Put off biking.

(158 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

wizzzadora Tue 25-Mar-14 11:46:53

Hello all, long time reader first time poster.

I've recently been toying with the idea of fulfilling a lifes ambition of mine and that is to learn to ride a motorcycle. I have looked into all the laws and requirements and have even put a deposit down on a little 125.

While searching for more information on riding I came across a bikers website that was both busy and had loads of information I could use.

Now the problem is I am absolutely appalled by the level of misogyny that appears to run through the biking community. One post really brought that home to me....

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3853062&highlight=#3853062
(I hope it's ok to link it here).

This quickly led to what can only be described as a vile torrent of abuse aimed at a woman that did nothing more than make a sensible comment. Suffice to say she was driven off the site quite quickly....

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287211
I know it sounds weak but I'm now very much put off going to bike meets or runs because of the obvious hatred so many seem to harbour be it overtly or secretly.

Well that was… disappointing grin

When people resort to saying something's "sad" that means they have, just, <shakes head>

D'ya reckon the "particularly Millie Tant" poster was me or you *girl"?

AnyFucker Wed 26-Mar-14 20:52:01

oh, I love a "Millie Tant" reference

it's a signpost to being a dickhead, makes life much easier

CaptChaos Wed 26-Mar-14 21:10:42

Bless them.

Setting off a Klaxxon because the mean wimmins handed some of their posters their arses.

Fuck! I hope they never meet any of the bikers I used to hang out with, they'd eat them alive.

MajorGrinch Thu 27-Mar-14 07:50:09

After 15 years of biking (all year round, not just a summer Power Ranger) I don't feel that I've missed out at all by not joining the "Bike Scene".

Looking at that forum & having enjoyed some of the witty repartee from the -- biker caricatures-- Visitors from it, I think I'll stick to my guns & steer well clear, far too rufty tufty for me!

Do your CBT, ride for a bit & make your own friends/contacts in your own time OP.

If you've got any Bike related questions ask them on MN - there are hundreds of bikers on here who will be more than happy to help you!

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Thu 27-Mar-14 16:05:54

"Thank you so, so much for the advice not to use a forum for misogynistic, semi-literate people if I don't want to be irritated by ill-formed and bigoted opinions expressed by those with the compositional skills of an elephant with a broken wax crayon."

That's quite insulting to elephants who appear to be really intelligent and are known for their empathy grin

I know, but their fingers are pretty large and clumsy thus compromising their compositional abilities with broken wax crayons, much to their frustration probably.

But just in case any are reading, no insult to empathetic elephants was intended.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 28-Mar-14 00:07:27

Test.

<peeps in>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now