Women with opinions

(24 Posts)
ReallyFuckingFedUp Wed 11-Jun-14 15:33:26
BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Wed 11-Jun-14 16:40:38

Cannot believe that charity's tweet.

Also, the tweeter who wants to buy all the copies of her books and burn them hasn't really worked out how she gets paid, have they...?

grimbletart Wed 11-Jun-14 17:17:15

Could be that another reason is that the 'yes' vote is still trailing and they can't hack the thought they might lose.

They sound like a Scottish version of the BNP.

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 11-Jun-14 17:22:27

The charity is claiming their account has been hacked.

I don't see how anyone could imagine that being abusive online is likely to increase their share of the vote.

CaptChaos Wed 11-Jun-14 17:26:03

Wow! The tweet from Dignity was.....

unnecessary?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 11-Jun-14 17:28:53

DISCLAIMER
The Dignity Project
Has had it's Twitter account hacked
We are not responsible for any tweets that have been sent.
As a charity we do not take any political stance and our opinion is people are free to donate to whoever they choose.
To the people who hacked our account if helping African children to thrive and survive including single mums is bad thing that is their problem.

The comments were all unnecessary.

ReallyFuckingFedUp Wed 11-Jun-14 17:50:55

I don't beleive for a second random little charity was hacked to have a go at JK Rowling. I had a look at there twitter account when I posted this, and they had been tweeted all day that they should take it down and his tweets also go to his FB account. There had been previously "Laid back" and non charity related tweets before too (not offensive just moaning about football etc)

People should stop tweeting if they don't realise that they are publishing themselves.

I've seen a great deal of misogyny from the no campaign too.vote no borders has been vile.
I've struggled a bit today on fb with the way some men on friends' timelines have spoken about jk Rowling today

Igneococcus Thu 12-Jun-14 09:17:40

I think those people would have been just as angry if it were a man making that donation. Wasn't there quite a bit of twitter outrage when David Bowie asked Scotland not to leave at the Brits?
I like JK Rowling even more now.

JustTheRightBullets Thu 12-Jun-14 11:31:30

But would they be calling a man a whore? The insults aren't related to her views - most of them are gendered.

Igneococcus Thu 12-Jun-14 12:03:31

I'm not saying the language isn't extremely misogynist but I think the people who write these tweets would be just as angry if a man would have made the donation. It would be quite interesting to see how they would word it if some well known Scottish male would do the same.

grimbletart Thu 12-Jun-14 14:37:07

I think those people would have been just as angry if it were a man making that donation.

I understand the Yes campaign received £3.5m from a couple who won the Euro lottery, making up around 80% of its funding.

Anyone know if they received abuse?

WoTmania Thu 12-Jun-14 16:16:44

That's appalling. The woman-based insults (from mainly men it appears) are disgusting. I suspect that there wouldn't have been the same vitriol if it was a man doing it as men are allowed to have opinions and back them.

LoblollyBoy Thu 12-Jun-14 16:33:23

She absolutely knew what was coming, she's an inspiration.

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 12-Jun-14 20:04:28

Yes, grimbletart, the Weirs received a lot of abuse, mainly about their weight.

OddBoots Thu 12-Jun-14 20:11:37

What a delightful bunch.

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 12-Jun-14 20:21:48

There are delightful people on both sides. This very evening I was accused of being a Nazi, in a very civilised discussion I was having with another yesser (also female) about why some people are so intolerant... confused The Twitter "block" function has it's uses.

ReallyFuckingFedUp Thu 12-Jun-14 21:42:03

* for the record, my OP was not in anyway political...not British and have no opinion one way or another!

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 12-Jun-14 21:48:04

But your link refers to "Scottish Nationalists" (without any evidence whatsoever that the posters listed actually have anything to do with the SNP; yessers come from a broad political span, and not all quoted posters were displaying yes twibbons) and was undoubtedly political. Who made the buzzfeed? Why has there never been one based on eg @BritNatAbuseBot ?

ReallyFuckingFedUp Thu 12-Jun-14 21:55:00

I have no idea Oldlady, it came up on my FB and I was just furious with the nature of the comments. It the posts had been for the other side I would have been just as furious and posted them here too.

I have no idea if buzzfeed has taken a side or if because Rowling is so famous that she just got more attention (I imagine because she's the most famous woman to get involved that most of the abuse has come from that side)

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 12-Jun-14 22:05:58

The thing is, there's a wider context here, not just nasty people calling JKR bad names. I don't expect everyone to be familiar with the ins and outs, and will admit to spending far too much time on Twitter following the whole indyref thing, but Nicola Sturgeon, Deputy First Minister of the Scottish Government, (so, quite well-known) regularly receives tweets using misogynistic abuse, and even death threats. No-one does a buzzfeed about that (I will admit to not knowing how a buzzfeed comes about.)

There has been another "misogynistic" scandal this week, involving a committed Labour party activist (and member of the Shadow Cabinet at Holyrood) being so insulted at being described as, er, a Labour party activist that she practically sobbed on telly. She claimed to have been a victim of online bullying by "cybernats" too, but has produced no evidence. It's part of an ongoing story in the runup to the vote.

ReallyFuckingFedUp Thu 12-Jun-14 22:28:36

JK Rowling is internationally famous. Buzzfeed (which is American) but obviously all over the English speaking internet is very pop culture and people being pissed at Rowling is infinitely more interesting that Nicola Sturgeon.

If anything, I think it is sad that a woman (any woman) getting misogynistic abuse hurled at her isn't in itself news worthy but I still don't think we can't discuss it when the papers do decide it is news worthy unless it is evenly reported on?

I don't think the wider context is necessarily relevant in FWR. We can just discuss the sexism, otherwise it's saying that the sexism in itself isn't important enough?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 12-Jun-14 22:47:54

Yeah, I wanted to avoid suggesting that sexism and misogyny aren't important enough to discuss, esp in this forum. So I'll back out of the convo now.

OOAOML Fri 13-Jun-14 08:12:43

I think it is disgusting on many levels - not just that people are attacked for their views and how they plan to vote in what is a very important debate, but that disagreeing with people is descending to personal insults and threats. And that the default for attacking a women is to descend to misogynistic abuse.

I didn't see any of the online abuse specifically levelled at Clare Lally - what I did see was the comments on Wings Over Scotland which shocked me. Although I'm voting No, I sometimes look at Wings to see what view is on there, and I thought the way he wrote and the incredibly unpleasant way the many commenters wrote (doesn't seem to be any moderation) was vile.

I think this week has not been a good week to be Scottish - clearly there are people on both sides of the debate who have tipped over from passionate debate to abuse. There are a lot of people getting engaged in the debate here who aren't normally politically active, and threatening behaviour (which I admit people on both sides engage in) is such a waste of all the time and energy people are spending on this. We should be discussing how we want to live. Lots of people are watching this debate - we should be able to have it like adults.

Sexism in politics seems so embedded - I haven't seen similar attacks against men (I'm not saying there haven't been insults and attacks, just that the language and the tone is very different).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now