Come and cheer Buffy on through the final 20k words of her thesis.

(308 Posts)

Terribly self-indulgent thread, I hope you don't mind?

Bit of background, I started my PhD part-time when ds was very little. Had maternity leave from it with dd a year or so later, didn't have much in the way of supervision for a long time, fell out with supervisor, got a new one last year.

Meanwhile, I got a proper academic post. Sort of mid-level, SL equivalent though at the moment I am doing no teaching. I have won funding, published, all that.

So I feel that the PhD is a little bit of an irrelevance now, just a box to be ticked. But I am determined to finish it, because it has been the source of so much angst. And while I enjoy it when I am writing, it can be difficult to find the motivation to get on with it and I feel guilty when I work on it because I think I should be doing other things.

So, I have decided to write 2,000 words per working day for the next two weeks, which should result in the whole thing being a complete (though very rough) draft. I am making a commitment to do this on here to help me stick to it.

It would be lovely and really, really helpful if people could cheer me on grin

I have done 500 so far today, though I have actually written close of 4k, it's just 3.5k were for something else.

Thanks y'all smile

Me2Me2 Mon 02-Jun-14 11:06:01

How are you doing Buffy?
I'm having to include new research and other tasks keep coming in, which means I won't meet my notional 1 July deadline. I've resigned myself to working on holiday shock

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Wed 21-May-14 17:10:01

Awesome
Excellent
Wyld Stallyn-esque

Better? grin

81,200 odd now. Nonsense may be an apposite word sad

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Wed 21-May-14 17:05:49

Pimple
Grapefruit
Nonsense

There are three more words!

Meant 79,869.

Sometime my brain just doesn't do numbers.

When I break the 80,000 barrier, it will magically just be done. Right? Right?

Most definitely.

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Tue 20-May-14 17:06:19

Bodacious, dude!

79,195 words now. Nearly there...

Me2Me2 Mon 19-May-14 12:30:15

ha ha I have never had much patience for plans so no danger here. I remember someone at uni tried to learn Arabic by learning the dictionary from the beginning

I am trying to finish the whole thing by the first week of June. Trouble is, I've now reached the point where there aren't easy and obvious targets to aim for, so I'm not really sure how I am progressing.

Perhaps I should spend a bit of time going through it and working out what needs to be done and making a plan. I don't want to fall into the Rimmer revision timetable trap though grin

Me2Me2 Mon 19-May-14 09:10:57

New week new resolve. How's it going Buffy? I have made some interim deadlines and will work evenings if I don't make them. I can;t come back from holiday to more of the same

HoVis2001 Fri 16-May-14 19:44:54

Go Buffy! I hope you are planning a relaxing weekend away from the thesis....

The writing-up period feels like a distant fantasy to me, until I remind myself that I am technically almost a third of the way through my PhD. Where did the last year go?! I sometimes find it slightly hard to believe that I will get all of the research and writing done in the requisite time. So, I definitely salute anyone who is actually about to finish. grin

Well it's all guns a blazing for July 1st then smile

I think that academic work is always out of date in the sense that someone is always working on a really interesting perspective or project. And it's never finished, because it can always be improved. Like a step on a journey?

At the very least, you can be very reflective and critical in the 'limitations of the study' section and suggest some really good directions for future research. Some of which you might want to pursue yourself grin

I just need to plod towards the finish line now.

Me2Me2 Mon 12-May-14 09:39:38

A stern cheer team, I wouldn't want to disappoint them

1st July is a kind of deadline for me too as we're going on holiday on the 2nd.

I'm just back from a conference which has both enthused me and left me feeling that my project is a little out of date. And a book review I did last week sent me into deep depression as I realised that some of the values I was looking for in that study are not indeed present in my own shock sad

kickassangel Fri 09-May-14 18:56:26

Buffy's cheer team

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 09-May-14 14:13:28

Gimme a B, gimme a U, gimme an F, F, Y!
She's gonna be done by first of July!

<waves pom poms>

CaptChaos Fri 09-May-14 13:43:36

Surely late nights as deadlines loom closer is traditional?

Good luck!

<feminist pom-poms a-waving>

Ooh, sorry, I had not realized you knew your deadline yet. Good luck! You can do it.

Hello everyone. Still plugging away, though there have been some interruptions for illness (dc, then me, now dh).

My final deadline is 1st July so less time than I thought shock.

I think I will be in for some late nights soon.

kickassangel Wed 07-May-14 15:49:50

I lost this thread for a while.

Buffy - how's it going?

HoVis2001 Mon 05-May-14 00:51:18

Single document time - congratulations! Now back it up in a hundred different locations.

Me2Me2 Fri 02-May-14 13:12:15

Hows it going Buffy et al? I really have to finish the present chapter before traveling on wednesday or I'll lose my train of thought

One document indeed!

Dc are mended and dispatched back to the real world and I'm back working. Feeling reasonably positive today and have made good progress so far.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 29-Apr-14 23:50:39

One document! Hooray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now