Oooh oooh ooh, is THIS 'mansplaining' in action??

(32 Posts)

I post a FB rant (just a small one) about our local independent builders' merchant, who have an advert in todays local rag featuring a semi naked woman and some drills hmm

Male 'friend' tootles along and tells me "Ah yes but sex sells you know, and there are worse culprits if you really want to be complaining about it".

Indeed there are. Doesn't mean I can't be pissed off that the local trader which I always use instead of Travis Perkins in an effort to be more conscious about where our money goes, has decided to buy into that damaging objectifying shit, does it??

KaseyM Fri 20-Dec-13 20:00:26

Problem is men mansplain because they simply don't understand. If they lived in a world of a million Diet Coke Ads maybe they would ...

hiddenhome Thu 19-Dec-13 20:28:22

Why not ask them to display a naked man next to a circular saw? grin

rosabud Thu 19-Dec-13 16:15:53

Of course sex sells (to men) - that was your point and the thing you were objecting to. How dare he mansplain YOUR OWN POINT back to you! I can't bear men like that, I really can't - pompous, that's what they are.

NiceTabard Wed 18-Dec-13 22:34:46

Well quite youmakemewanna.

Just remembering my younger days with clubs abroad where they had people out trying to get people in and they had attractive people of both sexes trying to get people to come in. Sex sells. That's true. Maybe "attractiveness sells" would be more apt? When did it change from attractiveness to "sex"?

Anyway.

What form "sex sells" takes depends on who you are, where you are, and what time you're in. I find it baffling that white heterosexual men in the UK say "sex sells" and they really, genuinely think that "sex" involves white females within a certain age range and currently fashionable physical form. They forget (?) that in different places, and at different times, "sex" selling has looked somewhat different. At some points, maybe a bit like them...

AskBasilAboutCranberrySauce Wed 18-Dec-13 22:15:10

I think it's not about being patronised though, the whole point of naked women, isn't actually to give men boners, it's to bond with them over the fact that we're all blokes here and phew, thank goodness we're not one of those lesser beings.

You walk into a garage/ tool place like that and you're walking into a place which invites you to revel in your privilege. It's deeply comforting for you if you are nob who needs to access your privilege in order to feel good about yourself.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Wed 18-Dec-13 22:11:17

As a het woman,I don't think I would chose a firm that used hot sexy men as advertising over a firm that didn't (prices and quality being equal). In fact, I think I might be less likely to because it just smacks of desperation and is so patronising.

How do men not feel patronised day in, day out...like their penises are so weak they can be tricked into throwing cash at whatever product gives them a flash of thigh? Buying the product won't get customers any closer to sleeping with the models!

I guess they don't use naked men as much because everyone knows that women are dead below the waist and only endure sex to get a man, whereas men need to see naked women on the regular or their balls will go blue and burst. Fact.

Great point about how the majority of the population are sexually attracted to men, not women. Maybe it's assumed men have the money, but didn't a recent study show that women spent the majority of a couples' income?

AskBasilAboutCranberrySauce Wed 18-Dec-13 22:02:59

There's a garage near us which has a picture of a woman with no clothes on on the window.

Fuck knows why.

My DD has said she'd like to vandalise it.

CaptainHindsight Wed 18-Dec-13 21:52:35

Was it an Sds drill? You can't drill concrete floors without one.
slightly off topic there

I live in an area where the local scrap merchants was banned from promoting their "sexy" ads so they just put a strategically placed BANNED sign over the women's bodies.

I called them up and raged that I had to explain to my Ds who was around 5 at the time that they weren't "scrapping" women but using them to sell a service. Fuming was not the word.

They have gone bust now, what a shame grin

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:50:53

Go QOFE!

He's backed down quite a bit now after I had a sort-of go at him.

NiceTabard Wed 18-Dec-13 21:48:50

I might be persuaded to buy something that I was looking for, over another vendor, if it was offered by a smoking hot man in tight pants.

Where do I get to see that again? Oh yes, nowhere. <waits for someone to cite the diet coke ad and david beckham. and the fact that it's so RARE everyone can name the ads where it is that way around).

So is the argument that "sex sells" only valid for things to be sold to heterosexual men? As women are slightly more numerous than men in the UK, and (?) stats say that more men are gay than women, statistically if "sex sells" then the majority of the population are sexually attracted to men. By some margin. So remind me again why it is semi-clad women (or their body parts) all over the place, and not male ones.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm it's a mystery isn't it hmm

She's not actually holding a drill, to be fair. She's holding a sign that says "Great deals for you" and doing that pouting-over-her-shoulder thing. With very red lipstick on, and surrounded by drills and cordless detectors. I'd put the pic on my profile but because its a small local business and the name is all over the advert, it would make me and my location very easily identifiable. Should've namechanged!

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:46:55

Did he say "diet coke ad"?

tribpot Wed 18-Dec-13 21:43:13

He's quite the expert, isn't he? Has he confused Mad Men with a modern-day documentary, I wonder?

No, no naked man.

'Friend' has told me now that sex is used to sell things to women too so it must be okay then

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:39:58

Trib I don't disagree re agencies picking white over non white, by a racist campaign I meant one which showed a non white person in a demeaning or objectified position because of their race.

tribpot Wed 18-Dec-13 21:38:58

I feel very sorry for the woman who posed for this advert, I hope some of the accessories have been Photoshopped on to her. I would rather be buck naked than cavorting with power tools whilst wearing a red bowler hat and elbow length lace gloves.

It must be a terrible health and safety risk. She appears to be naked on her top half but wearing a red bowler hat with a sprig of holly on it (no safety helmet in sight) and elbow length lace gloves hmm.

Even I know to tie my hair back and wear a top when using power tools, and I am shit at DIY.

And yes, exactly, its sexism not sex. Ugh.

fivegolddeblooms Wed 18-Dec-13 21:31:14

I agree with everything you say.

Except for your use of the term 'mansplaining', which I personally hate.

tribpot Wed 18-Dec-13 21:29:36

Actually Santa I think many advertisers would be quite open about not using non-white people in adverts where it might have a negative effect on sales. But I agree, it's sexism they're selling.

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:29:03

To have the heterosexual sex you need one naked man and one naked woman.

Does the ad have a naked man in?

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:25:16

If racism sold, would that be ok?

If homophobia brought the customers in, would that be just dandy?

What about a "comedy" ad campaign hiding stuff from a blind person? Would catch the attention, would not be acceptable.

It's not sex they are selling, it's sexism.

Grr. Aargh.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Wed 18-Dec-13 21:22:14

Urgh...call him on it! Mind you, most of the time I can't be bothered to engage with this sort of thing unless I'm pissed or angry it rarely changes their minds sad

I'm highly dubious about the 'sex sells' mantra too. Does it? A stereotypically attractive woman presented in a sexual way (cleavage, lingerie etc.) may draw the eye (both male and female) but when these images are everywhere it's unlikely to make people dwell any longer on the ad than on any non-sexy ad. Indeed looking at a sexy-ad would mean 2 seconds of looking at tits, looking at a non-sexy ad would mean 2 seconds absorbing the info, surely? And is anyone, even the most ogling of oglers more likely to buy stuff just because they use semi-clad women in their advertising; everyone knows you don't actually get a free bj just because you buy a drill from the OP's DIY merchants.

I think maybe sex sold at one point when it was new, risqué and attention grabbing...not any more, surely?

TheDoctrineOfSanta Wed 18-Dec-13 21:20:15

Using power tools naked is a massive health and safety issue, surely?

I wonder if sex actually does sell? Yes, it catches the eye but surely in this case it's in a "why does that naked woman have a drill?" way rather than a "hmm, bet they are a reliable supplier" way?

NiceTabard Wed 18-Dec-13 20:32:12

haha yes good question from your DD.

There is a lingerie ad in london at the moment which simply seems to be selling "sexy women". I can't quite work out who it's aimed at either confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now