Lego a Science Research Institute

(10 Posts)
BikeRunSki Mon 09-Jun-14 12:39:54

Lego Research Institute

As an engineer (and woman) I am all for positive promotion of scientists, but I don't understand why Lego have made all their scientists women!

I certainly think we need more female Lego characters, but I am not sure that this segregation is very helpful, positive or realistic at all. It seems very lazy on Lego's behalf to "kill two birds with one stone".

I'd prefer a few more women in Lego City.

sleepyhead Mon 09-Jun-14 12:45:13

Hmm. But we wouldn't have blinked if the three figures had all been male. I don't think it would have added to the appeal of the set if one of the figures had been male.

Maybe if it had been 20 figures, but three? It's perfectly plausible that in a random selection of 3 scientists they should all be female.

Mind you, it would be great if, outside of the figures that are actual gendered characters, 50% were male and 50% were female and they just randomly added them to sets.

almondcakes Mon 09-Jun-14 14:05:42

It explains in your link why they are all female and how it relates to female mini figures in general. What about it don't you get?

I will be buying them because they are female scientists. I wouldn't bother buying a male set. We already have hundreds of mini figures, mainly male. All the Hobbit and LOTR stuff is a load of males obviously.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Jun-14 14:17:58

Ok, maybe I should have read it properly blush

EBearhug Mon 09-Jun-14 16:59:58

I'm surprised only 10% of Lego customers were female before Lego Friends came out - I'm sure it would have been higher than that in my childhood (1970s/'80s). Pretty much everyone I knew had Lego, boys and girls.

I want a Lego dinosaur.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Mon 09-Jun-14 17:07:15

EBear, but toy shops have gendered aisles, hardly any "brick kits" are sold and Lego was focused on eg Star Wars kits.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Mon 09-Jun-14 17:09:23

I am slightly pissed off that the answer to boys playing with the outside of the castle and girls wanting to play with interiors was to develop "Lego Friends" not kits that accommodated both.

Used to play unisex Lego with my DBro, me.

almondcakes Mon 09-Jun-14 18:04:42

Most Lego now is bought by adults for themselves. I suspect that most of those adults are men. Is that not why only 10% of Lego was bought for girls.

LoveSardines Mon 09-Jun-14 20:29:33

I like that set. One for the girls for xmas, excellent!

EBearhug Mon 09-Jun-14 21:48:24

toy shops have gendered aisles

Yes, true - I've only been in a toy shop about twice since I was a child myself, so I forget. When I was little, I always headed for the Britain's farm stuff and Hornby sets and Lego and Meccano, I never noticed if they were particularly gendered, though they were separate from the dolls and so on, but I think they were separate sections by genre rather than gender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now