Why 'feminism' not 'equalism'?

(27 Posts)
TomMartow Fri 13-Jun-14 08:01:45

Is essentially the question dh asked just as I was trying to leave for work &already 10mins late.
I did try to answer but I don't think I did a v good job & it's been annoying me since. What should I have said? He wasn't disagreeing with feminism, but making the point that all people should be equal regardless of any of the attributes that get discriminated against. But I don't agree - obviously I agree all people should be equal - but I think it's right to be a feminist anyway, because I can be one as well as standing for equality in other ways. There's something about the suggestion that bothers me & I'm not sure what it is.

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Fri 13-Jun-14 21:46:18

Hmmm, the 'men as feminists' thing is difficult isn't it. In political activism terms I understand the argument that men should be 'feminist allies'. But in practical dayto-day terms, I'd rather a man was a feminist than not, IYSWIM. I'd rather he said "I'm a feminist" than "I am an equalist" or "I am a humanist" (barf) or "there's no need for any of that these days.

In terms of why not equalism. Because there is structural bias again women in a way there isn't against men. Equalism implies that it is just as bad when men are expected to pay on a first date as the issues women face. And fails to recognise that many of the disadvantages to men (for example in relation to child residence) are outcomes of a patriarchal society and not a separate and equal disadvantage to men- thus treating the symptom and not the disease.

CaptChaos Fri 13-Jun-14 23:21:40

Why not equalism?

Because patriarchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now