Come and cheer Buffy on through the final 20k words of her thesis.

(308 Posts)

Terribly self-indulgent thread, I hope you don't mind?

Bit of background, I started my PhD part-time when ds was very little. Had maternity leave from it with dd a year or so later, didn't have much in the way of supervision for a long time, fell out with supervisor, got a new one last year.

Meanwhile, I got a proper academic post. Sort of mid-level, SL equivalent though at the moment I am doing no teaching. I have won funding, published, all that.

So I feel that the PhD is a little bit of an irrelevance now, just a box to be ticked. But I am determined to finish it, because it has been the source of so much angst. And while I enjoy it when I am writing, it can be difficult to find the motivation to get on with it and I feel guilty when I work on it because I think I should be doing other things.

So, I have decided to write 2,000 words per working day for the next two weeks, which should result in the whole thing being a complete (though very rough) draft. I am making a commitment to do this on here to help me stick to it.

It would be lovely and really, really helpful if people could cheer me on grin

I have done 500 so far today, though I have actually written close of 4k, it's just 3.5k were for something else.

Thanks y'all smile

grimbletart Thu 20-Mar-14 15:52:08

Go Buffy. Just think, when people tell you about their bunions and you say I'm not a medical doctor and they say, "oh, I thought you were a proper doctor" you can doctorsplain to them that doctor was historically a term for scientists and it was highjacked by quacks…….so you are a proper doctor. You just don't do bunions….

350 to go.

Slowing. Down. Now.

WhentheRed Thu 20-Mar-14 16:50:19

Good luck Buffy, you can do it.

Get off MN until the last 350 are done. Then you can reward yourself.

AnUnearthlyChild Thu 20-Mar-14 16:58:36

Go go Buffy.

Both highly jealous and impresses of your impending Dr Buffy... Now about my hernia.

And to think I'm stressing about a highly incomplete measly 2000 word effort due tomorrow. I have actual words written, with sentences and full stops and things and a list of reputable sources but wether it actually makes any sense is anyone's guess smile

kim147 Thu 20-Mar-14 16:58:38

I remember doing my dissertation on an electronic typewriter - it was amazing. It could remember a whole page at a time grin

How long is your thesis?

Dervel Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:28

Rock on Buffy!

Kim it's close on 65k words. Thanks all for the encouragement smile

Taking a break for half an hour, but will do those 350 words before the kids get back from dm at 7.

migsy86 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:27:26

Good luck Buffy, you can do it. x

bonesarecoralmade Thu 20-Mar-14 17:33:35

Go go go Buffy go!

TerrariaMum Thu 20-Mar-14 17:39:24

Keep at it Buffy, you can do it!

Thanks migsy that means a lot. So can you, you know flowers

scallopsrgreat Thu 20-Mar-14 18:09:42

65k of words! Aren't you tempted to put in a couple of pages of radical feminist theory in the middle. Just to see if they notice. grin

I think your doing amazingly well.

Go Buffy Go

<does a little cheerleading dance>
<if it's good enough for men its good enough for Buffy wink >

DontGiveAwayTheHomeworld Thu 20-Mar-14 18:17:43

Go Buffy! I mostly lurk here, but love reading your posts, they're always so insightful and funny. And doesn't finishing this mean you get to put phd after your name?

There is already radical feminist theory in there scallops. I even quote Beachcomber! shock With her permission, of course.

Thanks Don't that's really kind blush

200 words to go…

You lot are great.

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:21:56

Go Buffy go!!

I am also (supposed to be) doing a PhD, but am much further behind in the process than you.

BE MY INSPIRATION!!!!!! No pressure grin.

scallopsrgreat Thu 20-Mar-14 18:23:47

Oh wow I'm impressed Buffy (about the radical feminist theory and the amount of words you've done today)

You've done 90% of today's quota already. Last 10% is a fiddle x

Brain. Melting. Words. Not. Flowing.

Except the dross I am posting on here, that is grin

What is your field cardamom? I am a wooly postmodern ethnographer with an identity crisis, so I can't inspire you if your stuff is in any way, like, clever or technical.

YoniMatopoeia Thu 20-Mar-14 18:27:36

Go Buffy Go!

I am now nosy about the subject of your Thesis blush

Maybe you should set me challenges to amuse me as I limp toward the final hurdle of a crap finished draft? For example, try and reference Dworkin somewhere.

Yoni that would well out me, now wouldn't it grin

SinisterSal Thu 20-Mar-14 18:32:11

Go Buffy it's a pain in the arse but you can do it!

YoniMatopoeia Thu 20-Mar-14 18:32:26

Yes - hence the blush

I have now learned (via the medium of Wikipedia) what an ethnographer is though.

Every day is a school day

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:38:05

Medical sociology/anthropology type stuff - attitudes to illness and medical treatment.

I was very enthused about it a LONG time ago. Now it feels dull sad. I need to get my mojo back!

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:38:39

Here's a challenge - try and quote Spike grin.

cardamomginger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:40:08

I mean, just put the words in. Don't do a proper reference. There might be a few hmm or confused faces at your viva.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now