Oooh oooh ooh, is THIS 'mansplaining' in action??

(32 Posts)

I post a FB rant (just a small one) about our local independent builders' merchant, who have an advert in todays local rag featuring a semi naked woman and some drills hmm

Male 'friend' tootles along and tells me "Ah yes but sex sells you know, and there are worse culprits if you really want to be complaining about it".

Indeed there are. Doesn't mean I can't be pissed off that the local trader which I always use instead of Travis Perkins in an effort to be more conscious about where our money goes, has decided to buy into that damaging objectifying shit, does it??

AskBasilAboutCranberrySauce Wed 18-Dec-13 22:02:59

There's a garage near us which has a picture of a woman with no clothes on on the window.

Fuck knows why.

My DD has said she'd like to vandalise it.

YouMakeMeWannaLaLa Wed 18-Dec-13 22:11:17

As a het woman,I don't think I would chose a firm that used hot sexy men as advertising over a firm that didn't (prices and quality being equal). In fact, I think I might be less likely to because it just smacks of desperation and is so patronising.

How do men not feel patronised day in, day out...like their penises are so weak they can be tricked into throwing cash at whatever product gives them a flash of thigh? Buying the product won't get customers any closer to sleeping with the models!

I guess they don't use naked men as much because everyone knows that women are dead below the waist and only endure sex to get a man, whereas men need to see naked women on the regular or their balls will go blue and burst. Fact.

Great point about how the majority of the population are sexually attracted to men, not women. Maybe it's assumed men have the money, but didn't a recent study show that women spent the majority of a couples' income?

AskBasilAboutCranberrySauce Wed 18-Dec-13 22:15:10

I think it's not about being patronised though, the whole point of naked women, isn't actually to give men boners, it's to bond with them over the fact that we're all blokes here and phew, thank goodness we're not one of those lesser beings.

You walk into a garage/ tool place like that and you're walking into a place which invites you to revel in your privilege. It's deeply comforting for you if you are nob who needs to access your privilege in order to feel good about yourself.

NiceTabard Wed 18-Dec-13 22:34:46

Well quite youmakemewanna.

Just remembering my younger days with clubs abroad where they had people out trying to get people in and they had attractive people of both sexes trying to get people to come in. Sex sells. That's true. Maybe "attractiveness sells" would be more apt? When did it change from attractiveness to "sex"?

Anyway.

What form "sex sells" takes depends on who you are, where you are, and what time you're in. I find it baffling that white heterosexual men in the UK say "sex sells" and they really, genuinely think that "sex" involves white females within a certain age range and currently fashionable physical form. They forget (?) that in different places, and at different times, "sex" selling has looked somewhat different. At some points, maybe a bit like them...

rosabud Thu 19-Dec-13 16:15:53

Of course sex sells (to men) - that was your point and the thing you were objecting to. How dare he mansplain YOUR OWN POINT back to you! I can't bear men like that, I really can't - pompous, that's what they are.

hiddenhome Thu 19-Dec-13 20:28:22

Why not ask them to display a naked man next to a circular saw? grin

KaseyM Fri 20-Dec-13 20:00:26

Problem is men mansplain because they simply don't understand. If they lived in a world of a million Diet Coke Ads maybe they would ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now