Put off biking.

(158 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

wizzzadora Tue 25-Mar-14 11:46:53

Hello all, long time reader first time poster.

I've recently been toying with the idea of fulfilling a lifes ambition of mine and that is to learn to ride a motorcycle. I have looked into all the laws and requirements and have even put a deposit down on a little 125.

While searching for more information on riding I came across a bikers website that was both busy and had loads of information I could use.

Now the problem is I am absolutely appalled by the level of misogyny that appears to run through the biking community. One post really brought that home to me....

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3853062&highlight=#3853062
(I hope it's ok to link it here).

This quickly led to what can only be described as a vile torrent of abuse aimed at a woman that did nothing more than make a sensible comment. Suffice to say she was driven off the site quite quickly....

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287211
I know it sounds weak but I'm now very much put off going to bike meets or runs because of the obvious hatred so many seem to harbour be it overtly or secretly.

sleeplessbunny Wed 26-Mar-14 10:58:47

I would avoid the forums but don't take that as the way all bikers or groups of bikers behave. My experience as a female biker has generally been positive and I would encourage you to go for it. Yes there are some misogynists, just as there are pretty much everywhere, but it was never a problem for me. Most are fine and respectful IME, I've made some great friends, male and female, through biking. It is a naturally competitive culture I find (at least in sports bikes) so there can be a fair few not wanting to be "beaten by a girl" which winds me up but that's about the worst I've experienced in RL from male bikers.

evilbendy Wed 26-Mar-14 10:59:10

Several points...

#1 Do not confuse 'the internet' with 'the real world'. To be put off biking because some kids on a forum were slightly less than accommodating is idiocy of the highest order.

#2 You entered a debate about feminism on a male-dominated forum. What were you expecting would happen? "Vile torrent" my arse, by the way.

#3 Coming over here and baaawwwing about it? Really?

Here's a pro tip - you don't need to tell everyone you're a woman. It just doesn't have to come up. I've been on BCF for over ten years and there are plenty of folk who haven't worked that out yet. Why? Cos I don't go on about it. I've talked about riding, I've asked questions and I've never felt the need to quantify it by mentioning my gender. It's irrelevant unless you're looking for that "oh wow, a girl doing a bloke's thing, aren't you ace, would you like some hand-holding" thing that so many seem to.

Get some bleeding perspective!

I should post some touchy-feely 'oh don't be disheartened' stuff but I can't be bothered, cos if that's all it takes then you'll quit the first time the horrible sexist CBT instructor gives you the merest bit of feedback on your riding.

Time to be a grown up and stop making excuses.

duedater Wed 26-Mar-14 11:04:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

hellkatjen Wed 26-Mar-14 11:06:24

re coolgirl thread:
Thanks, an interesting read smile

duedater Wed 26-Mar-14 11:18:55

hellkatjen Wed 26-Mar-14 11:35:03

Thanks but the link is hanging, and I'm busy being self-congratulatory elsewhere at the moment.

hellkatjen Wed 26-Mar-14 11:36:07

Plus, I have Farms to harvest, sheesh.

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 11:56:52

in b4 the bandwagon arrives!

MajorGrinch Wed 26-Mar-14 12:03:08

Do you have to go on bike runs or go to bike meets? I've been riding a bike for years & it's not something that appeals. I've never understood the desire to join the "way of life" that seems to be mandatory for some people the minute they get on 2 wheels... Get out there, ride & meet real people....

If you want to ride a bike, then ride a bike - whatever level of interaction you have with other bike riders is totally up to you!

Gabriella123456789 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:09:45

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 12:13:48

Getting out there and meeting real people; are people who go on bike runs or go to bike meets not real people?

The reason people do those things is to meet people with a common interest, when you're a biking n00b learning from more experienced motorcyclists is a very useful thing.

I like cats, therefore I meet other cat owners. Is that wrong, should I be meeting real people instead?

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 12:21:23

To all our new friends hmm

FUCK THE FUCK OFF TO THE FAR SIDE OF FUCK.

WHEN YOU GET THERE, FUCK OFF SOME MORE.

Just so we're clear.

OP I wouldn't start biking tbh. Mostly because the rates of death due to accident are so high.

Gabriella123456789 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:24:01

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 12:35:46

Horse riding is more dangerous than biking.

Why are you being abusive and telling us to fuck off? We've all been polite and posted entirely reasonable messages, is it just that everyone here has to agree with each other or their messages will be deleted?

On BCF we accept and discuss everything. Is this thread considered offensive? www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287279

Gabriella123456789 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:37:26

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:42

nobbythecat

Horse riding is more dangerous than biking.

Why are you being abusive and telling us to fuck off? We've all been polite and posted entirely reasonable messages, is it just that everyone here has to agree with each other or their messages will be deleted?

On BCF we accept and discuss everything. Is this thread considered offensive? www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287279

Hello

Not quite true that everyone has been reasonable or non-abusive tbh nobby - and we've banned and deleted those ones.

Welcome to MN! We discuss everything here too.

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 12:43:34

Why not edit the parts of their posts which aren't liked rather than deleting the whole post?

And as posts have been deleted, it would seem that everything isn't discussed here.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:45:01

nobbythecat

Why not edit the parts of their posts which aren't liked rather than deleting the whole post?

And as posts have been deleted, it would seem that everything isn't discussed here.

Cos that's not how we do it here. Soz.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:46:12

We don't allow personal abuse or deliberately inflammatory posts - do please check out our Talk Guidelines. Breaking our TGs is what gets people deleted.

No discussion topics are verboten though (within reason)

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 12:49:46

Having read the Talak Guidelines, presumably TheGirlFromIpanema will be banned for making a personal attack on the new members in this thread?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:51:49

nobbythecat

Having read the Talak Guidelines, presumably TheGirlFromIpanema will be banned for making a personal attack on the new members in this thread?

No, we don't go straight to banning with long-established posters who we know are generally good eggs but have been goaded beyond endurance by weirdly rude interlopers (not you).

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Mar-14 12:53:09

Would that make you feel better nobby

<<strokes the delicate flowers head, there there poppet>>

nobbythecat Wed 26-Mar-14 12:55:04

So it's one rule for some people and another rule for others?

How impartial and fair!

None of the posts have been rude but now nobody can see that, that's also not fair.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:56:41

nobbythecat

So it's one rule for some people and another rule for others?

How impartial and fair!

None of the posts have been rude but now nobody can see that, that's also not fair.

It really was rude nobby

It was very rude

Honest

MajorGrinch Wed 26-Mar-14 12:58:44

Getting out there and meeting real people; are people who go on bike runs or go to bike meets not real people?

They are Nobby, but a lot of them are arseholes too (don't know where I get that impression).

My point was, you can ride a bike without having to endure the alleged "way of life". And by meet people, I mean't on a case by case basis when you bump into them & chat rather than turn up at a misogynistic cattle market & get thrown in at the deep end....

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now