Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Would a real feminist care?

(27 Posts)
fluffyduckie Fri 27-Dec-13 18:33:05

I work with a few women at work and one is quite a bit older than me and has recently become a feminist. She has never really liked me (not sure why!) but has now decided that I represent everything that a feminist should hate. I don't know if it is just that she has some major issue with me and saying she is a feminist means that she feels free to express this.

Basically her issues with me are that I am a "walking 1950s stereotype" pretty much because I am kind of old fashioned, like girly things, am quite domestic and crafty (interests rather than actual skill) and I like to read old books and magazines. I know that I am old fashioned in some ways but I look reasonable normal (she objects to hair accessories) and I don't dress or act like I am from another decade.

So I think that it is just that she has an issue with me but she has said a fair few times that any feminist would have an issue with my interests. I like domestic stuff but I don't go around proclaiming that everyone should think exactly as I do. There have been issues before between us with sarcastic comments and digs but she has never really been open about it until now.

Loopytiles Tue 31-Dec-13 16:46:45

Rude, unacceptable workplace behaviour! Ask her to stop and if she continues and employer is good, complain.

nosleeptillbedtime Tue 31-Dec-13 16:50:39

I think she has a go at you because she is an unpleasant idiot not because she is a feminist. I like cooking, would love to be a stay ant home mum and have ambitions to learn to sew . I think her definition of a feminist is very narrow and old fashioned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now