The Feminist Pub Mark, um, V? Anyway, come in and chat.

(1000 Posts)

As I claimed the last post on the previous thread, I suppose it's my duty to set out the chairs, plump the cushions, stoke the fire, polish the bar and line up the glasses for the next one. grin

Oh, and to clear up a possible miscommunication on my part, it was not in fact I who told LordCopper that women had to choose between a career and a family. Just to clear that up.

What's everyone drinking?

<serves self an Irish coffee>

This could get messy if it's just me tonight...

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Feb-14 18:06:41

I'd like half a pint of the citrusy beer I had on the Isle of Mull last year, please.

Failing that a lime and soda.

Anyway, back to LordCopper's informant - I do hope she told him he was quaint.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 11-Feb-14 18:09:30

Glad to hear that Buffy.grin

I need something that'll keep me awake for parents' evening but not make me buzzy like coffee. Any recommendations?

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 18:10:24

It was a woman who said that women should choose between family and career.

<< faints again >>

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Feb-14 18:11:33

For goodness sake someone get her a stiff brandy.

CaptChaos Tue 11-Feb-14 18:15:45

My female manager said similar, she also asked who was looking after DS while I was working.

I hope DH hurries up and gets his new job sorted so that we can move away. I hate my job, I hate the company and I hate my managers, but I can't really leave and get something else because I know we'll only be here a couple of months maximum now. Still, a person can do anything for a couple of months, can't they? <pleading>

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 18:16:02

It makes me so angry.

Last week a London politician was interviewed on telly by some American network. She said "at the end of the day" (some would say people should be shot for saying this to start with) women should be responsible for the children they bring into the world.

See?

What do we do?

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 18:17:43

Capt someone suggested (can't remember where) that you should look around, say "Fuck!", and run out of the building to look to see where you've misplaced your children, when people ask you who is looking after your children when you are working.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Tue 11-Feb-14 18:19:43

"Kids? Riding motorbikes or stealing cars, probably." And shrug.

<disclaimer - only if said kids are under 10!>

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Feb-14 18:27:06

I'd be more inclined to check a calendar and say 'just checking the year, for a moment I wasn't sure we were in the 21st century'.

How about a variation on the MN classic: "did you mean to be so sexist?" <head tilt>

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 18:45:55

Well done BuffytheReasonableBartender.

Oh dear, oh dear. Stiff drink for me too please.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 18:50:11

I've been swimming and now I feel all achy.

Should I
(a) have a drink?
(b) sit and MN?
(c) play the piano?
(d) do the washing up?

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 18:52:34

Depends whether you have a 'bedtime' to do. Can't remember if you have kids or ages.

Assuming no bedtime duties, secret option e), a really long hot soak in the bath with a drink.

CaptChaos Tue 11-Feb-14 19:10:36

Or, for the really talented option f) long hot soak, in the bath, with the washing up, MNing while simultaneously playing the piano.

I don't know what to do about the manager person. She comes out with the most astounding things. We finally have a female branch manager in our region who is apparently a total bitch, natch and my manager said, 'She's at work all the time, never goes home, she has kids, god knows who looks after them' When I suggested that maybe her husband/partner might be a SAHD, she looked at me like I had grown and extra head. So much sexism is internalised, isn't it?

I have melt in the middle chocolate pudding. I think that and the creme egg I snaffled sneakily on the walk home from Tesco-down-the-road will be required in order to deal with Darren.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 19:12:52

I don't actually like baths!

I have DC aged nearly 8 and 10. They can do their own bedtimes. In fact they are upstairs sorting out their swimming things.

I opted for (c) after I managed to turf DS2 off. grin

I am now going to have a drink (to give my long-suffering neighbours' ears a rest - poor neighbours, what with a cello and a beginner violin, I try to impose silence from about 7) while rearranging the dirty dishes in the kitchen so they don't look like a lot of dirty dishes. DH will be back soon so he will wash up...

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 11-Feb-14 19:13:59

'She's at work all the time, never goes home, she has kids, god knows who looks after them' That's why a woman should choose between family and career - I am told.

ethelb Tue 11-Feb-14 19:16:56

I was starting to wonder if Darren was a satirical pisstake. Come on, fess up if it is you!

BriarRainbowshimmer Tue 11-Feb-14 19:18:00

Pretty sure it is ethelb!

BriarRainbowshimmer Tue 11-Feb-14 19:18:31

That's it's a pisstake not you

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 19:19:24

You don't like baths Copper. I have heard people say this. My husband has had about two baths in the last year. It does not compute.

I still miss a friend from when we lived in London. I always liked her and then she admitted once that she had a long soak in the bath every single night unless going out. After that I knew we were soul mates.

Darren is not me.

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 19:23:43

I am not Darren. He's too young to be me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.