A feminist TV channel - what would it be like? Shows, themes,ads etc

(41 Posts)
itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 09:45:20

Inspired by recent talks about advertising and films.

If there was a feminist TV channel, what would you put on it? Shows, films, sit coms.

The adverts would have to not feature women doing all the housework and the men just being cool. They'd have to be more reflective of what actually happens in some households. And no adverts telling women what to do with make up etc.

Films - well, no James Bond for a start.

I'm sure it would be appealing and not too "politically correct"

(think of is as the feminist pub in your living room)

Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 17:03:17

When I did film studies, they talked about the concept of the 'male gaze', ie how the point of view of most films is men looking at women and how women viewed themselves as the subject of the gaze. Would be interesting to not only dissect that but also reverse it...

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 16:35:00

You could take mainstream programs with alternate feminist subtitle interpreting and analysing the plot.

Would be great for adverts.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Tue 25-Feb-14 16:00:45

They have that scarlet It's called cage fighting

thatswhatimtalkingbout Tue 25-Feb-14 15:51:41

mn is popular and it is about everything. there is definitely something in here.
I feel like what is interesting about mn (and not what people expect) is that it is about everything - including politics and "hard" stuff - but despite the fact that it is not what is stereotyped as "women's issues" only, or "girls' stuff" only, there is a women's slant on a lot of discussion that is missing in mainstream media. it can't help but being a bit more feminist than most of the rest of the world, even when it doesn't mean to be.
so an analogous approach to TV would just be - women covering everything, except the stupid sexist crap we don't need, and adding more emphasis on the stuff we are particularly interested in. I can see it working

Of course a lot of the drama, sit coms etc would have to be new commisions

- or! or! or! - as all original programming is far too expensive for a start up - you can screen mainstream programming, but you have a feminist interpreter, akin to the sign language person in the corner of the screen on the editions for deaf people, who comments, as you would when watching with your friends - so you can buy job lots of eg, Friends, and screen it, but rather than show it without comment you have someone holding up signs saying things like "Oh right, like that's attractive, and not totally creepy and stalkerish" when Ross is being an arse as usual

Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 15:46:40

Yes. We should have Mumsnet TV!

Imagine a real life AIBU with a studio audience....

whatdoesittake48 Tue 25-Feb-14 15:09:49

Music video show with only videos where women wear clothes and don't gyrate or fawn over a man.

i would like to see history shows about famous women too.

A women's panel show where they discuss real topics (like the ones we talk about...) rather than celebs and relationships...

panel show like question time but with female politicians and journalists - high brow stuff.

Oh and all the women should be paid at least what the top men in the BBC get paid.

I used to want to start a rolling "good news" channel. A bit like Sky news 24, but only with news which was uplifting, inspiring or fun from around the world. So many people out there are doing great stuff and it never makes the news. I think people would love that type of channel. i even went as far as almost buying the domain name to start a website of good news - but the set up costs of a channel are horrendous...

I don't think it would be minority because women are more likely to watch TV during the day in any case and actually many of the shows could have wide appeal.

Maybe one of the big networks could do a "women's week" to see if it has legs...(the idea, not the women)

aaaah....pie in the sky.

twofingerstoGideon Tue 25-Feb-14 14:46:38

Jo Brand et al in shows like 'Getting On' please.

ArtetasSwollenAnkle Tue 25-Feb-14 14:08:16

I am waaaay too busy grin . But there are some very motivated people on here. I was just wondering - what better way to spread the gospel?

CuntyBunty Tue 25-Feb-14 14:01:02

Go on then, Artetas, I'd give you a hand.

ArtetasSwollenAnkle Tue 25-Feb-14 13:54:05

I know this is not a totally serious discussion, but why doesn't someone actually do this? Has anyone tried? Its not like its a minority audience - 50 per cent of the population, give or take grin

CuntyBunty Tue 25-Feb-14 13:25:07

Oh, and Roller Derby, a proper womens' sport, originally started by and for women. As opposed to Mens' sport played by women.

CuntyBunty Tue 25-Feb-14 13:23:24

News Reporters and Jornos would include Polly Toynbee, Hadley Freeman, Suzanne Moore and of course, Zoe Williams.

CuntyBunty Tue 25-Feb-14 13:21:46

A film from India called, "Kill The Rapist!". I haven't seen it unfortunately, but good luck to them.

Jo Brand and Claudia Winkleman can present.

We can have amazing scientists on too, like the anatomist Professor Sue Black en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Black_(forensic_anthropologist) who was on radio four this morning. She's a forensic anthroplogist and went to Bosinia to identify remains and gather evidence against the Serbs by sifting through bodies and bones on her hands and knees while there were snipers in the hill aiming for her. I am in awe of women like that.

We can also have lots of features about female sexuality and masturbation as it should not be a taboo and hasn't been widely covered. I would have Betty Dodson featured regularly as part of that.

Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 13:10:51

And... Normal sized women in all shows, adverts films etc. not stick thin women

Also a show where the female presenter is older and the man is a younger cutie! ( to redress the balance..) smile

Basketofchocolate Tue 25-Feb-14 13:09:01

I loved that every time I tuned into the winter olymps when DS was present it was all women doing the sport - including ice hockey (tho it was tricky to tell to start with due to the outfits) - but so glad as it might go some way to neutralising my Dad and brother's horribly sexist views on women's sport.

Scarletohello Tue 25-Feb-14 13:08:58

Great idea!

I'd like a show about women's rights around the world, a feminist perspective on the news, how new laws and policies affect women, a documentary about rape and sexual assault and a weekly show about personal development. Demonstrations of active listening, conflict resolution etc.

And lots of comedy like Smack The Pony!

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 12:59:43

The news should cover women's issues - especially worldwide ones that hardly get a mention.

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 12:58:47

Love the idea of advertisers being challenged like in Rogue Traders.

slug Tue 25-Feb-14 12:57:50

Women's sport in general. All those Olympic medal holders, both the summer and the winter ones, could have their sports covered. The Wimbledon women's final could be broadcast on prime time TV, the men's could go behind the red button.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Tue 25-Feb-14 12:23:30

Yeah why is it acceptable in the "manly" sports to roll about like that, it's the adult equivalent of "teacher teacher he's looking at me!"? grin

Shameful!

Bifauxnen Tue 25-Feb-14 12:10:44

Frankie Boyle would have a place, I think. Late at night there could be one of those gambling shows where he's placed in stocks and if you win he gets pelted with rotten veg. It would have to be rigged to be quite easy to win. Great viewing and would also generate cash to fund the channel.

ready hey I'm American too originally grin

Women's football is great, they just get on with it without diving and yelling at the ref and being all pouty.

VelvetStrider Tue 25-Feb-14 11:51:28

Some of the adverts could be for very personal and slightly embarrassing mens products - erectile disfunction treatments, scrotal waxing kit, prostate tickler, snug fit condoms etc.

After all, we have to put up with primetime showings of Tena Lady, wind dispersal tablets, panty liners and so on.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Tue 25-Feb-14 11:29:20

Rogue traders!

And that would be brilliant!

Would also love a show that discussed religion and women's roles in it from a feminist view point.

Oh and on site interviews at feminist conferences.

i don't remember what it's called but there's a show where a man goes around challenging dodgy tradesmen

you could do a similar one where a woman goes and challenges misogynist advertising messages (confronting individuals from advertising companies, the companies advertising products etc) and asking them to explain themselves / their thinking / their market research which has led them to their decisions about how to advertise in that way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now