DV and the World Cup

(23 Posts)
kim147 Sat 14-Jun-14 20:44:53

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/police-prepare-for-increase-in-domestic-violence-cases-during-englands-world-cup-matches-9537345.html

Happened in the last Euro games. An increase in DV linked to big games.

According to the study published this week by Lancaster University, it was found that incidents of domestic abuse rose by 38 per cent when the England team played and lost when compared with the days that England did not play.

susiedaisy Sun 15-Jun-14 12:38:52

I was thinking about starting a thread about this so glad to see one already. It's been on my mind how many women and children dreaded last night and today with a World Cup match late on a Saturday night and England lost. Throw in alcohol and I bet it's been awful for some women hmmhmm

mousmous Sun 15-Jun-14 12:45:06

this is so sad. but not surprising the football-fan demographics (grossly stereotyping here).
the amount of sirens during the game last night was mad . and it wasn't even a bad game...

dollius Sun 15-Jun-14 12:45:09

Depressing comments below the article. Women should stay out of men's way during the football season. WTAF?? How about men stop being violent to women???

TwoLeftSocks Sun 15-Jun-14 13:05:33

Sad but not surprising. I wonder if the England team, or any individual players, would ever be up for a bit of awareness raising.

grimbletart Sun 15-Jun-14 14:00:48

Is there something special about football that brings out the knuckle-draggin? Not my sport (prefer the oval ball) but it makes me wonder if there were rugby fans' partners cowering yesterday because the All Blacks beat England 28-27 or whether there were spouses with bruises last year when England were being hit all round the park at cricket…….

StewiesBack Sun 15-Jun-14 14:59:44

It's all sports and other forms of "male bonding" where men make the choice to engage in domestic and sexual abuse but blame it on alcohol or football. My, totally uneducated guess, is that the men who choice to commit abuse know they have a built in excuse with football/ hockey whatever and use it to their advantage. It wasn't their fault you see: it was the footie/ hockey or whatever,

susiedaisy Sun 15-Jun-14 15:56:04

From what I've read it's football in the UK that sees Dv peak the most. But I'm guessing any major sports event could do the same.

CaptChaos Sun 15-Jun-14 21:12:51

Yes, abusive twunts will use any excuse they can think of to be abusive twunts.

I can hear it now.

"England lost, yer honour, so I got tanked up and battered my wife"

Any reason or excuse given for abusive behaviour minimises it. Abusers don't abuse because 11 men couldn't get their act together on a field, they do it because they are abusers.

Football fan demographics probably are the same as violent male demographics in that there are football fans in all social strata in the same way as there are violent men in all social strata.

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:15:50

It's scary. I remember reading the stats in my local area and how much DV went up.

There's an increase in Old Firm games.

www.scotsman.com/news/education/old-firm-and-domestic-violence-link-confirmed-1-3104303

I heard it from my next door neighbours. He got so drunk and angry.

ballsballsballs Sun 15-Jun-14 21:18:27

I think there's something about male bonding, but I suspect it's to do with the amount of boozing that goes on.

3littlefrogs Sun 15-Jun-14 21:23:25

Rugby is a much more family orientated sport.

I remember being shocked at the language and behaviour of my Ds's classmates in PRIMARY school around football. The behaviour of many of the players leaves a lot to be desired. There isn't exactly a culture of respect for women is there.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 15-Jun-14 21:29:24

shock at the comments below the article. It all makes me feel sick. sad

ReallyFuckingFedUp Mon 16-Jun-14 15:13:06
ballsballsballs Mon 16-Jun-14 15:27:24

shock sad

StormyBrid Mon 16-Jun-14 15:56:16

I suspect this is linked to football specifically because that's the national sport. In NZ the amount of DV jumps dramatically linked to the rugby, I seem to recall.

StewiesBack Mon 16-Jun-14 18:45:37

Alcohol doesn't make someone more likely to commit domestic violence. Men who commit DV do so because they choose to - they use the excuse of alcohol so they won't be held responsible for their actions when, really, they are perfectly in control of themselves when they commit DV.

ballsballsballs Mon 16-Jun-14 19:13:54

I agree it doesn't turn nice men into abusers. But it does have a disinhibiting effect, so a man who's verbally abusive might find / use alcohol to take his abuse to the next level.

kim147 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:16:28

Does having a lot to drink and seeing your team lose increase the chances of you abusing your partner that night?

You are an abuser. But only when you're drunk. Alcohol is not an excuse. But how much abuse is carried out when a partner is drunk?

Ledkr Mon 16-Jun-14 19:16:55

I was on a dv course last month with the police and they quoted the figures for this. I was horrified.
I asked the police if they were increasing the staff or hours of the public protection units but they aren't.
It's infuriating that something can have such a massive impact.

Goblinchild Mon 16-Jun-14 19:27:27

So if England get kicked out in the next game, would the instances of violence drop over the rest of the tournament as the knuckle draggers would not have 'Our Lads' to get all hysterical over?
Would they feel as elated and despairing and in need of battering someone if a foreign team lost to another foreign team?
Even primary age football often has a stupid level of nasty behaviour from players and parents. Vile.

Bluebelljumpsoverthemoon Wed 18-Jun-14 22:32:24

Any kind of stress to the body increases the likelihood of violence from those inclined to respond that way. The most diehard fans are watching matches from five in the evening until they finish at four the next morning. That's not healthy for anybody but it's mainly the underemployed/unemployed are going to have the time to waste on that so the fan demographic is already one that experiences higher levels of stress due to financial instability, lower levels of impulse control, lack of discipline and fewer social constraints. Add in the tension of the game, mix alcohol and toxic home environment their squatting is creating for other family members and you've got a pressure cooker they'll explode in.

No matter what they do or don't do with their lives, no functional person would take over the living room, absolve themselves of all responsibilities to spend eleven or so hours a day watching football. When you have a mass of dysfunctional people behaving like this, naturally they'll be a mass outbreak of violence at the same time.

kim147 Thu 19-Jun-14 17:15:43

This video has been released for tonight.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWGMH4mz6A

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now