The Feminist Pub Mark, um, V? Anyway, come in and chat.

(1000 Posts)

As I claimed the last post on the previous thread, I suppose it's my duty to set out the chairs, plump the cushions, stoke the fire, polish the bar and line up the glasses for the next one. grin

Oh, and to clear up a possible miscommunication on my part, it was not in fact I who told LordCopper that women had to choose between a career and a family. Just to clear that up.

What's everyone drinking?

bonesarecoralmade Wed 19-Mar-14 21:13:50

Good point about the water Buffy. i have been trying today but it's hard in interviews.

It's the sleep really. I feel like one child after another gets ill and cranky at night. One is wailing now and I was hoping for at least a window of rest before the inevitable waking later, shit shit shit have to go now

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 19:20:45

buffy I've heard proposal to decide funding by lottery. What do you think of that? Right now it's a bit like lottery anyway. If it is really lottery then at least you don't have to feel inferior.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 19:19:16

I have a headache. sad

So am trying to distract myself by thinking about what to cook for MIL on mother's day. grin Chocolate crumble pear tart, I'm thinking...

legoplayingmumsunite Wed 19-Mar-14 18:25:06

Silly question, but are you drinking enough water?

I think sleep is the answer for all parents of toddlers. I was talking to a woman at work today who has been married 1 year, no kids. She'd had to pick up some relatives from the airport and was complaining she was tired, she'd had 7.5h sleep. She was horrified when I told her how little I sleep. Do you remember all the stuff in the 80s about Margaret Thatcher only having 4h sleep a night and depending on the politics of the people commenting on it it was either an example of how she was mad or wonderful. Now I think it was just because after raising twins she had adjusted to functioning on half full. I bet if you spoke to most parents their sleep would be well below the 'ideal' of 8h a night. I can't actually sleep that much any more. If I go to bed in the early evening in an attempt to catch up on my sleep I inevitably wake up at 2am and can't get back to sleep again (because I've already had 5-6h sleep) and so am even more exhausted the next day.

Bones I've had moments this week when I've felt a bit like you do. Silly question, but are you drinking enough water? I have made a real conscious effort to eat properly and be hydrated today and it has made quite a difference.

Not saying this will solve all your issues of course smile but it might make things a bit more bearable until you can take the break you so obviously need.

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 19-Mar-14 11:14:46

Bones I feel for you. If you have leave to take, just book some now and give yourself a break. You sound well overdue a recharge. thanks

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 11:06:52

Bones sad You need some time off.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:42:41

SoupForLunch That must be it! grin

Buffy Am considering it.

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 19-Mar-14 10:36:29

I can't really participate in pub action as I'm getting over pneumonia. But I have two black cats and can confirm that, if placed anywhere in the vicinity of a box, their response will be to get in and fall asleep. Could this be where the dead/alive confusion comes from? wink

If the whole paper explains why the hypothesis probably isn't true, then the abstract is just… perfect!

What if you give the old solution a new name?

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:20:16

buffy grin

But I would expect some evidence to support the "probably not".

I'm thinking about writing a paper to tell people that they don't need a new solution for a particular situation because they can reuse the ones from another situation. But I doubt it will be publishable. hmm

Bones please take at least a day off. Go for a walk, sort something out in the house that's been bugging you. You can't just keep going or eventually something will break sad

Copper, I bet you've seen this one?

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 10:07:45

Quite Doctrine. We do MD for MIL because she's lovely and I think it would be awful not to do it. Just because - I'm sure you know why. My kids would probably do a card from school. But that's quite enough for me.

I'm a treat-me-with-respect-every-fucking-day sort of a woman, not a be-nice-to-me-on-special-occasion type.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 10:04:51

How's #Rage2014 going for you, LordC? grin

(PS I agree. But grumpy whingers mean "their" mums by Mothering Sunday, not "other" mums who have the temerity to be women whose lives don't revolve around said grumpy whingers)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 09:45:20

Please take a day off this week or next, sick day if you have to. flowers

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 09:44:40

Can I also moan about Mother's Day because everyone I know in RL will think I'm bitter and twisted? I hate Mother's Day. All year long they demonise women and mothers - the latest thing I read being that the world would be a better place if mothers didn't put their children in forward-facing pushchairs while wittering away on the phone - and for one fucking day they go "awwww, aren't mothers great?" I HATE the whole card-manufacturing world, and every marketing agency, and every unthinking bastard who spouts nonsense like this. I would like to tell them to FTFOAWTGTFOSM.

Now I'm going to work.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 19-Mar-14 09:38:02
bonesarecoralmade Wed 19-Mar-14 09:27:08

Poor Penguins.

Crap night sleep here too. I can't remember the last time I slept through without someone waking me up. dd2 last night, getting the filthy virus dd1 had last week.

I feel spaced out with panic. people keep trying to talk to me about things I just cannot deal with at the moment. because they aren't my job, or because even if they technically are, they are so far down the list of priorities, I begrudge even the effort needed to pleasantly stall.

I really need to sleep. And I really need some space to think. I feel absolutely desperate.
Interviewing today. That fills me with dread. I am not ready, I was supposed to have prepared a task. That is ok, I can pull that together in the next 15 mins, but what is panicking me is that they are a bunch of students as my company is so cheap and I am afraid I am going to have a huge emotional reaction of desperation at6 needing staff and being offered inexperienced people who need mentoring and hand holding. I don't have it in me right now.

Even if I just resign I am on 3 months notice and will have to turn up and be hectored about all this shite for 3 months (although I could take some holiday and actually take it for a change)

I am so burnt out I am beyond even working out how to deal with the burn out

sorry to come on here and wibble I just need to get it out before I fake competence for day of meetings

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:24:02

Thanks Buffy. DH has actually done the school run, so you know, not all bad smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:23:17

Thanks Doctrine. I will witter if small person gives me a chance to listen to any smile

It isn't actually that bad LRD. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning, as I tend to when I am tired.

Hope you all have fabulous days. Achieve something out there in the big wide world for me. I'll join you out there in a couple of years!

That's rubbish Penguins sad

I hope you can at least put your feet up today.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 19-Mar-14 09:19:59

I will listen to you about the budget, Penguins.

Which reminds me I have a pension thing to do before the end of the tax year.

<adds that to list>

Oh, that sounds rotten penguins.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:11:18

Oh, and dying a little of jealousy as DH gets to talk budget all over twitter and on the phone for work (working from home). I was never interested in the budget when I was working because I never had time to pay proper attention and it impacted minimally on my work. Now I just want to do anything where I get to be a grown up and people listen to me!

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 09:09:21

Argh, I want your days. Can we swap?

Horrid night of sleep where I woke up every 45 minutes in pain in my hip. And with only a month and a half to go, turning over each time is a massive event involving sitting up and the swapping around of pillows.

Today I am taking a small child to toddler gym class, collecting a big kid from school and I'm not sure what else.

This thread is not accepting new messages.