Wimbledon equal prizes

(34 Posts)
ILoveHummus Fri 08-Aug-14 14:48:52

Wimbledon has had equal prizes for both men and women for quite a few years now. The combined total this year was £25 million. That is a lot of money. However, there are many other less popular competitions during the tournament that get very little prize money when compared.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wimbledon_Championships#Prize_money

The reason that happens is because they are far less popular. But at the same time , the ladies' single competition is also far less popular than the gentlemen's. The popularity, tv ratings are far higher for men and so are the ticket prices. So my proposal is this : separate every tiny bit of income each competition brings ( anything from tickets, tv rights, sponsors to strawberries and Evian bottles) then pay the prizes accordingly .

Sport is an industry based on performance and popularity. If you were working in sales and did 5 times better than the person sitting next to you, getting the same bonus at the end of the year wouldn't be very fun, would it?

TheSameBoat Fri 08-Aug-14 15:05:09

It's like Deja Vu.

My proposal is to lengthen the women's to 5 sets. Like the WTA asked.

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 15:09:13

I love hummus. And taramasalata. Not so keen on tomato salsa though.

How about you, SameBoat?

grin

PetulaGordino Fri 08-Aug-14 15:10:23

taramasalata makes me think of dinnerladies and celia imrie

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 15:11:50

Baba ganoush is the cat's ovaries, though.

msrisotto Fri 08-Aug-14 15:12:33

You know what really bugs me though ABland? When they make 'red pepper' or 'caramelised onion' hummus erc - It's not feckin hummus!

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 15:14:56

Ah but have you tried hummus Brothers cafés? The one with the mushrooms? That is awesome!

<London centric post, sorry>

CaptChaos Fri 08-Aug-14 15:20:00

I'm not keen on Taramasalata.

I really like hummus though. I enjoyed it loads when I was in the middle east. With pitta breads.

Did you know they served 12,000 kg of poached and smoked salmon this year during the competition? The figures aren't clear for the amount of delicious dips they sold, but I would imagine it was several shitloads shitload being the SI unit for hummus sales, natch

Why do you not like tomato salsa, ABland? It is the lumps?

PetulaGordino Fri 08-Aug-14 15:23:01

i don't like hummus, or any pulse-based foods generally

(i'll see myself out)

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 15:31:26

I think it's the Dorito-ey, passata-y taste that I don't like. Maybe fresh stuff would be OK.

CaptChaos Fri 08-Aug-14 15:35:40

I make a lovely salsa with tomato and lime. Goes down a storm at BBQs.

nom nom nom.

Terrierterror Fri 08-Aug-14 15:44:52

Waitrose spinach falafel are my favourite chick-pea-full food at the moment.

CKDexterHaven Fri 08-Aug-14 15:59:41

I tried a wasabi-based dip recently. It was like I'd poured TCP down my nostrils.

PetulaGordino Fri 08-Aug-14 16:01:18

i bought wasabi chocolate once

don't do that

CaptChaos Fri 08-Aug-14 16:04:14

Can't be as thoroughly nasty as Marmite chocolate.

And I bloody love Marmite!

PetulaGordino Fri 08-Aug-14 16:05:52

haha i bought that marmite chocolate for a secret santa present last year (presents were supposed to be naff/weird). it got left on the table in the restaurant iirc

scallopsrgreat Fri 08-Aug-14 17:39:07

I lurve Taramasalata. Sadly DH doesn't. We are a Taramasalata free house sad

Chocolate marmite sounds about as appetising as a Baileys/Pernod combo.

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 18:07:43

Where do we stand on chocolate philly?

PetulaGordino Fri 08-Aug-14 18:15:55

blandy

get out -->

CaptChaos Fri 08-Aug-14 18:35:53

Ummmmm, I liked the Milka stuff in Germany.... not tried the UK version though.

ABlandAndDeadlyCourtesy Fri 08-Aug-14 18:38:54

<stands outside the door with big tub of chocolatey cream cheese goodness. And a spoon.>

TiggyD Fri 08-Aug-14 18:43:09

Taramasalata makes me think of giant Greek spiders.

"Ooh! Look in that tank! It's one of those bird eating taramasalatas you get in Greece!"

StackladysMorphicResonator Fri 08-Aug-14 18:43:15

Milka cream cheese?? <drools> I need it IMMEDIATELY.

CKDexterHaven Fri 08-Aug-14 19:38:03

Why did they ever stop selling the Crispy Yoghurt Milka Bars? They were my absolute fave.

TheSameBoat Fri 08-Aug-14 19:59:30

Petula, you were one of my favourite posters till the anti-pulses comment! I mean really! Not ALL pulses are the same you know...shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now