Chairman or chairperson?

(28 Posts)
OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 13:21:38

What do you use?

DS has been asked to find the plural of Chairman and I feel it could be a teaching tool.

Chairmen? Chairpeople?

Takver Mon 02-Dec-13 18:49:40

Re more heavily gendered languages: in Spanish many people - admittedly generally of a certain political persuasion grin - use the @ symbol in writing to denote unknown gender (so eg doctor@ )

(Good old Wikipedia says the anarchist A-in-a-circle is also sometimes used, but I've never seen that in practice. )

ChunkyPickle Mon 02-Dec-13 16:41:16

Oh, and plurals default to male unless they're all women..

ChunkyPickle Mon 02-Dec-13 16:40:51

www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/midwife

Right down at the bottom - old English - mid == with, wif == woman - although their definition assumes that a midwife is a woman.

The languages I have familiarity of are all heavily gendered - so you'd be presidente/a etc.

sashh Mon 02-Dec-13 15:31:43

ChunkyPickle

I didn't know that, thank you.

What happens in other languages? Is it even an issue? I mean if you are a teacher in France you are Le Proffesor regardless of sex.

OrlandoWoolf Sun 01-Dec-13 20:33:24

piglet Never too young to make a feminist point

NoComet Sun 01-Dec-13 20:19:25

male not make

NoComet Sun 01-Dec-13 20:18:24

I don't care!

The astronomy society at university got so pissed off with PC edicts from the Guild of students, we decided to have a chairbeing. We had make and female ones while I was there.

PigletJohn Sun 01-Dec-13 20:12:49

if it is 8-yo DS homework, surely they are testing to see if he says "Chairmans?"

and not to examine awareness of gender-specific titles.

ChunkyPickle Sun 01-Dec-13 19:52:52

sashh - I know that I've seen on here that the wife bit of mid wife refers to the woman giving birth, not the midwife themselves, so midwife is non-gendered anyhow (at least until men can give birth)

Definitely Chairs, and Clergy - MIL works in local government and they all use 'Chair' rather than 'Chairman'

TeiTetua Sun 01-Dec-13 19:19:25

I think we should stick with "chairman" so that we can continue to enjoy hearing someone else in the meeting addressing her as "Madam chairman".

TheDoctrineOfWho Sun 01-Dec-13 18:00:30

Yes, but it's also a verb - eg Susan chaired the meeting.

GoldieMumbles Sun 01-Dec-13 17:56:22

Isn't a chair a piece of furniture that you sit on?

Giyadas Sun 01-Dec-13 09:59:29

Maybe we should revert back to calling men 'wermen' then man can go back to meaning human being. If only things were that easy.

sashh Sun 01-Dec-13 07:55:35

I think 'chair' is quite common now.

Personally I see no reason why a woman cannot be a chairman, we are after all women not wopersons.

And men who become midwives are still midwives not midhusbands.

TheDoctrineOfWho Sat 30-Nov-13 18:16:05

I like your style, WF.

WilsonFrickett Sat 30-Nov-13 18:05:41

Chairs and clergy. And a nice note to the teacher saying you enjoyed helping DD find non-gendered plurals not that I'm PA, not me, no way

Takver Sat 30-Nov-13 18:02:08

I would agree with educated that the plural of clergyman is 'clergy'. Perhaps that is the point being made? That you have one clergyman or clergywoman, but many clergy? (at least I don't, good thing as I have no naice tea nor thin biscuits, but one might)

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 17:57:23

You're not kidding.

It will be interesting when they mark the test.

EduCated Sat 30-Nov-13 17:44:05

Surely that would just be 'the clergy'? They seem an odd bunch of words!

OrlandoWoolf Sat 30-Nov-13 16:52:54

We also have clergyman.

So going to have a chat with DS about this. He's 8.

TheSmallClanger Sat 30-Nov-13 16:29:28

We use Chair and Chairs.

I like the expression, "The Chair". It sounds suitably intimidating.

Takver Sat 30-Nov-13 16:16:00

I was going to say 'facilitator', which seems to be the descriptor of choice these days in meetings I go to, but I see that won't help grin

I think the answer has to be 'chairmen', but would be discussing with my ds why this is an outdated word.

mousmous Sat 30-Nov-13 16:08:10

we use chair at work.
but for a very official work thing chairman is used. I always change it o chairwoman if applicable as it rankles me. no one has commented on it (yet).

EduCated Sat 30-Nov-13 15:59:53

We just use Chair at work, so would use Chairs.

TheDoctrineOfWho Sat 30-Nov-13 15:58:41

The plural of Chairman is Chairmen.

I use Chair, or Non-ExecChair/ExecChair where poss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now