Brilliant spoof magazine covers for International women's day

(10 Posts)
Scarletohello Fri 07-Mar-14 00:17:27

These are very cleverly done but with a very serious message, please have a look.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/mar/06/international-womens-day-sex-trafficking-slavery

Scarletohello Fri 07-Mar-14 00:17:41
GarthsUncle Fri 07-Mar-14 00:23:46

Really good

Great. Really irritated by one of the comments "what's really sad is this is someone's daughter, sister, and they are standing by"

No, what's really sad is this is a fucking PERSON to whom this is happening. Doesn't matter who she belongs to. Grr

MajorGrinch Fri 07-Mar-14 09:57:16

I took that to mean "they stand by and do nothing" rather than relegating the victim to being an object, but it is easy to interpret it either way.

I think it's a valid point, but the other side is that it's often the mother or sister that enables, if not encourages, the abuse as much as anyone...

Yes, I do think that the commenter (commentator?) meant 'how sad that the people who are supposed to love them do nothing'

But I've learnt to notice how often women-as-humans-with-rights are erased from such handwringing. It should be enough, more than enough, that a human being is being sold into sexual slavery. It shouldn't matter whether they are someone's sister or daughter, it should matter because they are a person.

Not getting at you Major I hope it doesn't come across as though I think you think the opposite to what I've said here. It's just now I've noticed how often women are defined relative to what they mean to someone else, I see it everywhere and it rankles, even when meant kindly.

Hassled Fri 07-Mar-14 10:33:47

Those are excellent. I'm so impressed with the "not just a cover story" idea.

MajorGrinch Fri 07-Mar-14 10:56:30

But I've learnt to notice how often women-as-humans-with-rights are erased from such handwringing.

Totally agree, it shifts the focus onto the person "not doing" something rather than keeping it on the victim.

It is very pervasive & often slips under the radar so you don't even realise you're minimising the victims until it's too late - I've fallen into this trap a few times I must admit.

CuntyBunty Sat 08-Mar-14 08:44:38

I never though of it like that Buffy. I shall do a spot more thinking before I open my trap in future. Good work.

blush thanks cunty

There was another one yesterday, a stop-motion film of a girl growing up with abuse. The headline "this is someone's daughter"

NO! This is SOMEONE!

Maybe there should be another campaign (they're being suggested everywhere this morning, aren't they!). Bit like EVB or counting dead women. Called:

This is SOMEONE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now