Book about strong women!

(16 Posts)
WilsonFrickett Tue 17-Dec-13 22:42:27

Am I allowed to be annoyed by the title of the Sandy Toksvig book? I wanted to get dS something similar as he's going through a not particularly pleasant 'girls are rubbish' phase. This book would be perfect but I also don't want to givr the message 'boys are worst'.

WoTmania Mon 16-Dec-13 17:06:02

A Mighty Girl have some suggestions smile

enlightenmequick Mon 16-Dec-13 15:17:29

Errol my dd is 13 and I've got it her for a stocking present. I figure if it's aimed younger, she'll just read it quicker, but at least she'll learn.

I quite fancy a read myself!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 16-Dec-13 15:09:27

The amazon reviews imply it's for maybe ages 7-11, is that about right? (wish I'd got it for my DD a few years back, she's 14 now...no matter, she knows we're brilliant! grin)

CaptChaosGlitteryBaubles Mon 16-Dec-13 15:06:22

I second the Sandi Toksvig one, it's chock full of facts about women being brilliant, with quirky illustrations and great humour.

I didn't buy it for myself, honest blush

enlightenmequick Mon 16-Dec-13 14:54:31

Sorry slug, didn't click on your link 1st. blush

enlightenmequick Mon 16-Dec-13 14:50:34

Sandra toksvig- girls are best.

here

slug Mon 16-Dec-13 14:36:29
artemisandaphrodite Mon 16-Dec-13 14:26:44

Thanks too, Captain! no need to blush smile

artemisandaphrodite Mon 16-Dec-13 14:21:24

Oops, that was to Errol - x-posts! Thanks.

CaptainHindsight Mon 16-Dec-13 14:19:10

Sorry didn't read the OP properly blush

Its not a factual book but its awesome non the less!

artemisandaphrodite Mon 16-Dec-13 14:18:29

I like the look of that. Have just added to my basket smile Thanks!

CaptainHindsight Mon 16-Dec-13 14:18:13

DS loves Paperbag Princess amazon link

It has been a firm favorite in our house and my DN love it too!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 16-Dec-13 14:17:19

I've not come across one myself, but an amazon search found this which apparently is KS2 level - unfortunately there are no reviews with it.

YesAnastasia Mon 16-Dec-13 14:07:09

I have boys so I'd be interested too smile

Coincidentally (or not), I read ZOG (Julia Donaldson) to my 3yo DS earlier & I was just thinking what a positive message about girls it has.

artemisandaphrodite Mon 16-Dec-13 14:02:06

(Sorry to spam two boards with this but it's just occurred to me that people might be extra-clued up about my query on this board!)

I'd really love a book for DD that is a kind of encylopaedia/showcase of women who have achieved amazing things in science, politics, engineering etc - aimed at a 6yo or thereabouts! People like Rosa Parks, the Pankhursts, Marie Curie, etc, etc ... ideally heavy on the pictures and a bit lighter on the text - just main facts.

Does anyone have a title for me ... please?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now