What films should my children watch?

(59 Posts)
OutsSelf Thu 29-May-14 00:13:17

I have a 3.5 year old and we don't watch TV. I do like the idea of him watching films though, but it has to be sufficiently non sexist for me and non violent for DP to both agree to it.

So far we've got My Neighbour Totorro, and that is only passing the minimally sexist bar (pathetic mum, care taker older sister, dodgy old woman figure, etc). AND THAT'S IT!

What can he watch and look forward to? I've accepted that I will have to be patrolling discoursing the sexist stuff because I live in patriarchy but only to a certain extent. Like, fuck princessery and heroic princes, and fuck beauty-is-virtuous stuff.

What do you let your children watch? I'm asking here cos I assume you more or less have my values wrt to gender stereotyping...

OutsSelf Thu 12-Jun-14 09:49:25

Oh, don't worry, I'm just storing it for the future.

Why oh why is there no Sarah and Duck, the movie? I don't want the TV on at all and we have tried watching just videos or copies of okay TV shows but he really struggles to regulate himself - he'd just watch it endlessly all day, but flipping between episodes on a shorter and shorter loop. It seems so unhealthy? Or am I a dinosaur?

WisemansBridge Thu 12-Jun-14 21:42:48

Oh bless him, we have sensitive dc too - we skip the beginning of Nemo, fast forward the stampede in the Lion King..

Someone up thread mentioned Curious George and I'd second that. It's a really lovely film, one of my favourite children's films and there's no danger/death so I'm sure your ds would be okay. Not many females in it unfortunately but there is one who's a teacher and comes across as strong and intelligent and is the voice of reason.

ReallyFuckingFedUp Thu 12-Jun-14 22:15:37

you can also make him a youtube list. I have one for my dd who is also 3.

I search for TV shows that seems safe, and then filter the results to 20 mins plus so as to only get full episodes.

The shows below are from PBS, so educational. I Daniel Tiger teaches children about feelings and emotions. Peg and cat is about Math.

peg + cat

daniel tiger

sid the science kid

OutsSelf Fri 13-Jun-14 15:58:23

We used to do the YouTube videos thing but stopped because he learned to operate it and used it in a really unhealthy way - watch a bit of this, skip, watch something else for a minute, change again... it was like he was going into overload and his behaviour afterward was appalling. Our current compromise is that one day a month he can watch videos. I think as he gets older we'll work proactively on self regulation.

The thing with Nemo is not just the sad start but basically that they are in this terrible situation for.the whole film. He just couldn't bear the ongoing risk and unhappiness. Gorgeous and annoying.

Might look out Curious George next....

gamescompendium Tue 17-Jun-14 23:05:58

Studio Folimage looks promising, it's a French animation studio that does hand drawn animations that seem to include lots of female characters. We've got A Cat in Paris which has 3 main female characters and 3 main male characters so easily passes the Bechdal. But Mia and the Migoo, and Aunt Hilda! (not released in the UK yet) look good as well.

Michel Ocelot's film Kirikou and the Sorceress is suppose to be good as well, and although his other work doesn't seem to have lots of women it does look incredibly gorgeous.

My girls are refusing to watch anything but animations at the moment but there are lots of lovely book adaptions with lots of female characters.

gamescompendium Tue 17-Jun-14 23:08:43

OMG! I didn't realise my link would do that!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Wed 18-Jun-14 10:41:54

My 4 yr old is really sensitive and a lot of films are unsuitable for him as they are too scary.

Our 'staples' are Cars, Cars 2, Planes, Wall-E and any of the Thomas The Tank Engine films.

I don't think there are many female characters in any of these, but there is no real peril either, so they are a winner in this house.

DS also likes Frozen, but we just end up fast forwarding between the songs!

gamescompendium Thu 19-Jun-14 18:09:38

I've seen an interpretation of Wall-E as a non-heteronormative romance which makes it much more interesting to watch.

We have a Cat in Paris as well and DD loves it. Oddly IMO. Studio Ghibli as well. Despicable Me as well.

OK, I want to put a pitch in for My Little Pony and Yo Gabba Gabba. <sigh> I know it's TV and evil and all. My Little Pony, however has great messages. Friendship is Magic, leaders are female, all the ponies work to help each other. Yo Gabba Gabba is very balanced. There is an annoying pink robed female character but also Toodee, cat-dragon and cool animal all-round. The team do babies and animals and healthy eating. What's not to like? Good music too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now