Is it even worth discussing what a colossal bellend Farrage is?

(53 Posts)
mcmoonfucker Mon 20-Jan-14 22:10:20
TheDoctrineOf2014 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:03:10

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is....

But it's still dwarfed by the monstrous hugeness of his bellendity.

hazchem Mon 20-Jan-14 23:19:01

That is one of the funniest things I've read, it's only slightly undermined but the truthfulness of it

lackingideas Tue 21-Jan-14 00:11:47

What I found most depressing its that this wasn't a blunder that he'd backtrack on or apologise for. It appears those were acceptable things to say, and will probably earn him votes or political donations.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jan-14 00:15:14

let me try to put it into words....

nah

can't be arsed

NigellasDealer Tue 21-Jan-14 00:16:10

no.
like 'bellendity' though grin

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Tue 21-Jan-14 00:19:49

I see him I'm reminded of that blue eagle in the muppets

And the word bawbag grin

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 21-Jan-14 00:20:07

No - batshit crazy

BelleCurve Tue 21-Jan-14 06:21:55

Trouble is, I reckon the majority of people actually agree with him on this one angry

merrymouse Tue 21-Jan-14 06:39:28

It's really not surprising that some men in the city might find it difficult to work out how to employ a woman, poor loves.

I mean, they've found the whole "employing honest people who won't completely @% things up and who can understand the difference between banking and working in a betting shop" thing quite challenging too.

MomsStiffler Tue 21-Jan-14 09:07:17

I think it'd be naive to think it couldn't be detrimental in some cases. But that's also the case for people that take any time off - due to injury/illness for example.

But if you suggested to a rugby playing city boy that he'd be less employable because he plays, or that people shouldn't go on skiing trips there would be uproar!

MomsStiffler Tue 21-Jan-14 09:09:54

And I don't like the fact that his attitude is "I can't change that" - that's just lazy!!

I think it's refreshing.

On the back of the thread the other day about the partner who doesn't believe in the patriarchy and thinks women have equality, someone stands up and spells out the mindset of the patriarchy and the truth of the situation if judged through a fairly short term business lens.

This is what equality means to a lot of men in senior roles.

I think it is helpful to get it out there and remind everyone what women face.

He doesn't realise that in breaking ranks and saying this he is undoing years of lip service to equality that has hidden the real challenges.

But then he is, as has been mentioned, a colossal bellend.

And I say this having experienced almost the exact scenario he describes. I don't work in the city but I work in a role where your ability to bring income into the firm is reliant on client relationships. When you go on mat leave those clients are shared amongst the team and you 'lose' the contacts. You come back from Mat leave to a standing start, with no one to get business from and no work. Taking 8 months mat leave set my career back 2 years. By the time I have had my second child it will be more like 5 years.

It is dispiriting

hopskipandthump Tue 21-Jan-14 09:32:41

ThinkAboutIt - perhaps there should be a system where clients are 'returned' to you after mat leave? Would that be workable?

To some extent there is, but it's a relationship thing and a knowledge thing. Mid project it is hard to transition. And honestly, the clients that get 'returned' tend to be the tricky ones you don't get much work out of. The fun / big / high value clients - once someone else has that relationship it's hard to grapple it off them. We get bonuses and evaluated on how much we bring in.

flatmum Tue 21-Jan-14 09:41:56

What a cock. I too think it's probably a good thing that he has highlighted the fact that most I the City is still run by dickheads like him who perpetuate female inequality (to protect their own positions). I would have thought he's lost himself a good through female hug achiever votes as well, which can only be a good thing.

flatmum Tue 21-Jan-14 09:42:23

High

What he says is true.

<everyone falls over>

Before you reach for your pitchforks, allow me to elaborate:

What he says is true within the current system whereby a long-hours competitive culture is the norm and individuals can't challenge it because they just get pushed out. Children are seen as women's responsibility and they take months out of the competition when they have them. Men can have children and take no time out of the long-hours 100% commitment or you're a slacker competition.

It sets women up to fail to meet all the expectations that are set, and when inevitably they do, people like Mr. B End point and say see, I told you, women can't compete with men.

…and if course if women try to behave like men are encouraged to, there's a whole convoy of trucks carrying guilt to heap upon these 'working mothers' who neglect their children's emotional wellbeing and raise an ASBO generation. sad

Remind me, why are we still playing by the rules made up by Farage et al?

Lottapianos Tue 21-Jan-14 09:49:42

He is such a Muppet, as is anyone who talks about men and women behaving in different ways for 'biological reasons'. Where does he think the workforce of the future are going to come from if women 'give up on family life'? And absolutely no one is asking the same of men. Agree with other posters that its a good thing that his version of 'equality' has come to light.

Lottapianos Tue 21-Jan-14 09:49:50

He is such a Muppet, as is anyone who talks about men and women behaving in different ways for 'biological reasons'. Where does he think the workforce of the future are going to come from if women 'give up on family life'? And absolutely no one is asking the same of men. Agree with other posters that its a good thing that his version of 'equality' has come to light.

Lottapianos Tue 21-Jan-14 09:50:00

Lottapianos Tue 21-Jan-14 09:50:47

Oops, sorry! Stupid phone

Remind me, why are we still playing by the rules made up by Farage et al?

Because they have the power. The ability to bestow high earning jobs (and many / most other jobs at least on some level) is in the power of men like this. So we play by their rules.

Sorry to sound defeatist but it highlights what a slow process change is going to be. We have to persuade them to change the rules. We can't just opt to play by a different set.

It would be like saying to the suffragettes - 'ignore their stupid rules, go out and vote anyway'. Or am I missing something?

I get that we can shift mindsets with regards to female guilt though, and eventually we can shift mindsets of those doing the hiring but it's going to be slow. Another generation at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now