Happy families the card game.

(7 Posts)
louloutheshamed Mon 30-Dec-13 17:52:16

Pil bought this for ds 3yo for Xmas. Mil says she is looking forward to playing it with him over the new year.

It's all mr crumb the baker/fireman/dr/etc and then mrs....the baker's/fireman's/dr's wife.

I know it's twee a d old fashioned,but I really don't like it, but it's one of those where if I say anything to pil I would come across as a completely humourless harpy but I really would like to make the point to them. How do I do it?

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 30-Dec-13 17:54:00

There are a few versions of this.

I bought a new version for nursery a few years back. All the women had cool jobs too. The fireman's wife was a scientist, for example.

There's ones with extended families, same sex families etc too.

NiceTabard Mon 30-Dec-13 18:42:27

My FIL bought the children the most HIDEOUS 3 pack of 50s style card games recently. I threw it away. I'll see if I can find a link. It was just vile. the happy families was hideous. And yes I agree that the men are all doing stuff and the women are all just defined by mrs husband name.

The whole thing made me flinch violently. I had caricatures of "red indians" and all sorts.

PenguinsDontEatStollen Mon 30-Dec-13 21:10:37

How annoying! The one we had wasn't too bad. It was both couples had the same job - Mr Farmer and Mrs Farmer, Mr Baker and Mrs Baker, etc, etc. DD lost loads of cards though, so we binned it.

BuffytheElfSquisher Mon 30-Dec-13 21:16:49

Go through it with a black felt tip and change it so that half the male characters are the baker's, doctor's, firefighter's husband? I'm sure that'll smooth things over with the PIL <helpful>

louloutheshamed Tue 31-Dec-13 11:12:06

Haha yes maybe that's the way to do it!

ROARmeow Tue 31-Dec-13 21:18:21

Ohh, I had that same thing back in the 1980s when I was a child. Hours of fun.... although now I think about it more I can see that it wasn't very feminist....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now