capital radio advert going on about having the biggest ball.

ImGoingForATwix Wed 12-Nov-14 22:40:26

You're right Apocalypse, but isn't the fact that men behave like that perpetuated by our culture; advertising being a major part of that (amongst many other things I know). I think the advertisers could do more.

ApocalypseThen Thu 13-Nov-14 13:27:25

Possibly, but they're not being sexist towards men by noting the reality of their indolence and dependence in these matters. We could all fervently hope for better, but I would say that the makers and sellers of cheap stock for bulk meals aren't the primary cause here.

growingegg Thu 13-Nov-14 15:52:38

It's no different to "mumsnet: by parents for parents". I don't see how you can campaign against one while actively supporting the other.

Dotheayotollah Thu 13-Nov-14 23:25:29

" Feminism is not about strong women demanding equality. Feminism is about weak, insecure women who can’t handle equality."
Couldn't have put it more perfectly myself smile

ImGoingForATwix Thu 13-Nov-14 23:37:38

It's completely different to mumsnet. Mumsnet was set up as a parenting forum!

Dotheayotollah Fri 14-Nov-14 00:20:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 14-Nov-14 00:29:56

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good joke, dothe.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 14-Nov-14 00:31:01

Sounds annoying, BD77.

Dotheayotollah Fri 14-Nov-14 00:36:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Whiskwarrior Fri 14-Nov-14 00:39:37

How do you know who has kids and who doesn't?!?

By the way, you're a twat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now